Yggdrasil with USB-C / 3.5mm Macbook
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

christophhh

New Head-Fier
I've got a Yggdrasil and Ragnarok and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my Macbook as an audio source with the Yggdrasil.

I'm wondering if a USB B to USB-C cable will be OK. Or if an optical to 3.5mm jack (but digital to analog in the cable can't be proper)?

More or less wondering if USB B to USB-C is ok with this setup or if an optical to 3.5mm is less quality / looses signal quality etc. Or if there is something else I'm not realizing is a better way to hook up (my macbook has no other inputs other than USB-C and 3.5mm).

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 6
I've got a Yggdrasil and Ragnarok and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my Macbook as an audio source with the Yggdrasil.

I'm wondering if a USB B to USB-C cable will be OK. Or if an optical to 3.5mm jack (but digital to analog in the cable can't be proper)?

More or less wondering if USB B to USB-C is ok with this setup or if an optical to 3.5mm is less quality / looses signal quality etc. Or if there is something else I'm not realizing is a better way to hook up (my macbook has no other inputs other than USB-C and 3.5mm).
If your Macbook has a S/PDIF optical output port (sometimes it's the same 3.5mm jack as for the headphones).
Then you would connect the Macbook's optical output (3.5mm?) to the external DAC's (or DAC/amp) optical input port (all digital signal, no analog involved)
But to me there is nothing wrong with using USB, it's so simple and easy to use.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 6
Right..but my Macbook only has USB-C - can I use an adapter with a USB B to USB A plug? Or is there a USB B to USB C plug that is OK for audio usage like this? My new Macbook Pro does not have S/PDIF optical output in the 3.5mm jack, Apple removed it from their pro line.

So would a USB B to USB A with a USB A to USB C adapter be ok?

EDIT: Cables like this ok?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Right..but my Macbook only has USB-C - can I use an adapter with a USB B to USB A plug? Or is there a USB B to USB C plug that is OK for audio usage like this? My new Macbook Pro does not have S/PDIF optical output in the 3.5mm jack, Apple removed it from their pro line.

USB is USB, Just need the right cable termination. So yes, you can use the adapter. No problem with that.

Why not get a USB b to USB c cable? I think that's the better move.

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 6
I use the regular a to b cable and then an apple 3" usb c adapter to my MacBook and it works fine. I just hooked up an eitr to my yggy and it made a big difference in refining the sound so I definitely recommend one since you have a similar setup.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 6

USB-C cables.
Better to just use one cable, from Apple USB port to Schiit USB port, instead of using adapters.
https://www.monoprice.com/pages/usb_31_type_c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back