Yo Vertigo... why splurge on CDP if using DI/O?
Nov 30, 2001 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
Since I can't quite go the 9000ES/Modwright route, I'm looking for a CD transport to use with my ART DI/O...

...and I'm wondering WHY spend a lot on a CDP?

My brain is rebelling. Digital out is digital out. More expensive players provide "better 1's and 0's"? Madness. Impossible!

Nov 30, 2001 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 29
Do like me and spend $150 on a Pioneer DV-343
smily_headphones1.gif

Like the 9000ES, you get DVD playback too
smily_headphones1.gif

And you can get it modwritten if you ever want to... upgrade its transportability (this is one of those really good cheap transports)

Nov 30, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 29
In a sense, yes, when you're talking transports you're talking all about stabilizing. The heavier the player, the less jitter you'll get, and the transport will be able to send out those 0s and 1s with better accuracy. The 9000ES at a respectable 28lbs makes a fine transport...it's also nice to see that it's loading tray slot is so small, it gives a sense that the CD is probably isolated quite well within the player. The 50lbs Sony SCD-1 and 777ES and 60lbs Denon DCD-S1 make even better transports...some people get those players strictly as transports because of their sheer weight.

If you're comparing the 9000's DAC to the Art DIO's though, I'm pretty sure it'd smoke the DIO. Typically you need a DAC that's about the same price as the player, assuming the player has a good internal DAC to begin with, in order to truly beat the internal DAC by a *wide* margin. There's always used deals though on DACs that used to cost the same amount or more as a 9000ES or whatever.

Why spend a lot on a CDP? Just to save on the trouble of having to go with multiple boxes...which in turns means multiple cables. Also the SACD side of Sony's SACD players (and I believe the DVD-A side of DVD-A players) are NOT outputted through the digital out, due to piracy issues. And as said above, most CDPs nowdays have good enough DACs inside that it'd take a DAC that's pratically as much as the whole box to beat the internal DAC.

The 9000 was, and is the real ear opener to me about sources. I used to be pretty stubborn about using soundcards and MP3s, but with the 9000, I don't even think about MP3s anymore. I haven't downloaded an MP3 for the past 6 months, and for all I know, never will again. I haven't even listened to music from my computer for the past 6 months literally. I'm totally back to buying CDs. My previous source was a Denon 370. Was the 9000 worth the extra $800? HELL YES.
evil_smiley.gif
Not only does it totally murder the Denon in sound, but there is just a much bigger sense of pride I get in owning the 9000ES. As in I'm a 100% happy camper and get a big grin every time I turn it on and see that beautiful big blue light turn on and watch that solid slim little tray slowly slide out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 29
Dan Wright has very good things to say about the Pioneer DVD players as a transport only. This is the way I'm going. Perhaps it is cheaper to just buy a great CDP at the get-go and get it over with. I'm just not able to spend 1K+ for a CDP. Figure can do well with used DVD + DAC @ <$500.00 total.

Nov 30, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 29
Speaking of weight, I put my really heavy MG Head on my Pioneer unit, so, well, now its heavy
smily_headphones1.gif

Its also on this little mapleshade platform I whipped up. Though to tell you the truth I can hardly differentiate between my sound card and cdp when transporting (not factoring in the internal cd drive of the computer, which is absolutely horrible).

Nov 30, 2001 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
If you're comparing the 9000's DAC to the Art DIO's though, I'm pretty sure it'd smoke the DIO.

It doesn't. I tried it. For redbook audio, and also 24/96, the DI/O has a much fuller sound than the 9000ES' internal DAC. No loss of detail, and much more musical. Switching inputs on my preamp between the DI/O and the analog out of the 9000ES, the Sony sounds dry and uninvolving...less real (volume matching done with SPL meter, so it wasn't just the DI/O's hot output).

Nov 30, 2001 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 29
Sounds like just a tubes vs. solid state thing to me then. I think I'd prefer my 9000 plain.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 29
Tubes vs solid state? Where's the tube? A/D section only on the ART, so its solid vs solid now... (heck we all remove the tube to give more power to the d/a).

Seriously, a lot of you are underplaying the ART
smily_headphones1.gif

It is consistently compared to multithousand $ DACs and still holds ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back