Yet Another "Gaming" Headphones Thread
Jun 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by noremac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that is what I was thinking... since the game puts through your headphones where the sound is coming from, it will be the same no matter what headphones you use.

This is incorrect, the ability to correctly perceive 3d positional cues varies greatly between different headphones.

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 54
The mmx-300 would fit allthat criteria. Good posistioning, low noise leakage, 32 ohm so they dont need a amp, and sound as good as the dt770 for music and movies. There under 300 dollers now.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mmx-300 would fit allthat criteria. Good posistioning, low noise leakage, 32 ohm so they dont need a amp, and sound as good as the dt770 for music and movies. There under 300 dollers now.

Those look sick but that is way out of my price range.
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #20 of 54
Your choices are limited for under $200.

Creative X-Fi Gamer $76 + A700 $119 = $195

The Auzentech Prelude is better but a lot more.

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude $175 + A700 $119 = $294

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your choices are limited for under $200.

Creative X-Fi Gamer $76 + A700 $119 = $195

The Auzentech Prelude is better but a lot more.

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude $175 + A700 $119 = $294

Hmm well I have a few questions about your post there.

First off it is probably important mentioning that I use Windows Vista, and from what I have heard some new audio feature in Vista is supposed to render EAC useless. So I was looking at the ASUS DX/D1 cards which are $56 after a $25 MIR. But I have heard that they are not so good in gaming as the Creative cards, but I don't want to buy something with technology that is no longer going to be used.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Hmm well I have a few questions about your post there.

First off it is probably important mentioning that I use Windows Vista, and from what I have heard some new audio feature in Vista is supposed to render EAC useless. So I was looking at the ASUS DX/D1 cards which are $56 after a $25 MIR. But I have heard that they are not so good in gaming as the Creative cards, but I don't want to buy something with technology that is no longer going to be used.

Vista uses OpenAL, which is a Creative product.. if you have older EAX games then you can use the Alchemy software. Asus cards do not have full support for either OpenAL or EAX.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #23 of 54
I'm not sure about gaming with other cards. I've been using the creative line for years although I've been using external DACs most recently. It's true that Vista doesn't use EAX and I haven't missed it.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista uses OpenAL, which is a Creative product.. if you have older EAX games then you can use the Alchemy software. Asus cards do not have full support for either OpenAL or EAX.

So what does that mean in terms of what I can use sound card wise? Just Creative cards?

I mainly play older FPS games like CS 1.6 and CS:Source. I may play newer games such as Modern Warfare 2 as well.

So what sound card would work with old and new games as well as good in music and movies?

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Yeah that is what I was thinking... since the game puts through your headphones where the sound is coming from, it will be the same no matter what headphones you use.

You have much to learn, my young Padawan.

If you audition phones like the DT800, AD700, DT770, you will hear differences.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have much to learn, my young Padawan.

If you audition phones like the DT800, AD700, DT770, you will hear differences.

None of those are in my price range, except maybe that AD700 but that is open and I still am trying to stay away from open if possible.

This was my fear posting on a forum full of people that blow their weekly paychecks on audio equipment, getting recommendations for stuff I can't afford. I mean yeah I love good sound but I don't even have air conditioning in my house right now so some things just take priority over getting $500 or more worth of sound equipment.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

None of those are in my price range, except maybe that AD700 but that is open and I still am trying to stay away from open if possible.

This was my fear posting on a forum full of people that blow their weekly paychecks on audio equipment, getting recommendations for stuff I can't afford. I mean yeah I love good sound but I don't even have air conditioning in my house right now so some things just take priority over getting $500 or more worth of sound equipment.

I was just at a place today that sold the DT770 for $200 and that's somewhere that I'd say is pretty overpriced, they frequently are cheaper here in the FS section and probably anywhere else. They're definitely in your price range. As are the AD700.

I saw the DT800 for $190 sold in the FS section on Head-fi also. I'd say it's definitely around your range.

They aren't recommending things super far away from your price range like you say, and if they were the only reason would be they want to see you get the best you can.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

So what does that mean in terms of what I can use sound card wise? Just Creative cards?

I mainly play older FPS games like CS 1.6 and CS:Source. I may play newer games such as Modern Warfare 2 as well.

So what sound card would work with old and new games as well as good in music and movies?

Any sound card that supports OpenAL will work. OpenAL supports EAX so if I were you I wouldn't even worry about it. EAX is dead.

Since EAX is unimportant I'm not sure if creative even holds an advantage in the gaming market anymore. The X-Fi does have some nifty gaming features like magnifying distant sounds but that's not necessarily better than a card with a better sound stage presentation.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #30 of 54
IMO I found the DT770 to merely average with CS:Source. I thought the A700 was better. I never tried the DT770 in any other games. However for music I much prefer the DT770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back