Yet another W2002 owner
Feb 12, 2002 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Not everybody who tries the W2002 is like me and makes a big stink about it. Some prefer to keep their business to themselves, and thats fine. One such person sent me a pm, and I wanted to welcome #0623 to the list. Hope you enjoy their sound as much as you are their looks!

beauty1.jpg

Feb 12, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 44
Mine are arriving today as well, and I will post the serial number (and a few preliminary comments) when they do.

I thought there were only supposed to be six of these headphones left?

Ross

Feb 12, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 44
They breed in captivity.

Or we have a wonderful example of supply and demand.

Feb 12, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 44
Either an extra box of W2002s was found in the corner, or maybe Mr. Chan is getting them from some of the retailers that don't ship internationally. Either way, I've placed my order for one, just gotta wire the money.

Feb 12, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 44
Hi Ross, I'll be looking for a post from you later then. I hope they get there as planned.

As far as supply:
Many have bought their W2002's through uvak and not through Vincent. Vincent Chan said he was told by headquarters they have none left to ship; in other words, whatever was available was 'out there' already. At this point Vincent already had at least 5 more coming to him. Dont confuse how many units Vincent had available with how many there actually are in the entire world still left unsold. Apparently uvak's friend had no problem finding half a dozen, and now all of those are sold. I'm sure theres quite a few out there waiting to be bought, but the point is: how to find them! (assuming a person wanted one.) Once Vincent sells all he has then thats it for him (I'm assuming he's not going to go shopping for you.) Uvak's friend would be a great connection in that case because he might go to several different stores if he had to.

p.s. Vincent Chan let me know he gave someone at audio-technica/Japan the address to my little website. And I'm sure some of the Chinese and Japanese people who check out Head-Fi have seen what we have done with the W2002/W100 as well. I wonder how a mechanical translation of English into Japanese (of my website) is serving them. Maybe now its not just english speakers who are confounded by babelfish!
Hey Joe Bloggs, maybe you should give me a greeting in Chinese to post on my website. How would you say 'W2002: kicking ass and taking names' in Chinese? How would that come out in a mechanical translation!

Feb 13, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 44
Well, the W2002 headphones have just arrived - serial no. 0793 - and straight out of the box they sound awful: thin, shrill, aggressive and edgy. I think I'd better give them 50 hours of break in before having another listen.

They look pretty, though.

Ross

Feb 13, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Ross
Well, the W2002 headphones have just arrived - serial no. 0793 - and straight out of the box they sound awful: thin, shrill, aggressive and edgy. I think I'd better give them 50 hours of break in before having another listen.

They look pretty, though.

Ross

Kick ass, Ross. Thanks for your post. I do hope you warm up to them but the fact is that we were long overdue for SOMEONE to dislike them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 44
In addition to the criticisms above, I would also add: muddy. That wooden earpiece is clearly audible as a dark, muddy colouration. It is similar to, but not quite as bad as, the hollow, boxy wooden colouration of the RS1s that many people mistake for "warmth" or "musicality".

Although I have only had these headphones for a few hours, and although they are far from run-in, I already have a feeling that these are destined for the "for sale" section.

Ross

PS M Rael, did you mention that you had litigation insurance? (Only kidding!
evil_smiley.gif
)

Feb 13, 2002 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 44
.... and in what is probably a new record on Head.Fi, the W2002 headphones are delivered, listened to, advertised and sold within the space of a few hours.

Ross

Feb 13, 2002 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 44
I remember Ross from an earlier thread about the Sony MDR-F1. He's extreme in his dislikes. So he bought the W2002 and then sold them overnight; in my opinion this says more about his personality than it does about the headphones. Now he gets to have the pleasure of being the resident expert on how crappy they really are, for all time to come. A poster child for the feeling "I HATE IT!! MAKE IT GO AWAY!!."
..and probably a hero to many, who always hated how expensive certain headphones are. You crack me up Ross.

Feb 13, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 44
You get a life, RickG.
A guy buys a $700+ headphone and then sells it after a few hours because it sounds so terrible? I stand by what I said; I think its funny. Is the view nice from the cheap seats Rick?

Feb 13, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
You get a life, RickG.
A guy buys a $700+ headphone and then sells it after a few hours because it sounds so terrible? I stand by what I said; I think its funny. Is the view nice from the cheap seats Rick?

No cheap seats here, Mark...check the profile, jerk!

Feb 13, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 44
chill out guys...

M_Rael: I agree with you man. One should give a headphone more than a few hours (especially when it's not broken in). But RickG did did use a happy face when he made that "get a life" comment...

RickG: OmegaII, huh? Guess that's front row center. BTW I recognize your avatar but I don't know from where. (this thing have been bugging me every time I read a post from you)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back