Yoshimi and Kid A...
Mar 5, 2007 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

UezeU

100+ Head-Fier
Any recommendations on music with the same tone as Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and Kid A. I can't get enough of the sound. NEED MORE!

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 46
Well the obvious ones are amnesiac along with other radiohead albums (try thom yorke as well) and other flaming lips albums..

Oh, LCD soundsystem might be to your liking as well

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 46
I've got everything from Radiohead and the Lips, these albums stick out in my mind and kick ASS (in my humble opinion). Just looking for some new stuff. I will give LCD Soundsystem a try.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 46
Thanks for the LCD. Just what i was looking for. Anyone else?
smily_headphones1.gif
340smile.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 46
The new Menomena album is great- Friend and Foe. Broken Social Scene falls into that vein of music I guess. The Books are a little more moody and mellow, but Lost and Safe is one of my favorite albums in a long time. Panurge? Thee More Shallows? All bands worth sampling anyway.

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 46
Maybe some of the classics. Check out the recently remastered Can albums like 'Future Days', notable as the last in the amazing trilogy of 'Tago Mago' and its funkier follow-up 'Ege Bamyasi.' You'll probably notice a few similarities to Kid A. Some other great trilogies come to mind as well, like David Bowie's 'Station to Station', 'Low' & "Heroes", and Roxy Music's 'Roxy Music', 'For Your Pleasure' & 'Stranded'; and especially Talking Heads' 'More Songs About Buildings and Food', 'Fear of Music' & 'Remain in Light.'

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 46
I'm a big fan of Kid A and Yoshimi as well. I hadn't considered them "together" - Kid A strikes me much colder than Yoshimi which always strikes me as lush and warm despite the subject matter of the lyrics. I'll have to listen to them back to back today - interesting juxtaposition.

First thing that hit me to suggest to you was Porcupine Tree. I particularly like the live album, Warszawa but all their stuff is worth listening to.

Guess I need to pick up LCD Soundsystem myself.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by UezeU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nfusion770. Man, I love Menomena. Gimme some more.

if you like yoshimi, you might want to try out Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Its a little more acoustic but its still one of my favorite albums.

Notable Tracks: Jesus Etc.
Kamera
Heavy Metal Drummer
etc

basically the whole album is great

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by UezeU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nfusion770. Man, I love Menomena. Gimme some more.

I bought "I am the Fun Blame Monster" a few years ago and couldn't really get into it. My brother turned me on to "Friend and Foe" about a month ago- love it, but I still don't like the old album.

I am not at my music computer right now and most of the other bands I can think of are more psych folk- Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Akron Family- not quite the same.

Wilco is very good and I guess along the same lines as The Flaming Lips.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 46
Of Montreal is another band with that sound. But are a little pop.

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer

Also for older stuff check out anything by Brian Eno. A lot of amient music/noise (musical noise.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back