yet another: IEMs/earbuds $100 budget concerned with gym use and office practicality
Feb 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #31 of 53
The e5 is small and has a very short cable, I use it to power my re0's and it sounds wonderful. Not many other options under 25 bucks. You said your an engineer, you could probably build a cmoy for under 25 bucks, I do not know if they sound good though, only what others have said.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #32 of 53
i was looking all over for cases, sometimes your just searching for a word or phase to get you there, "clam shell" lol who'd a thought!

between my cars and motorcycles ive got no time for projects, E1 or E5 it is! thanks to both of you for the heads up on all 3 FiiO products.

beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 53
Rookie review comming up!!!!

PL-30 and E5 in the mail (MP4Nation up to 5 days to process and 14 to ship, REALLY??? REALLY? would of gone elsewhere)
RE0 In the mail
S4s getting picked uo from best buy when RE0 gets here

im pumped.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #34 of 53
I got my RE0 and my first session was a bit disappointing. Coming from the NE7M I was not impressed as I thought I was going to be. I did notice an increase in detail though. Being twice as much and reading all the reviews, maybe I am expecting too much. I am going to do some burn in on the RE0 and hopefully they impress me more and more. I'd say my NE7M's have hundred of hours on them so I will keep that in mind. I will do a weeks worth of burn in then test them against the NE7m again.

Also my Sansa clip needs an amp with the RE0. I am around 90% on the volume. Going to look for a good pocket amp.

I can't wait to hear your review on the S4.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #36 of 53
Here is what I have tried and my feelings about each, I was pretty much in the same situation < $100, Iphone, and music similar to BFMV. This is my summary of what I thought about each for gym use and I used comply tips on all.

ADDIEM: Pros: Very good balanced sound, little Microphonics, Bass 6 out 10
Cons: Can't get sweat on the mic or it is toast, the headphones will work but
and functions are gone
Summary: Works well in office environments / works well in the gym if you do not sweat a lot.

UE Super fi 4: Pros: Good mids and pretty well balanced sound, almost no Microphonics
Cons: needs amp to bring out balanced sounds Bass 5 out of 10
Summary: Works well in both environments but needs amping to bring out full potential.

RE0 2nd generation rubber cord: Pros: Great natural balanced sound, solid build
Cons: Heavy Microphonics while jogging/running, needs amping, bass response Bass
4 out of 10
Summary Works great in office environment, is ok at the gym due to microphonics and lack of bass, needs amp to bring out bass.

V-moda vibes: Pros: Heavy bass
Cons: Bass is overpowering and distorted at times and overall sound is
not very clear, Heavy microphonics, build quality, bass 7 out 10
Summary: Ok headphone if your a basshead, but poor build quality leads me to not recommend them.

Klipsch S4: Pros: excellent clear bass, lightweight, decent balanced sound, comfort,
minimal microphonics, bass 8 out of 10
Cons: none at the moment
Summary: Great headphone for both office/gym has nice clear overall sound un-amped
virtually no cord noise.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #37 of 53
oh great im gonna end up keeping the RE0's and S4's. lol. really in the scheme of my other hobbies this is seriously cheap.

thanks for the valued input spider, i apretiate the same senario input. i think im going to try to just use the PL-30s at the gym, but the temptation will be there. lucky for me, or actually unluckily, ive blown out both my knees more then once, so eliptical only, sounds like all three options would potentially work well for the gym in this case.

depending on maximos and panasonics return policy (yet to look up) i may just return the S4s and buy em again down the road as its that easy, i kinda want to try these 790s and HJE900s. i dont mind "tieing up" the money in the venture, but i think ill keep it around the current $200 total investment (ha it already doubled). with tires costing me upward of $700 a set that last half a season, i can only justify so much knowing where my heart is.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #38 of 53
i imagine this is going to sound silly but is there a specific order i should be trying each IEM post burn in? my virgin ears could be easily mislead. If i listen to S4 first, the RE0 will sound extra lacking down low. if i listen to RE0 the S4 will sound over powering. maybe PL30, then RE0 then S4, maybe i should just A/B/C songs?. I'm sure someone is laughing at this post, haha.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #39 of 53
What do you use now? I would compare your old familiar iem's to the RE0 and S4.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 53
I would recommend the HiFiMan RE0s for office practicality. I personally love these IEMs and can't recommend them highly enough. For the gym, I'm not so sure because microphonics can be an issue with the RE0s but with the use of a shirt clip and wearing them over-the-ear should be able to reduce the noise considerably.

EDIT: I will say that the RE0s will likely need a portable amp to shine in a gym environment.

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #41 of 53
I should have about 100 hours of burn in on the RE0 by tomorrow. I will review them during my gym work out tomorrow.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #43 of 53
The RE0s have landed..They have been in my ears for 3-4 hours. Quick out the wrapper thoughts

Tips:Fitment:sound
The, as arrived Med. Bi-flanges seem to be the only things working for me. I'm hearing that deeper is better (lol) but I'm still getting used to to this, but I think ive got “the fit”. OTE but the reliefs kinda stick out when i get the right canal angle, no prob.

Players:sound:bit rates
woof, takes about 70-90% of the volume on the 3GS to really “get goin' ”
Samsung NC10 (netbook) sounds better at lower volumes
Pandora sounds great, im happy.
Some mp3 128kbps files sound ok, others not so hot,. even a 192 or so sounded less then great. So, seems very recording dependent.
E5s in the mail

Low
Happy with the quality:quantity ratio, some rap pounds pretty good, cant say I would want much more quantity, other wise it would seem tiring for 5-8hr days. making me wonder if the S4s are really the right apples for these oranges...

Mid
...no complaints at all, but I do notice that my ear seems to like a touch more mids (kinda lower mids), aren't the S4 mids close to if not more recessed then the RE0s? Just messing with the cheezy EQ in mediaplayer. maybe the E5 will help here?

Hi
good times, this was were I had to acclimate a bit, crispy, but by no means tough on my ears.

Having a great time listening to my tunes, so im pleased.
I'm just questioning if the S4s are really what I want to be trying, or if I should be trying anything else all together. So im pleased but may be open to suggestions for something with a touch more engaging mids, maybe a bit more pepper on those guitars and vocals, even a wide soundstage. yet im not willing to sacrifice clarity and separation, still around $80, I feel like im asking a lot. I'll probably “test” the S4s none the less.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #44 of 53
Used the RE0 at the gym today. 2 hours, running and lifting weights. Microphonics are not bad at all. Highs are very clear but I am missing the lows from my NE7M. My Sansa Clip+ is around 90% volume and I am wondering if I am hearing distortion due to that or if it's my mp3 files. I am going to replace them with flac and see if it goes away. If not them I am getting something like an iBasso T3/T4. I still feel like going back to my NE7M. It also might be the plugs. I used the black silicone plugs on the RE0 and foam plugs on the NE7M. I will try something different one day at a time so I don't throw to many variables at a time. I really want these to work out for me.

sdaigle240: Have you considered the Fisher Eterna? They are around $70. If the RE0 don't work out for me I might try the Eterna or the S4. Or I might just say eff it and step up to the $150 and up range. Haha, this place is evil!

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #45 of 53
NumLock, if you try foams on the re0 let me know how it sounds, I'm considering trying this. Do you use the eq on your clip? I find that I do not with my re0's and it helps them with no eq, but its the other way around for me when I use the clip with my ne-7m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back