Yet another R10 eBay Scam.
Aug 12, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #16 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Just for the hell of it, why doesn't someone e-mail them asking for pictures of their pair of R10's?

Yah, I just sent him a message asking if I could see a REAL picture of the heaphones. Interested to see what he says, and if he is going to post the response in the auction...

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
You can't assume it's a scam for sure because he's using another photo/text from a different ad. There are tons of Ebay ads where people show general photos that aren't the specific item in question, and use text from other ads.

May be a scam, but it's presumptuous to act like it's a slam dunk that it is.

This is essentially what I said in my post.

There were a lot of people on this thread who didn't seem to understand what, if anything, made Ed think it might be a scam. So I thought I would explain that.

What would make me extra careful as a potential buyer is the amount of money involved. And to be quite honest, if I were to be selling my R10's this is not the way I'd go about it. I'd think that it would be rather natural for an R10 owner to anticipate that potential buyers would want to see photos of the actual headphones they are buying. The dollar amount involved is not small, and these are very rare items. If anything, I'd go out of my way to demonstrate that I actually owned the item in question.

I don't think anyone is condemning the guy and saying that it is definitely a scam. But to sit back and pretend that the possibility doesn't exist is also kind of silly, given the pics. I mean, he could have easily stated "These pics are not the actual pics of my pair of R10's" and by not so stating he's clearly representing them as though they are pics of HIS pair of R10's. That's what the detailed images are designed for on eBay. Sure, if it's a $20 pair of headphones, that's a different story. All I'm saying is to proceed with caution.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 104
Here is the real pics of the R10 in that ad. But it mine now, and I never put it for sale. Wish your guys could get some real pics of this seller's R10.
kicx14586by.jpg

kicx14498ml.jpg

kicx14487bu.jpg

kicx14633ie.jpg

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 104
I'm also wondering about this guy's feedback as well... although he's only been rated 50 times, and who knows, he may have just sold some stuff here and there to get a high feedback to start scamming people.

Definitely agree that someone who was going to sell the R10's should expect potential buyers to ask for real pictures. I'm wondering if he'll look for more pictures online somewhere to send to potential buyers who do look for more pictures...

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
You can't assume it's a scam for sure because he's using another photo/text from a different ad. There are tons of Ebay ads where people show general photos that aren't the specific item in question, and use text from other ads.

May be a scam, but it's presumptuous to act like it's a slam dunk that it is.

Why not? He's showing a picture of a pair of headphones that has a scratch that his pair doesn't. Fake.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 104
It does seem a bit fishy. Look at the bid history. Four bids, reserve met, current bid of $2,000?

Also, the 50 positive feedbacks that the person has are all from purchases that the person made. There are no feedbacks from buyers, so he's never sold anything before.

Fishy.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 104
And I think he fixed the scratch position by Photoshop in the closer look this time. These two pics has been copied over four times in last two months. Do you really think there are so many R10s for sale and none of the seller has a real pic?

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 104
Well, we're just going to have to wait and see if the seller will actually come thru with pics of the actual R10's he's selling before we can claim it's an actual scam. Until those pics of his actual R10's show, I'd pass just to be safe.

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #24 of 104
Someone with some time on their hands should ask him to take another pic of the phones with a piece of paper with his zip code on it (or something else identifieable by the requester). And include it in the photo of the phones to be sent to you.

that will tell you if he owns a pair, even if it is not the exact pair he is selling.

Or you will hear a big excuse about how he has no digital camera and his buddy took these shots.

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by PodMan
possibly his account user name and password has been hacked. He has been a member since 1999 but his last feedback was in 2002.

I've received really authentic looking ebay emails saying there has been suspicious activity in my user account the past week and asking me to go to this website and "verify" my account info before it gets suspended. Good thing my spam filter put that email in its rightful place or I might have been less suspicious about it.

Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me too. They send out these fake things for ebay, bank accounts, credit cards, anything worth stealing and tons of people fall for them.

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #27 of 104
I dunno. I'd be less concerned about the "borrowed" pic than about the method of payment. I mean, I've "borrowed" a pic or 2 before when I was selling the exact same item and I didn't have time to take a picture. I never said the picture was the actual item, one then assumes it is a representation of the item for sale. Let's not confuse laziness with criminal intent. Now, that wire transfer only stipulation is what worries me. I wouldn't do it, and eBay doesn't recommend it either. Especially for that kind of money.

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
Now, that wire transfer only stipulation is what worries me. I wouldn't do it, and eBay doesn't recommend it either. Especially for that kind of money.

I don't agree. Don't confuse a bank wire transfer with a Western Union transfer, which is the least secure payment method of all. A bank wire transfers funds between two established accounts. Any account opened at a US financial depositary institution requires positive ID. Maybe its less secure than I think it is, but a bank wire is much more secure than a money order, which is not tracaeble and can be cashed by any bum off the street.

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #29 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I don't think anyone is condemning the guy and saying that it is definitely a scam.

Title of thread: "Yet another R10 eBay Scam...".

I agree with what you said in most of the rest of your post, and I also agree that this is an EXTREMELY suspicious listing. But to slander someone in advance of knowing for sure is a step too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back