You can add resistors to lower the volume of a Zero dac/amp
Oct 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
Considering name of this topic ... you can add resistor to lower volume:

Hey, that's interesting. Is this something you've already done yourself? And do you know how much the volume is lowered in dB, by adding these two resistors?

I'm actually also considering to just send the unit back and get a refund. What good is a headphone dac/amp that can't drive a 44Ohm headphone out of the box?

But on the other hand, if I just these two resistors, I might have a working solution today. Hm.... choices.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #18 of 23
These two additional resistors has same effect as if you replace R1 with 6K8.
So instead of 15dB gain you will get 7dB (both at full volume).
I tried this, but not using it anymore since I have new amp that is way better.
This "problem" is well known, ZERO just has too much gain - ideal for K240M or any other non-sensitive 600ohm headphones.

So add these resistor and remove those on output.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #19 of 23
AmarokCZ: Thanks. I added the two resistors, and it does lower the volume. It makes the Zero usable with my Shure SRH840, although just barely.
If I'd like to lower the volume even further, could I do the same thing with different resistors?

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #20 of 23
Try lower resistors instead of 10kohm - or you can short-circuit R1 
blink.gif

If short-circuited maximum voltage vould be 2Vrms (gain -1dB).

EDIT: even shorted R1 won't be enough, because SHR840 has high sensitivity, but it should be more usable.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #23 of 23
  No, the "new" 09 amp is the same. My new amp is this: http://amarokcz.wz.cz/BUFFE.htm

Ahh, gotcha.  Thanks much for the link - great stuff in that website.  Thanks much for the hard work and for sharing all of the details, measurements, and suggestions with us - much appreciated  
biggrin.gif

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back