Yet another Senn HD555 upgrade topic. (To Senn HD650) What should I expect?
Jun 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dacavalcante

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm planning to upgrade from my senn hd555 to 650.
What should I expect going from one to another ?

I don't know if it is only my listening skills... but I really can't make a picture of the sound stage with 555...... is this normal ?
I just realize some stereo saparation and different instruments positions... but really not a stage at all....

what do you guys think ? What should I expect ?

Depending on the answers I can rush my upgrade.
wink.gif

How much more happy will it makes me ? lol
biggrin.gif

My current setup:
ESI Julia (Coax. Out) -> Zero DAC -> Zero DAC Amp -> Senn HD555

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 12
I upgraded from HD555 to HD650 three weeks ago.

Out of the box, the HD650 sounded much worse than the HD555.

After a few hours (maybe 50 and out of an old panasonic receiver), they were much better in all senses.

I am using the HD650 underamp, with the headstage lyrix USB DAC /AMP, and they sound lovely. You will have to get used to the sound because they sound totally different than your HD555. The vocals sound as if they were coming from somebody in another room, this is referenced by many as the sennheiser veil. I can hear it. It's there and you will notice it. Some claim it goes away with proper amplification, which may require above $2K worth equipment.

The details and instrument separation are going to be massive in comparison. The way every instrument sounds, specially the high end, are going to make you wonder how you could ever love the hd555 so much.

The cymbals are really going to be amazing. The HD650 is going to sound a lot fuller too, making the HD555 sound incredibly thin when you put them back.

128kbps and bad recordings are going to sound much worse in the HD650 than in the HD555, but when you find a good recording (maybe Hotel california in Hell Freezes over-Jeez that intro sounds out of this world!-, or any song on that CD!!) the HD650 are going to be just addictive!

If you like jazz then you'll be in heaven as I am now listening to Michel Camilo's Dotcom-bustion
biggrin.gif
. Sometime i would love to be rich to buy one of those expensive amps just to see if they really get that much better. Some day...

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upgraded from HD555 to HD650 three weeks ago.

Out of the box, the HD650 sounded much worse than the HD555.

After a few hours (maybe 50 and out of an old panasonic receiver), they were much better in all senses.

I am using the HD650 underamp, with the headstage lyrix USB DAC /AMP, and they sound lovely. You will have to get used to the sound because they sound totally different than your HD555. The vocals sound as if they were coming from somebody in another room, this is referenced by many as the sennheiser veil. I can hear it. It's there and you will notice it. Some claim it goes away with proper amplification, which may require above $2K worth equipment.

The details and instrument separation are going to be massive in comparison. The way every instrument sounds, specially the high end, are going to make you wonder how you could ever love the hd555 so much.

The cymbals are really going to be amazing. The HD650 is going to sound a lot fuller too, making the HD555 sound incredibly thin when you put them back.

128kbps and bad recordings are going to sound much worse in the HD650 than in the HD555, but when you find a good recording (maybe Hotel california in Hell Freezes over-Jeez that intro sounds out of this world!-, or any song on that CD!!) the HD650 are going to be just addictive!

If you like jazz then you'll be in heaven as I am now listening to Michel Camilo's Dotcom-bustion
biggrin.gif
. Sometime i would love to be rich to buy one of those expensive amps just to see if they really get that much better. Some day...

Wow!! That way you make me want to get one 650 today.... =]
Well..... people talk about great sinergy between 650 and Zero.... also a MkIII will be on the ways after 650.

I do have a lot of uncompressed Hi-Fi recording, they sound so superior than regular recordings.

I really like jazz... so I guess I can't go wrong with this choice... =]

Thank you alitomr!

PS: Well I don't see myself stoping loving HD555... it's my first love lol.... it will for sure always have a place in my heart, despite of my possible new love....
biggrin.gif

I just have to find a head-fi'er willing to sell a used 650 to Brazil by august....
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 12
If you are expecting a solid soundstage like is possible with quality, well set up speakers in a well proportioned room, then forget it with headphones. Compared to a quality well set up speaker system, headphones only suggest a stage...some are wider, some more forward, but they don't go holographic like a good speaker setup. However, headphones offer a clarity of detail and timbre that can only be found in VERY expensive speakers. Oh, and don't forget the level and tightness of bass from headphones that can only be had in speakers costing many thousands of dollars.
I'm just trying to adjust your expectations, because it sounds like you are expecting more soundstage than headphones can supply...enjoy the headphones for their strengths.

Scott

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are expecting a solid soundstage like is possible with quality, well set up speakers in a well proportioned room, then forget it with headphones. Compared to a quality well set up speaker system, headphones only suggest a stage...some are wider, some more forward, but they don't go holographic like a good speaker setup. However, headphones offer a clarity of detail and timbre that can only be found in VERY expensive speakers. Oh, and don't forget the level and tightness of bass from headphones that can only be had in speakers costing many thousands of dollars.
I'm just trying to adjust your expectations, because it sounds like you are expecting more soundstage than headphones can supply...enjoy the headphones for their strengths.

Scott

great advice.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
going by others on Head-fi, the 650 is in between the 595 and the 555 in quality. Better off if you want Sennheiser to get the 595 and then a clip-on mic really.

i'm not sure what you mean by quality. if you mean sound quality then that's not true, the hd650s are technically the best dynamic headphones sennheiser has ever created (some would argue the hd600s, but that's more of a matter of tonal balance preference than technical superiority)

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm not sure what you mean by quality. if you mean sound quality then that's not true, the hd650s are technically the best dynamic headphones sennheiser has ever created (some would argue the hd600s, but that's more of a matter of tonal balance preference than technical superiority)

Arguable between them and the HD600s, but yes, both are miles above the HD595.

Edit: Totally didn't see you mention that in your post...

Either way, Sennheiser's naming system is a bit wonky, so these confusions happen with those not familiar with the "real" line up. For example, the HD580 is often considered to be better than both the HD590s and HD595s.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Scott

Yeah... actually this is or was what I'm expecting....
Some year ago I listened to a Mid to Hi-Fi system (speakers), on a friend's house......
And the soundstage was just incredible... I really could imagine the picture of the stage, depth, wide.... I was amazed by that.....
But the system was about $20,000.00 Dollars.
Then I thought, maybe with a little money, I could get that same sensation over headphones....

Some say it's possible to achive that with headphone..... maybe with senn morpheus ?
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arguable between them and the HD600s, but yes, both are miles above the HD595.

Edit: Totally didn't see you mention that in your post...

Either way, Sennheiser's naming system is a bit wonky, so these confusions happen with those not familiar with the "real" line up. For example, the HD580 is often considered to be better than both the HD590s and HD595s.

Miles ? like a thousand miles or a hundred ? =]

Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange to hear that 555 or 595 were better than 650.... it wouldn't make any sense, since 650 is more than the double of the price of the 595 which is more than 50% of the price of the 555.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I'm planning to upgrade from my senn hd555 to 650.
What should I expect going from one to another ?

... what do you guys think ? What should I expect ? ...

You might expect to like the 650 pretty well until you hear the 600.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might expect to like the 650 pretty well until you hear the 600.

Why ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back