yet another which amp for HD650 thread, sorry.
Nov 21, 2010 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jasonb

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys (and gals). i just ordered a Sennheiser HD650 and of course now need an amp/dac. i have a PA2V2 to use in  the meantime with my portable, but i doubt it's going to be enough for the HD650's and i do want a DAC to use with my laptop.

i am completely torn between the Practical Devices XM5 portable amp/dac and the Headroom Desktop amp/dac. one reason i'm stuck between these two is the fact that they both have crossfeed and i need crossfeed. i like it and want it, end of story

i like the idea of a portable amp and i like all of the options that the XM5 has including bass boost, treble boost, 75ohm button, and the adjustable crossfeed. also the XM5 has rollable op amps. i keep reading over and over and over again though that the HD650 needs a full size amp to truly shine. i also read a few reports in the XM5 thread of the XM5 powering the HD650's pretty well.

the HD650's will only be used here at home so a full size makes sense, but i am just drawn in by the idea of having the amp be portable and small, and i like all the bells and whistles that the XM5 has. i'm sure the Headroom desktop is a much more capable amp, but do i need all the power? to much is better than not enough i guess.

also i haven't heard the HD650 yet so i don't know if i'll need the bass boost or treble boost that the XM5 has. if i don't need them, then they will be wasted and negates some of the benefits of the XM5.

i'm thinking the full size is the right way to go, but i'm stuck. sorry if this sounds like a jumbled mess. i'm just torn on which way to go.

EDIT: i also realize there is a huge price difference, i'm not rich, but i already spent big bucks on the headphones, so why not power them the right way.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 8
I had HD650s and was on a bit of a budget, so I bought the Darkvoice 336se amp, a 2007 edition, and was always happy with it, but I hadnt used too many other amps with them. I had the Grado HA1 high gain, and it was surely loud enough, but the darkvoice beat it, helping them push the bass air that they are known for.

Darkvoice 336SE is a good budget choice IMO, and also worked well with HD580s and even DT990s.

There's got to be better choices, but again I was on a budget.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, you need the power.  The very fact that an amp is portable means that some shortcuts have taken place.  That's not to say that any of them are a poor design, but the goal for one amp is portability - the goal for a desktop is something else.  Since portability is almost out of the question with Senn HD650's, do yourself a favor and get something that will make them shine.

You might try reading this Wiki article by Boomana:
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana
(Pay particular attention to her Item #2.)
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 8
thanks. not to be a jerk, but i don't want to hear any other amp/dac options. these are the only two amp/dac's i need to decide between. i'm leaning toward the Headroom Desktop to make sure i have enough power on tap.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 8
thanks. i actually just read that before writing this. i was set on the XM5, but i don't want to limit these headphones. i don't want any weak links and i'm worried that the XM5 would be the weak link.

so, the Headroom Desktop is the better choice, right?
Quote:
Yes, you need the power.  The very fact that an amp is portable means that some shortcuts have taken place.  That's not to say that any of them are a poor design, but the goal for one amp is portability - the goal for a desktop is something else.  Since portability is almost out of the question with Senn HD650's, do yourself a favor and get something that will make them shine.

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
thanks. i actually just read that before writing this. i was set on the XM5, but i don't want to limit these headphones. i don't want any weak links and i'm worried that the XM5 would be the weak link.

so, the Headroom Desktop is the better choice, right?
Quote:

wink.gif

Given your choices, yes, I think so.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 8
maybe this is a dumb question but is the Headroom Desktop amp/dac enough for these? is the Headroom Desktop amp a powerful enough amp to get these way louder than i'd ever need? i want to bring out their full potential.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 8
alrighty, woke up this morning, called Headroom and ended up ordering the Desktop amp/dac. should be here within a week. the guy told me that the micro(stack) or the desktop is the way to go, and that anything lower wouldn't make them shine. very excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back