Yet another MPX3 owner.
Sep 23, 2003 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Carlos3

100+ Head-Fier
My MPX3 arrived today! Straight out of the box and with no burn-in it is already a step up from my last amp. My only upgrades are a Neutrik jack and Cardas RCAs, so sonically it is a "stock" MPX3.

While I only listened a little before letting the burn-in process begin, there is something in the sound that I've never heard before. First is something like a "spaciousness" that is unrelated to the CD3000's soundstage, as well as something I could only describe as a "shimmer" in the sound (liquidity?). There is also a new "weight" or "substantiality" to the sound which I assume is the "palpability" that I've seen SET users describe.

This is my first tube amp so I think I lack the vocabulary to properly describe it all.

One thing that surprised me is that the MPX3 has been redesigned a bit. The case of the amp is now about 12" long, and the power supply which used to be in-between the blue capacitors has now been moved back some inches to the rear of the now extended chassis. All in all, it now looks very much like a smaller Supra. According to Mikhail, there has also been some addition to the internal reinforcement of the case.

Sep 23, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 63
Yet another one.... The body counts just keep on piling up eh? For every one of these thread pops up I will be here drooling, waiting for mine to arrive... Until I start one of my own "I finally got my MPX3" thread. Congrats my man.

Sep 23, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 63
Thanks guys.
3000smile.gif

For now I'm just using the standard Electro-Harmonix 6SN7EHs. I've never listened to tubed audio at all before this, and I suspect jumping straight into the nuances of rolling NOS tubes would be trying to run before I've learned to walk. I did, however, pick up a back-issue of "Vacuum Tube Valley" issue #11, which covers the history, development, and listening notes on most of the major 6SN7 tubes.

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 63
Congrats on your new amp carlos - hope you enjoy every bit of it .
i too am wanting a MPX3 but i am in a process of moving from arkansas to florida so no buying spree for a while .

i need to be satisfied with my current set-up for now.

Habib - cant wait for you to tell us your impressions on your new MPX3 .

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 63
Carlos: There is a Singlepower amp tuberolling thread started by Hirsch, you might find what you are looking for in there. Also it would be great if you can post your findings from your magazine in that thread so we can keep everything convinient for all Singlepower amp owners!

screwdriver: you and me both man... I can't wait to tell you how my amp is "going" to sound like
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 63
Is there any info on the MPX3 in the internet? Or if it is available online??
I have done a google but was referred back here
confused.gif

Thanks

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Mat Bon 0013
I have done a google but was referred back here
confused.gif

Thanks

Do a search for MPX3 in this forum and in the Member's Lounge. You'll find plenty of threads.

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 63
Your's and mine were sent out on the same day and we received them on the same day. I sprung for the Supra with the same tubes, and jacks. My box was so big and better-than-professionally packed, that I thought I was going to have to take the hinges off the door to get the box in the house. We are lucky to have an amp maker that cares so much about quality and doing the right thing for his customers. We really got our money's worth. I've had mine on and playing through my headphones from 9 a.m. til midnight.
Now there's the patience waiting game to upgrade the power cord, tubes, and interconnects. I am trying to be a mature adult, but it is difficult. (Kid's tuition...retirement...food and toilet paper)!

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 63
I totally agree about the care that went into the packaging. I expected a big box, but not one that big. It looked ready to take a direct hit from a laser-guided bomb.

I'm on hour 12 of the break-in and I'm finding that not only does this amp make my good recordings sound incredible, it also takes the harsh, sibilant, glaring recordings and makes them sound good!

Going to need a new CDP or DAC to step up to this though.

Sep 23, 2003 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Going to need a new CDP or DAC to step up to this though.

I ordered a Cary 306/200, which came highly recommended...but I know a person who is selling a 6 month old 303/200 for $1100 shipped which is an unbelievable deal. PM me if your interested and I'll send you the link.

Going to listen to my amp all this rainy day 'til I have to go to work 2nite. Yippee, Yappee...and Yahooey.

Sep 23, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Mat Bon 0013

There is no webpage for the Singlepower amps yet.

Sep 23, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 63
Carlos3,

Congrats on your amp. As Habib mention, there is great info already available in the Singlepower Amps tuberolling thread. Enjoy. BTW, these amps sound good with any 6SN7 tubes! But it may not hurt to start saving for some NOS vt-231s.

Mat Bon 0013, the SinglePower amps are designed and produced by Mikhail Rotenberg. He is a member here. The best way to get in touch with him is via email/PM here . He is a great person to deal with. Actually, in speaking with him, you really get the feeling that he enjoys making amps very much. I think that perhaps this passion gets transduced in the way his amps sound. I am sure he will answer your questions.

immtbiker, that is indeed a good price for that Cary.

Cheers

Sep 23, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
One thing that surprised me is that the MPX3 has been redesigned a bit. The case of the amp is now about 12" long, and the power supply which used to be in-between the blue capacitors has now been moved back some inches to the rear of the now extended chassis.

My 220v version is the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back