Yet another Gardo Question
Feb 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bassboysam

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a pai of SR80i's that I really enjoy, but I am looking to upgrade to either the SR225i or SR325i. Many people seem to think that the 325i is a little to bright sounding, but at the same time many people say that Grados in general have a bright sound. I have not had a lot of experience with headphones but I have never noticed the SR80i ever being too bright for me so my question is how much brighter is the SR325i, is it something that the average listner would notice right away or is this something that only audiophiles notice?

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 22
I'm no audiophile but I've spent a few hours listening to 325i's and I wouldn't say its the brightness that puts me off but the sibilance. Everything is great until the s's and t's come on then my ears hurt. However this was only with certain recordings, there were others that sounded just fine. Other than that they're really amazing for rock, and seem great for the few classical tracks I tested them out on. This was with an ipod -> graham slee novo -> sr325i's. If you tried a different amp or dac it'll probably make a difference. Also I have no idea how many hours the 325i's I heard had been used for, some people say burn in takes the edge off.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 22
It depends on the music you're listening to. The brightness is noticeably higher with some music, to the point of being strident. OTOH, the SR325is sound splendid with other types of music. I personally find the highs to be uncomfortable with the rock genre. Rock music with a lot of rhythm guitar thrashing .... be careful with getting the SR325is if this is your favourite genre.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 22
I felt the 650's could sound quite muffled at times compared to the 325i's. They're definitely warmer but the 325i's just sounded clearer to me.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 22
The phrase I like to use is that 'the HD650's can do detail as well'. But for me, the 'rock' music I played through the 325's were so unbearably overpowered by the guitars, that I found myself reaching for the HD's. My friend tried to explain that the 325's are an 'instrumental' ... headphones, but none of the instruments in rock were allowed to come through; such is the brutality of the emphasis on the guitars in particular. Vocals are so far down the 325's list of priorities, it would seem.

O.K. they did well with classical, and if there was a genre for the 325's it would be classical, but as far as rock, pop or anything else goes, I have to say I’m still on the 'disappointed' side of the Grado fence.

I love my iGrado's, my SR60's and the Alessandro MS-1's, but the 325's i'm still having problems with. As for the HD650's it's a matter of having it when you want it. The HD650 can do detail, but when you want a fuller spectrum, they can do that as well. Whereas with the Grado's, when you want somehting a bit fuller, you'll come up wanting. Detail, sure, but i still find the SR325's (325i in my case) one dimentional.

The 650's are a 'Jack' of all trades, but the 325's are 'Master' of one. Problem is i don't listen to just one genre of music!

The other consideration is that the HD's need a good amp. The 325's could get along fine with a CMoy or Fiio E5 (i've lost mine) or something like that. plugged straight into my iMac, bar a lack of real volume the 325's perform well. The HD650 won't let you get away with such a thrifty approach.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 22
The RS2i's sound very similar to the 325is. It's just less bright on the highs. The RS2i's are great looking with the wooden finish and VERY light, hence comfortable. I'd consider them seriously if you love the SR80's for rock and wish to upgrade your sound. Additionally, don't underestimate the role of a decent DAC in this sound upgrading process.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whew, I thought you were gonna ask about the spelling

Who?

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 22
The 325 does have a higher output, relative to other Prestige Grados, at 2 kHz and 4.5 kHz, but is out-sassed by other Grados at different frequencies. Is it unusually sibilant? I don't see it on the graphs and I certainly didn't hear it when I had mine. What distinguished it, before the release of the PS-1000, was its aluminum housing - unusual for current-production Grados for quite a while. I think this aluminum thing, which had not been found among all those wooden top-shelf Grados, left the impression that its presentation was "steely." While I found the shells quite cool, I never felt that the 325 was all that sibilant, especially compared to the GS1k. I think people were simply psyched out by metal.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 22
The 325is' aren't particularly sibilant or metallic sounding at all. However, the highs are a touch hot though which goes very well with a lot of recordings. That added clarity is great. However, for some recordings, especially in the rock genre, things are harsh. The only thing to worry about with the aluminium is the weight. It is the heaviest among the smaller form factor Grado's and I think, even the GS1000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back