1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

yet another Sennheiser HD6xx thread

1. jdub1977
    Hey all,

After doing a bit of research it seems that it would be best for me to get an amp/dac for my incoming HD6xx's. I've searched the forums and many of the threads I found are for people needing portable solutions.

For my part, I do not need a portable solution. These headphones will always be used at my desktop computer in my home office. I play video games, listen to music, watch movies and anime, all the things!

With a budget of around $300-ish dollars what DAC/AMP would you recommend? I may be able to go higher but the financial struggle would be real for a little while if I did so I'd prefer to stay under that if at all possible.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

2. Brooko Contributor
    I have the HD600s and also HD800S

If budget tight, I'd recommend looking at:

Audio GD's NFB11 - http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
    (I have the 12 and it is still going strong after quiet a few years)
    Good for a preamp if you want to add speakers as well.

or iFi's iDSD - which is what I use currently

Both are possibly a bit more than you wanted to pay - but both very much worth it.

jdub1977 likes this.
  3. jdub1977
    Thanks for the advice Brooko! I really appreciate the advice! Do you like the iFi iDSD more than the Audio GD? Or is it just used for a different purpose?

4. cossix
    Just get the Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 and call it a day ☺ 100 bucks each and that stack can go toe to toe with more expensive gear with no problem. They also look amazing, and you won't find a better value for 200 dollars

jdub1977 likes this.
  5. serman005
    If you can swing it, I would buy the Modi Multibit and Magni 2. A bit over budget but not by a lot and well worth it. The mulitibit is super nice sounding and a big step up from the Modi 2. That is what I would do, anyway.

jdub1977 likes this.
  6. Brooko Contributor
    For me - in both versatility and size, the iDSD. I must review mine at some stage, but since I got it I've never seen the point in investing any further

jdub1977 likes this.
  7. jdub1977
    Cossix you're the second person I talked to that advised getting the Modi and Magni combo. Seems like it's a pretty popular choice! :)

And I appreciate the advice as well serman005!

All of you have given me much food for thought and, I'd say, some really fantastic recommendations.

Thank you all!

8. Music Alchemist
    I agree with this. As far as DAC performance goes, I thought the iFi micro iDSD was hardly better than the Modi 2 / Fulla 2, while the Modi Multibit is considerably better. (If the OP is willing to buy used, the combo could be under $300 too.)

9. buke9
    I don't think there is a better amp for the 6xx's or 650's than a Bottlehead Crack. I have the 6xx's and couple of other very good amps and would pick the Crack every time for them.

10. thi181
    I use my mojo and that sounds really good