Yet Another Upgrade Soundcard Thread
Feb 6, 2007 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
I have read many other threads, many like the AV-710, EMU 1212, EMU 0404, and X-Fi Music.

I do game often, but I also want true 5.1 or 7.1 optical out.

I currently have Sony MDR-7506 (DT250 pads on order), and KSC75's Kramer/quarter/re-wired mod'ed.

I currently am using my little Yahama TSS-1B to power my speakers and headphones. I also have a Pioneer VSX D812 K (I think or maybe VSX 816 K) receiver/amp not in use ATM (in storage, no room for it at current place)

I plan on getting PX100's or PMX100's, and hopefully someday a nice headphone amp and one of these, but not sure yet on what one:

AKG K24P
beyerdynamic DT880
Etymotic ER-4B
Sennheiser HD250 II
Sennheiser Oprheus
Shure E4C

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

AKG K24P
beyerdynamic DT880
Etymotic ER-4B
Sennheiser HD250 II
Sennheiser Oprheus
Shure E4C

o.O It's not only a jumble of models, but a jumble of price ranges too o.O

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o.O It's not only a jumble of models, but a jumble of price ranges too o.O

Yeah I know, I based it on Frequency Response graphs on www.headphone.com, which ones had the flattest spectrum.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=0&graphID[]=567&graphID[]=585&graphID[]=459&graphID[]=453
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=0&graphID[]=459&graphID[]=453&graphID[]=435&graphID[]=609

Computer Setup:
GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev 1.xx
AMD XP 3200+
2x 512mb Geil DDR400, Dual Channel
SB Live! 5.1 (SB0100), 4 channel analog output
2x rat shack gold plated 3' mini-to-mini plugs
Yahama TSS-1B

I just tried my 7506's directly to the SB Live! 5.1 .. it made a very noticeable difference. Thru the TSS-1B the sound was bright and not much bass. Directly from my SB Live! its much better, the highs were not too bright, and there much better bass coming out.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 31
Well, since you got Sennheiser Orpheus in your list, I say go for LynxTWO or something of that caliber. Also get an X-fi Elite pro for gaming.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 31
not much posters here that can put an orpheus on their "plan to buy" list...

whew!

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 31
If you game, you'll pretty much want a X-Fi.

For music playback, it's really up to you. You're not limited to sound cards, since the X-Fi can output bit-perfect audio to a DAC of your choice.

You may want to consider buying a surround receiver (or pulling out the Pioneer) to act as your DAC. Very few high quality sound cards have analog outputs for surround. I think I remember reading that even the best X-Fi used inferior DACs for all channels except the front two.

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For music playback, it's really up to you. You're not limited to sound cards, since the X-Fi can output bit-perfect audio to a DAC of your choice.

Really? I thought only the AV710 could only do that, not thru its own DAC, but just bypass the signal to an external DAC.

Quote:

You may want to consider buying a surround receiver (or pulling out the Pioneer) to act as your DAC.

I am going to get me Pioneer out, mebby this weekend. I got used to my little Yamaha, and after trying other receivers and directly hooking my phones to a sound card, the Yamaha is not a good amp for cans, but its ok for its own lil 5.1 speakers.

Quote:

Very few high quality sound cards have analog outputs for surround. I think I remember reading that even the best X-Fi used inferior DACs for all channels except the front two.

I thought X-Fi's ONLY did surround thru analog, but I think that is only for EAX/game stuff, and will only do DDL/DTS thru the TOSLINK.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 31
The AV-710's claim to fame is that it can output a bit-perfect signal for under $30, but it's certainly not the only card capable of doing so.

I don't personally own a X-Fi, so I can't comment about whether or not bit-perfect output is limited to two-channel audio or if it also outputs surround. I'm guessing the X-Fi can perform bit-perfect output of whatever you play, including surround.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 31
The X-Fi can output surround sound through the digital outputs ONLY if it's playing a DVD or something that already has a DD or DTS audio track. Alternatively I have used ac3filter to encode on-the-fly to AC3 (dolby digital) to get surround sound through the spdif output. It's pretty easy to get the x-fi to do bit-perfect with stereo but it takes a little work to get it to output DTS or ac3.

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 31
Can I have 2 cards at the same time? one for music, movies, etc .. and an x-fi for games?

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I have 2 cards at the same time? one for music, movies, etc .. and an x-fi for games?

Yup. I use an Audigy 2 for games, and an M-Audio Delta 410 for Foobar.

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not much posters here that can put an orpheus on their "plan to buy" list...

whew!

Holly cr@p, I didnt know the Sennheiser Orpheus was like $16k !! I picked those cans purely on frequency response. Well maybe, someday, if I win a Lottery I'll get Sennheiser Orpheus
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holly cr@p, I didnt know the Sennheiser Orpheus was like $16k !! I picked those cans purely on frequency response. Well maybe, someday, if I win a Lottery I'll get Sennheiser Orpheus
tongue.gif

ROFL

I think you should first decide what kind of headphones you want. Open / Closed
circumaural / supraaural for all I know noise cancelling.

After you decided that you've narrowed the selection down quite a bit. Than I think something like a pricerange would be nice. So you will not have to sell your house, your car and your wife ( if you've got one) just to buy some headphones.

If you did both of these things you can start asking people for advice again about what might suit you according to them.

I think this is the right way to do it.
biggrin.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 31
Also, bear in mind that although a driver may measure perfectly flat with a microphone, the graph might not take into account the human ear's frequency response (unless HeadRoom measures that way). In any case, graphs aren't necessarily representative of what a given pair of headphones will sound like, especially in comparison with other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back