yet another Sennheiser HD6xx thread
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jdub1977

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

After doing a bit of research it seems that it would be best for me to get an amp/dac for my incoming HD6xx's. I've searched the forums and many of the threads I found are for people needing portable solutions.

For my part, I do not need a portable solution. These headphones will always be used at my desktop computer in my home office. I play video games, listen to music, watch movies and anime, all the things!

With a budget of around $300-ish dollars what DAC/AMP would you recommend? I may be able to go higher but the financial struggle would be real for a little while if I did so I'd prefer to stay under that if at all possible.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the HD600s and also HD800S

If budget tight, I'd recommend looking at:

Audio GD's NFB11 - http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
(I have the 12 and it is still going strong after quiet a few years)
Good for a preamp if you want to add speakers as well.

or iFi's iDSD - which is what I use currently

Both are possibly a bit more than you wanted to pay - but both very much worth it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 10
Just get the Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 and call it a day ☺ 100 bucks each and that stack can go toe to toe with more expensive gear with no problem. They also look amazing, and you won't find a better value for 200 dollars

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 10
If you can swing it, I would buy the Modi Multibit and Magni 2. A bit over budget but not by a lot and well worth it. The mulitibit is super nice sounding and a big step up from the Modi 2. That is what I would do, anyway.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the advice Brooko! I really appreciate the advice! Do you like the iFi iDSD more than the Audio GD? Or is it just used for a different purpose?

For me - in both versatility and size, the iDSD. I must review mine at some stage, but since I got it I've never seen the point in investing any further

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Cossix you're the second person I talked to that advised getting the Modi and Magni combo. Seems like it's a pretty popular choice! :)

And I appreciate the advice as well serman005!

All of you have given me much food for thought and, I'd say, some really fantastic recommendations.

Thank you all!

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 10
If you can swing it, I would buy the Modi Multibit and Magni 2. A bit over budget but not by a lot and well worth it. The mulitibit is super nice sounding and a big step up from the Modi 2. That is what I would do, anyway.

I agree with this. As far as DAC performance goes, I thought the iFi micro iDSD was hardly better than the Modi 2 / Fulla 2, while the Modi Multibit is considerably better. (If the OP is willing to buy used, the combo could be under $300 too.)

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 10
I don't think there is a better amp for the 6xx's or 650's than a Bottlehead Crack. I have the 6xx's and couple of other very good amps and would pick the Crack every time for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back