Yoshimi and Kid A...
Mar 6, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #33 of 46
Can't believe I forgot My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

also, the only reason Bowie's Low is so good is because of Brian Eno...

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe some of the classics. Check out the recently remastered Can albums like 'Future Days', notable as the last in the amazing trilogy of 'Tago Mago' and its funkier follow-up 'Ege Bamyasi.' You'll probably notice a few similarities to Kid A. Some other great trilogies come to mind as well, like David Bowie's 'Station to Station', 'Low' & "Heroes", and Roxy Music's 'Roxy Music', 'For Your Pleasure' & 'Stranded'; and especially Talking Heads' 'More Songs About Buildings and Food', 'Fear of Music' & 'Remain in Light.'

this is a great recommendations post; awesome albums, all of them. especially Bowie's Berlin Trilogy, great stuff right there.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #35 of 46
My first thought was Z by My Morning Jacket...

Also Bloc Party - Silent Alarm perhaps?
And !!! - Myth Takes
For more electronic/indie pop, try Ratatat - Ratatat, their sound can be repetitive but it is also a unique one for the genre.
And more along the lines of ladytron and the knife: hot chip - the warning, sound team - movie monster

People who like Radiohead often like Tilly & the Wall, a creative band that pulls percussion out of tap-dancing.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by UezeU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. Yoshimi and Kid A are on the same page. Of course, this is just an opinion. But, I AM RIGHT (i think).

The 'Lips At War With the Mystics and Soft Bulletin are right up there with Yoshimi. Others have mentioned Soft Bulletin, but I personally think At War With the Mystics (newest) is the best they've ever done.

There is no one else like Flaming Lips.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #37 of 46
a lot of the stuff i was going to recomend has already been mentioned, so some of these are a bit more varied:
Saloon - If We Meet In The Future
Cornelius - Fantasma
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
Sparklehorse - Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain

if you are short on time/money check out the sparklehorse one first

also i second the new of montreal album - not as poppy as their earlier stuff - quite dark really (well compared to yoshimi !)
and that spiritualized album is fantastic

for something more chilled out, check out 'Air', if you dont already know them (get moon safari first)

edit:
you might also like to try some post rock stuff:
mogwai, explosions in the sky

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #38 of 46
stuff i would compare to the flips:
Murcery Rev - Deserter's Songs
Summer Hymns - Voice Brother & Sister
Ween - The Mollusk

stuff i would compare to kid a:
Richie Hawtin - DE9: Closer to the Edit
Mouse On Mars - Idiology
Liars - They Were Wrong, So We Drowned

i really should be able to think of more, but i'm drawing a blank right now.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #39 of 46
I'm not a huge fan of Radiohead or Kid A, but for stuff similar to Yoshimi there's:

Super Furry Animals - Radiator: Just got this the other day, similar to the Lips but a bit more... Welsh?

Beck - Sea Change: Really trippy and cool

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin, At War With The Mystics: I second all TSB recommendations, but I'm always suprised at the lack of love for ATWTM. After the first couple of tracks there's a great Yoshimi-esque vibe going on.

This is a great thread, I'm always looking for more stuff in the vein of Yoshimi but have a hard time finding any.

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cornelius - Fantasma

Seconded!

Here's some more recommendations:

Nobody & Mystic Chords of Memory - "Tree Colored See"
The Notwist - "Neon Golden"
Brainiac - "Smack Bunny Baby"
The Olivia Tremor Control - "Dusk at Cubist Castle"
Circulatory System - s/t
The Fiery Furnaces - "Blueberry Boat"
Stereolab - "Emperor Tomato Ketchup"
Why? - "Elephant Eyelash"
Beach House - s/t
Bound Stems - "The Logic of Building the Body Plan"

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 46
I've been away for a bit. Thought I would post a consolidated list of thoughts. I have liked most recommendations in one way or another. Here is a few that I was able to give a little time to.

Akron Family – Not my style, but it has its moments
Aphex Twin – Nice and Mellow
Bjork – Bjork is well Bjork, some of it is too out there, but some kicks ass
Brian Eno – A little too subdued for my taste
David Bowie “Low” – I really liked this album
Gentle Giant – I probably needs more listening to comment, so far “OK”
Ladytron – I really dug some of it, good electric/techno
LCD Soundsystem - really liked it
M83 – good stuff, I find myself listening more and more
Menomena – Another good band, great recommendation
My Bloody Valentine – Cross between Smashing Pumpkins and Deftones (Around the Fur), good stuff

I will eventually get to more, I owe it to you guys. If you can forgive my comma splice, I will now get to listening to more music and lookin at recommendations I haven't yet got yet.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #43 of 46
Modest Mouse -- "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" (note: the Flaming Lips even play back up on the album's last track.) If you like that, check out Modest Mouse's previous album "The Moon and Antarctica" -- maybe sort of mid-way between Kid A and the Lips.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #44 of 46
Grandaddy - Sumday
Beck - Mutations
Pavement - Terror Twilight
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back