Yet another Gardo Question
Feb 7, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 325is' aren't particularly sibilant or metallic sounding at all. However, the highs are a touch hot though which goes very well with a lot of recordings. That added clarity is great. However, for some recordings, especially in the rock genre, things are harsh. The only thing to worry about with the aluminium is the weight. It is the heaviest among the smaller form factor Grado's and I think, even the GS1000's.

It takes a beating well. I fell off my skateboard and broke several fingers but my 325 handled the fall with grace.

You are right about the match between the headphones and the genre of music. With mellow genres (classical, acoustic, jazz) you get more payoff for the HF spikes of the Grados. For genres that are already sibilant to begin with, bassheads and assorted rockers sometimes prefer headphones with muted highs. It's a safer play when your music is flooded with cymbal crashes and wall-to-wall distortion. Some prefer the GS1k for these, because of its thumpy bass and distance. I prefer to be on stage with the band. Give it to me straight between the eyes.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 22
I agree with Redo. Get Bowls, you won't regret it. I had the 80i's with the comfies also, everything was average sounding. Until a fellow Head-fier gave me his extra bowls, and now I understand the way the Grados are supposed to sound.
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It takes a beating well. I fell off my skateboard and broke several fingers but my 325 handled the fall with grace.

You are right about the match between the headphones and the genre of music. With mellow genres (classical, acoustic, jazz) you get more payoff for the HF spikes of the Grados. For genres that are already sibilant to begin with, bassheads and assorted rockers sometimes prefer headphones with muted highs. It's a safer play when your music is flooded with cymbal crashes and wall-to-wall distortion. Some prefer the GS1k for these, because of its thumpy bass and distance. I prefer to be on stage with the band. Give it to me straight between the eyes.

It said correctly by you,I will agree,I listen to my 325is across all genres, that are not a bit sibilant to me , make sure you have a decent amp with ample current and you will be
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR80i? They come with comfies now right?

Order a pair of bowls if you haven't heard them with bowls yet. It'll be well worth it.

The dog chewed the comfies about about 3 days after I bought the SR80's. I have had bowls on ever since.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It said correctly by you,I will agree,I listen to my 325is across all genres, that are not a bit sibilant to me , make sure you have a decent amp with ample current and you will be
beerchug.gif

Well I listen to a wide variety of music, most of it is rock, but not necessarily the mainstream variety. I listen to a lot of bands like Kyuss, Atomic Bitchwax, Clutch, Nebula, Black Pyramid, Colour Haze and Funkadelic. Most tend to have a mellower, more fuzzy, darker sound instead of the buzz saw scooped distortion that is more prevalent in metal. There is a local Grado dealer that I can go and try out all the headphones, but their prices are ridiculous. I guess I could go try them there and then buy them online for a lot cheaper...or see if they will match the lower prices.

As for amps I have an iBasso P3+ on the way as well as a Little Dot MKIII.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboysam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I listen to a wide variety of music, most of it is rock, but not necessarily the mainstream variety. I listen to a lot of bands like Kyuss, Atomic Bitchwax, Clutch, Nebula, Black Pyramid, Colour Haze and Funkadelic. Most tend to have a mellower, more fuzzy, darker sound instead of the buzz saw scooped distortion that is more prevalent in metal. There is a local Grado dealer that I can go and try out all the headphones, but their prices are ridiculous. I guess I could go try them there and then buy them online for a lot cheaper...or see if they will match the lower prices.

As for amps I have an iBasso P3+ on the way as well as a Little Dot MKIII.

It will be ideal if you could audition the headphones, who cares whether you buy from them or not.
Get a nice CD you know and test the lot.
The amps you have mentioned are perfect for the Grado's, you should be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #22 of 22
Its odd in that I have never found Grados sibilant, but the Senns I've owned (HD650 & HD595) were. You may want to consider the MS-1s, they are very smooth. Don't let the price mislead you, they are high end headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back