yet another: IEMs/earbuds $100 budget concerned with gym use and office practicality
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #16 of 53
Ya I type too much, I'm a detail orientated person, engineer, it's my job to be. I wish everyone would read it, I know you spend countless hours on here anyway ( I'm a forum junky like all of you), and it contains valuable info for making reccomendations.

Anyway I'm not seeing built quality concerns on the re0 in my reasearch besides maybe a subpar cord microphonics wise. Certainly beefier then my s4 consideration.

Numlock, I couldn't agree more, I'm the same way with putting stuff in my body, but please try super pump 250, my doctor ok'd it's ingredients, works amazingly, much diff then NoX, despite both being no products.

Thanks to all for your continued support in my search.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 53
I can definitely relate to finding IEMs for the gym. The majority of time I spend listening to IEMs is at the gym. For this reason I won't buy a cheap pair as I want good sound quality and prefer the isolation. I'm also an engineer and have spent countless hours researching on this site.

Previously I had a set of V-Moda Vibes. I used them for a couple years with no issues except the bass is way too heavy. I don't think anyone would recommend these anyways.

I bought a set of Triple.Fi 10s during the $99 sale and planned on using these as my new gym set. While the sound quality is amazing they don't fit securely in my ear and stick out really far. The headphones came out frequently enough that they wouldn't work. Right now they are getting re-shelled at Fisher Hearing and this may be my gym set. My only concern is microphonics when running although I spend most my time lifting weights and it may be a non-issue.

After I showed my friend this site he decided on the RE0s for general use. He has been kind enough to loan them to me on several occasions. In my opinion they sound very good but the Triple.Fi's sound better (detailed hi's, and stronger bass). The fit with the RE0s was fantastic though. They are small and sit deep in my ear. This weekend I took them to the gym and they worked well enough I considered buying some. Microphonics were low and they never fell out. Build quality wasn't great but I think they would be durable enough for the gym. If my customs don't work for the gym I will probably be buying these.

Also, I've listened to the ER-6i and did not like them. The bass was anemic and they sounded too harsh. They are very detailed so I think people's opinion of them vary with taste. Hope that helps!

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 53
I've got a pair of Altec Lansing UHP336 (rebranded SF3s) and they're fantastic for the gym. The wrap-around wire keeps them in place, and they do a good job blocking out the enervating light rock that gyms tend to play. Sound quality is good, and at the price ($39) is fantastic.

Now if you actually want to be able to hear around you (like for running outside), my favorite workout headphones are the Sony MDR-W24Vs. They're hardly audiophile material, but at $13, and sound decent for working out (if light on the bass).

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdaigle240 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they seem very similar in signature to the RE0's but really it seems their different leagues.

semisight, i appreciate your participation in this thread, overall its been a warm welcome in comparison to other national/international forums i frequent (nissan 240sx).

i actually have been reading up on the MEElectronics M9, is that the same as the "ai me9"? they seem like a pretty good cheap gym set (also looking at pl-30 in that price range, but really just getting into he cheap market research)

if HEAD DIRECT has a 30 day return policy i think i may do what any responsible adult would do and buy two differing sets; RE0 and S4, and find out what i like, as i really don't know. my suspicions are the less wowing but more accurate RE0's as i really do listen to tons of genres. Also considering that every review ive read was when they were $200 they just seem like such a steal at $80.

can you say WHY you wouldn't use them at the gym, is this a RE0 specific thing or just a wallet conscience decision? im seeing many claims of years of use with similarly priced IEMs at teh gym. im kind of against dealing with sub par sound as a whole at this point, gym office or home. i almost feel like the gym is where i really need it, music helps me push my self A LOT!

Wallet conscious - I don't have a lot of money, so I really value my RE0s. Also, I have no backup headphones right now, so if they broke I'd have to go without headphones until I got the money for more.

They just don't seem like gym headphones to me; the cable is fairly durable but thin. Otherwise they're pretty solid. If the cable was thicker I wouldn't be as hesitant.

Yes, the ai me9 is the one I was talking about. It's supposed to be really durable which is why I can recommend it. Remember you won't be getting top quality sound in the gym anyway.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 53
Yes very helpful responces. I've been tempting myself with getting my feet wet with M9's or PL-30's BUT I don't want to become content with these and miss the true SQ experience to be had with RE0's and the like. That's a decision I have to make, so I'm pretty much rambeling.

Eldarko, thanks for confirming my thought on the TF10 and gym use, not that they are $99 anymore though..... Good thing or else it would make my decision ever more difficult.

These return policies are really intriguing, I'm considering buying 2 or 3 legitimate IEMs trialing them and keeping my favorite. There's nothing wrong with that, ethically speeking, right?

