Yodobashi-Akiba in Japan...
Jun 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #16 of 29
The Yodobashi Camera in Osaka (Umeda) has the same setup, but if you go around the corner, there is a listening section with the true "high end"/+$500 cans, including the Stax (SR-007), Audio Technica (W5000, AD2000, etc.), Sennheiser, AKG, etc. etc., all are driven by high end amps. There were 6 different listening stations with chairs, and a collection of about 10 CDs to choose from
Its definitely possible there's one in the Yodobashi in Akiba as well
o2smile.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #17 of 29
Holy ****, where are the cute Japanese Girls?

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #18 of 29
Yodobashi Akiba has a listening station. There was a Luxman P-1 in one of the booths last time I was there. Indeed, buying hi-fi from such an electronics store is rather stupid because of the noise. Most of the Bic Camera or Yodobashi stores have, even in the more isolated rooms, not enough separation to drown out the enormous din of noise from around the store. My local Bic is shocking: The headphones had been there for years and were in tatters, with the cables tangled up. They eventually rebuilt it, but then hid away the plugs so one couldn't bring in an iPod and amp and try any of the cans without asking for assistance. Then there's my local Yodobashi: Has in the cabinet many of the top-tier models (except Stax now) but you can't demo most of them!

Believe me, the novelty value of big electronics stores wears off fast living here.

By the way, all the cute girls are here in Fukuoka. I'm not kidding. I've met single airline stewardesses who can't find boyfriends here, it's so crazy.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #19 of 29
Yea, thats a good point. The ambient noise really made critical listening a bit difficult, even with the listening station tucked away in the corner of the store

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, all the cute girls are here in Fukuoka. I'm not kidding. I've met single airline stewardesses who can't find boyfriends here, it's so crazy.

Got to book a ticket >.>

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #23 of 29
Wow! That is nothing short of really impressive.
biggrin.gif

All those headphones to audition, lined up in rows...

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #24 of 29
Must resist temptation to go 2 Japan! Damn it man.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Dirty minds such as mine can easily read the name of that city in a funny way especially given the context.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #26 of 29
By the way, I found the Best Denki (tr. Best Electrical) here has a headphone listening station with a Luxman P-200, AT amp (forgot the model number) Esoteric CD player (!!!!) and a bunch of top HPs such as D5000s, SA-5000s, W5000s and the like to try. It's a bit noisy, but I'm sure one can go around and turn down the volume on the nearby displays for some listening time. I'll take a photo next time I'm in the city.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Yodobashi Akiba has a listening station. There was a Luxman P-1 in one of the booths last time I was there. Indeed, buying hi-fi from such an electronics store is rather stupid because of the noise. Most of the Bic Camera or Yodobashi stores have, even in the more isolated rooms, not enough separation to drown out the enormous din of noise from around the store. My local Bic is shocking: The headphones had been there for years and were in tatters, with the cables tangled up. They eventually rebuilt it, but then hid away the plugs so one couldn't bring in an iPod and amp and try any of the cans without asking for assistance. Then there's my local Yodobashi: Has in the cabinet many of the top-tier models (except Stax now) but you can't demo most of them!

Believe me, the novelty value of big electronics stores wears off fast living here.

The one is Osaka wasn't noisy when I went at opening time. There was hardly anyone there at that time of day and I was able to listen w/o much noise or human distractions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back