Yggdrasil vs Hugo 2 in loudspeaker system
Jun 1, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 25
Hi everyone,

I’m contemplating purchasing a Yggdrasil or a Hugo 2 for my main system. I own a pair of Raidho XT-1s driven by a Luxman MQ-88 (not the less expensive Chinese made MQ-88A which is a totally different design), a 40 watt KT88 based power amp. As my source I use an AK240SS loaded with a half terabyte of hi res and CD rip files, and my current DAC is a Mojo. I also have a REL subwoofer.

The sound of the system is very pleasing, yet I know the DAC is the weak point, hence my thoughts of upgrading. Since my budget is around $2,500, the Yggdrasil and the Hugo 2 seem to be the best options. The fact the Yggdrasil does not play DSD is not an issue for me since I have another system, Utopia based, that does. The one tonal issue I’d like to improve on is better extension and detail in the upper frequencies, the Raidhos being a bit soft sounding.

I imagine there have been others whom have contemplated these two choices, and I was hoping to read any comments on their experiences.

I also am considering replacing my source entirely and getting a Lumin D2, but I have a feeling it’s DAC section won’t perform to the levels of the above DACs. One last thing, the Luxman has a variable input with a front mounted potentiometer, so the Yggdrasil will work just fine.
You have a 40 watt tube amp. The specs page reccomend more power. Though they note that some good results can be had with lower power tube amp.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #18 of 25
I think you misunderstood me - it's not about owning both. I'm saying are the H2 and Yggy the ONLY options? I personally feel that there are better options for the same money.

IE. would you consider a different DAC altogether.
Aah...apologize.

Which one in particular do you like? Holo Spring, Metrum, Soekris DACs are actually good competitors for Schiit DACs. I really liked my Soekris 1541, but it is still a class behind the Yggy. I haven't tried the other ones. I do not own Yggy btw, only auditioned it. Sold the Soekris, and currently use Mimby.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 25
Aah...apologize.

Which one in particular do you like? Holo Spring, Metrum, Soekris DACs are actually good competitors for Schiit DACs. I really liked my Soekris 1541, but it is still a class behind the Yggy. I haven't tried the other ones. I do not own Yggy btw, only auditioned it. Sold the Soekris, and currently use Mimby.

I would not consider any of those DACs less than the Yggy. I know people are super in love with the Yggy on a certain forum, but to me, it’s the most over hyped product around. I don’t know if you were around a few years back but everyone was high and mighty on the GSX mk2 saying it was the best this ever. It’s a fine amp, but not as great of as everyone was saying - especially with HD800’s.

Anyway, all the usual suspects have been listed already and I would likely take anyone over a Yggy. I have not heard the new A2 Yggy.

Google “yggdrasil audio science”. There are a lot of great resources out there about the technicalities of various DACs. On a certain sound science site they examine quite a few DACs and they know what they are doing. Perhaps consider some of those suggestions.

I personally believe that a DAC should really just produce a signal; as clearly and cleanly as possible. All the distortion - or stuff in the sound that we lust after - should come along the way through the amp and transducers. But that’s me.

At the end of the day, listening for yourself, ideally double blinded, is best. I’m always surprised at much less you have to spend than you think to get great sound.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 25
I would not consider any of those DACs less than the Yggy. I know people are super in love with the Yggy on a certain forum, but to me, it’s the most over hyped product around. I don’t know if you were around a few years back but everyone was high and mighty on the GSX mk2 saying it was the best this ever. It’s a fine amp, but not as great of as everyone was saying - especially with HD800’s.

Anyway, all the usual suspects have been listed already and I would likely take anyone over a Yggy. I have not heard the new A2 Yggy.

Google “yggdrasil audio science”. There are a lot of great resources out there about the technicalities of various DACs. On a certain sound science site they examine quite a few DACs and they know what they are doing. Perhaps consider some of those suggestions.

I personally believe that a DAC should really just produce a signal; as clearly and cleanly as possible. All the distortion - or stuff in the sound that we lust after - should come along the way through the amp and transducers. But that’s me.

At the end of the day, listening for yourself, ideally double blinded, is best. I’m always surprised at much less you have to spend than you think to get great sound.
I am using the mimby. Thats $250. So yeah, it only takes that much to spend on a good DAC.

Im aware of Amir extravaganza. That guy is shady as hell.

Believe me or not, Im not into any one brand. However, Im into good value, which is rare in this hobby. Ive been following Schiit since last year, and I like them. Both Jason and Mike are down to earth and dont hide behind technical mumbo jumbo to give an impression that their products are good. If you like it, buy it. If you dont, there are good choices around. This is very much the opposite approach of their competitor who claim that their DAC is the best in the world and hide behind technical terms. While in fact, listening dont confirm those claims.

Im well aware of my audio acumen and the limitation of headphones. That is why Im not getting a yggy or pavane or dave. Im perfectly happy with my mimby. My probable upgrade path would be along the lines of Gumby/Spring 1/ amethyst etc. But Im taking it easy for now. Im more into listening to the music rather than focusing on gears.

Paulie, you said any of the mentioned DACs is no less than Yggy. Have you tried Soekris 1541? I tried it. There are things that it does very well (resolution and blackground). It is a very good DAC that I really like. Sold it only because it had a problem. I would take it easily over the Hugo 2. But to me, it is still slightly behind Yggy that I auditioned.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 25
Paulie, you said any of the mentioned DACs is no less than Yggy. Have you tried Soekris 1541? I tried it. There are things that it does very well (resolution and blackground). It is a very good DAC that I really like. Sold it only because it had a problem. I would take it easily over the Hugo 2. But to me, it is still slightly behind Yggy that I auditioned.

That's right, I don't consider those DACs as worse than the Yggy. I have heard the 1541, but it wasn't at home so it was relatively brief so I would effectively say I haven't not heard it. When I say that I would to consider any of those DAC's less than the Yggy, that's because I don't consider the Yggy to be a particularly great DAC. Again, it's fine, but there are less expensive units that I feel are much better for much less money. I have no reason to feel that any same priced DAC is better or worse than the Yggy where most immediately consider the best DAC on earth.

It sounds like you have your heart set on a Yggy: go for it. It's a fine DAC.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #23 of 25
That's right, I don't consider those DACs as worse than the Yggy. I have heard the 1541, but it wasn't at home so it was relatively brief so I would effectively say I haven't not heard it. When I say that I would to consider any of those DAC's less than the Yggy, that's because I don't consider the Yggy to be a particularly great DAC. Again, it's fine, but there are less expensive units that I feel are much better for much less money. I have no reason to feel that any same priced DAC is better or worse than the Yggy where most immediately consider the best DAC on earth.

It sounds like you have your heart set on a Yggy: go for it. It's a fine DAC.
Yggy is not and has never been my target. I think it is better suited for speaker set up too where its strength can be better appreciated. I would rather get Gumby/Soekris 1541/Amethyst/Spring 1 for less money. But then again, I'm glad that my ears are not that picky. I'm happy with my Mimby and have no plan to upgrade for now.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #24 of 25
You have a 40 watt tube amp. The specs page reccomend more power. Though they note that some good results can be had with lower power tube amp.

As with most well designed tube amplifiers, the RMS rating is conservative. Tube amps generally will go another 3dB (a doubling of power) higher before clipping.

The Luxman drives my Raidhos without issue. The digital front end is the weak point in my system, hence, my creating this thread on high performance, high value DACs.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #25 of 25
Hugo 2 for headphones that you can drive capably via its headphone output. For speakers and headphones that will require a separate amp for optimal drive, Yggdrasil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back