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #21 of 53
Sweet with your help i think im ready to make an educated decision, BUY EM ALL!!!
atsmile.gif

PL-30s
Because their cheap enough to try for gym use, If the M9 had better microphonics that would win. PL-30s lack of isolation is a plus for talking to gym partner when paused/vol lowered.

AND

RE0 & S4
I'll let them go head to head, and return which every less fits my style. (I’ll give the S4s the recommended 100+ hr simmer)

why? The more i read about the RE0 & S4 cord, the more nervous I become. Pretty ridiculous paying good money and having to worry about poor engineering of one of the more simplistic components.

is there a less expensive RE0 foamy solution then making hybrids?

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #22 of 53
Yes, just get complys and use them directly. Or use decored olives without recoring them. I personally think the mid size single flange that comes with them has the best sound quality; it has better bass than the sony hybrid tips, but still retains the great highs that you get when using silicone tips vs foamies. I do use decored olives on road trips though.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #23 of 53
thank you sir!! can you or anyone comment on my thoughts of trying and returning if i don't like??? S4's from Bestbuy, i have no worries, the pl-30s i'll keep at that price, but can i really just return the RE0's if my ears prefer the S4's??????? is this looked down upon, i don't want to be scummy or anything. its just in my research ive seen many "i had _______ IEM's for X time, didn't like them and returned them" of course im going to ask HD for the details on their 30 day return policy but just want to make sure this isnt a dirty move first.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #24 of 53
You should email the companies. I doubt either of them will force you to keep the headphones, but there may be restocking fees. Or you could just sell them here on these forums, both the RE0 and S4 are popular headphones that would be bought fairly quickly.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #25 of 53
If I had to bet on it, I'd say you will probably love the RE0 and S4 because they are apples and oranges. I think you'll keep them both for this reason. If you did decide to return the re0's, I'm pretty sure fang at head direct would be cool with it. Make sure you listen to the re0's a lot before you give an opinion on them. They truly grow on you.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kretzschmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you listen to the re0's a lot before you give an opinion on them. They truly grow on you.

+1. They'll disappoint you a bit straight out of the box, expect it. Listen to them exclusively for a little while and you'll see what they're about.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #27 of 53
im a BIG hobbiest, i can see this getting expensive. oh well. i throw thousands at my car, whats a few hundred at something that will get countless hours of enjoyment. what was that disclaimer? "sorry about your wallet" lol

sounds like you guys/gals wouldn't mind a few more questions
L3000.gif

-E3, what can i expect, just amplification or does it have a slight "signature" of its own? (search function does not work with 2 letter searches)

-The extension cable, would a short radio shack one be a sin or should i be looking somewhere specifically?

-a CASE, cant complain with the price of the RE0, but are there any options so i can keep these safe, maybe a dual IEM case? i can think of plenty of things to put them in, just nothing that will hold them securely.

-and just for fun PL-30 or forever hold your peace.

Thanks!!!

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

im a BIG hobbiest, i can see this getting expensive. oh well. i throw thousands at my car, whats a few hundred at something that will get countless hours of enjoyment. what was that disclaimer? "sorry about your wallet" lol

sounds like you guys/gals wouldn't mind a few more questions
L3000.gif

-E3, what can i expect, just amplification or does it have a slight "signature" of its own? (search function does not work with 2 letter searches)

-The extension cable, would a short radio shack one be a sin or should i be looking somewhere specifically?

-a CASE, cant complain with the price of the RE0, but are there any options so i can keep these safe, maybe a dual IEM case? i can think of plenty of things to put them in, just nothing that will hold them securely.

-and just for fun PL-30 or forever hold your peace.

Thanks!!!

The Fiio E3? Don't bother, get an LOD and Fiio E5, it has volume control; or if you have an iPod, get an E1. The E1 makes the sound noticeably warmer. The mids become much more full.

The RE0 cable is plenty long, and if you're getting an amp you'll have even more cable to deal with.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

RE0 & S4
I'll let them go head to head, and return which every less fits my style. (I’ll give the S4s the recommended 100+ hr simmer)

I want to hear your opinion on these two.
dt880smile.png

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #30 of 53
I was all over the E1, till I saw the 800mm cable, all set. I'd like a small amp with very short cable, a foot tops. Size is a BIG factor here, so no E5, I'll never use it. All ears to other size conscience options 25$ tops.

Oh I will do a full review on the 3, so others with "juvenile" ears can hear a fairly comparable analysis. It's tough making heads and tails when reading audio junkies critical and experienced reviews.

Still open to case options and pl30 substituitions from any and all.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back