Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Apr 23, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #214 of 393
7VzSDDA.jpg

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #216 of 393

Where in Canada are you visiting?

I am visiting family in Toronto, hence my intention to also visit Infinite Cables in Markham. (I sometimes get to Ottawa - I have friends there - but not this trip.)

It would be interesting to compare cheap Monoprice cables with really high-end (three to five figures) cables someday, especially with super-gear like the Yggdrasil!

Infinite Cables sell passable ratshack-style molded RCAs for a song ($2 for a pair of six foot cables). They also sell premium cables with good plugs and stranded 22 gauge OFHC with a foam polyethelene insulation around center conductors (blah, blah)... very well made and good quality. A pair of those is less than $30. The XLRs are premium only and a six foot pair is less than $40.

To me that is sweet spot for ICs. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars (!) but you should buy well-made high quality cables for gear like Yggy and my GS-X mk2. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #218 of 393
  I know it is supposed to come into its own after a week, but given yours and Purrin's experiences with Yggy, how long should we let it warm up before doing any listening?

After I get mine, I'm just gonna start listening immediately, and see if I can notice improvements as time passes, leaving it on permanently. (Which is what is "officially" recommended.)

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #219 of 393

Yggy is here. Let the warm up begin

I know it is supposed to come into its own after a week, but given yours and Purrin's experiences with Yggy, how long should we let it warm up before doing any listening?

I put this glorious ******* DAC in my rack at 3pm, headed back to work, came home, took care of dinner, did some chores, and fired it up at 9pm. It sounds great. I'd turn it on and listen.

A week from now I might change my tune because it sounds even better, but I'm ecstatic right now with Yggdrasil > Ragnarok > modded HD800s.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #221 of 393

Faster than expected. Production seems already at the v0.99's warm up point at 40 hours when first turned on and cold.

At least it starts out good. Just a matter of when the real magick kicks in. That is when I'm reminded of vinyl, but better. Will check tomorrow.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #222 of 393
Purrin,

Add me to the list of people you convinced to by a vintage DAC. I picked up a mint Spectral SDR-2000 Pro about three weeks ago. I am rediscovering my CD collection. It really is amazing to listen to music I thought I knew. All the soundstage and details, but non of the shrill sounds I heard from crop of "modern" DACs. I am loving what I am hearing :D , but a little voice is asking what the difference would be with the Yggy? Do you have any thoughts on the sound of the Spectral Vs. the Yggy?

Jim

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #223 of 393
Purrin,

Add me to the list of people you convinced to by a vintage DAC. I picked up a mint Spectral SDR-200 Pro about three weeks ago. I am rediscovering my CD collection. It really is amazing to listen to music I thought I knew. All the soundstage and details, but non of the shrill sounds I heard from crop of "modern" DACs. I am loving what I am hearing
biggrin.gif
, but a little voice is asking what the difference would be with the Yggy? Do you have any thoughts on the sound of the Spectral Vs. the Yggy?

Jim

You mean Spectral SDR-2000* Pro?? Nice find.. If you got it for under $1500-2000 even more ups to you

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #225 of 393
Wahsmoh,

Yeah, "Spectral SDR-2000 Pro", darn my keyboard skills.  Paid a bit over $2K, but I am very pleased with the unit.  Incredible sound, PRAT is sweet.  I just want to listen longer, and that is what I want from my system.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back