Yet Another "Gaming" Headphones Thread
Jun 17, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO I found the DT770 to merely average with CS:Source. I thought the A700 was better. I never tried the DT770 in any other games. However for music I much prefer the DT770.

I am kind of a bass head which I heard that the 770's are good in that area, but I think that heavy bass will drown out other important sounds in gaming.

I used to have a pair of SteelSeries 5H v2's which had pretty good bass in music but the bass went away in gaming, leaving it just how I liked it... and the positional audio on them was superior to anything I have used in the past. I would have bought another pair but they only lasted like 2 years so I want to find something that will go a little longer than that.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #32 of 54
Oh I just thought of something... I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6's which I have seen sometimes recommended for gaming, but I found them to be too bassy and have not very good positional audio. So I guess any other can similar to those I would probably not like as well.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is incorrect, the ability to correctly perceive 3d positional cues varies greatly between different headphones.

I'm interested in hearing why you believe that. It seems that there is only anecdotal evidence supporting this claim.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Any sound card that supports OpenAL will work. OpenAL supports EAX so if I were you I wouldn't even worry about it. EAX is dead.

Since EAX is unimportant I'm not sure if creative even holds an advantage in the gaming market anymore. The X-Fi does have some nifty gaming features like magnifying distant sounds but that's not necessarily better than a card with a better sound stage presentation.

Oops I missed this post earlier. Um so since EAX can work with OpenAL, then pretty much any card would work right? I just read on another forum there is a tool you have to download to convert it, but a question I had about that was if there was any loss in quality, which nobody could seem to answer... so does anyone here know about that?

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by noremac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops I missed this post earlier. Um so since EAX can work with OpenAL, then pretty much any card would work right? I just read on another forum there is a tool you have to download to convert it, but a question I had about that was if there was any loss in quality, which nobody could seem to answer... so does anyone here know about that?

It's Creative ALchemy and I've never tried it. ALchemy is custom made for each game that uses EAX so I guess it could be great for one game, bad for another, and non-existent for some. I'm not sure since I have read about it since it's initial creation.

Quote:

I'm interested in hearing why you believe that. It seems that there is only anecdotal evidence supporting this claim.

Yes, the ability to correctly perceive 3d positional cues varies greatly between different headphones. At least that has been my experience trying several different headphones. The best I've ever used in the AKG K701 and the worst was the Alessandro MS1.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

It's Creative ALchemy and I've never tried it. ALchemy is custom made for each game that uses EAX so I guess it could be great for one game, bad for another, and non-existent for some. I'm not sure since I have read about it since it's initial creation.

Yes, the ability to correctly perceive 3d positional cues varies greatly between different headphones. At least that has been my experience trying several different headphones. The best I've ever used in the AKG K701 and the worst was the Alessandro MS1.

Although I don't doubt you, your opinion merely serves as more anecdotal evidence. Is there any scientific evidence supporting the claim that certain headphones have a superior ability when it comes to directional sound? Maybe a new thread for the sound science forum...

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by d1ce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I don't doubt you, your opinion merely serves as more anecdotal evidence. Is there any scientific evidence supporting the claim that certain headphones have a superior ability when it comes to directional sound? Maybe a new thread for the sound science forum...

Why do they make headphones with angled drivers? Why do they make open headphones? Are you honestly looking for an argument suggesting the pinna has no effect on sound?

Ooo.. this will blow your mind. We only have two ears yet we can tell when a sound originates from either below or above or even behind us?!?!
ph34r.gif

coredump.. Creative makes and supports EAX (WinXP & older) and OpenAL (Vista & newer), Asus does not fully support either, only some basic functions. I would love an alternative but there's not much on the market now unfortunately.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Why do they make headphones with angled drivers? Why do they make open headphones? Are you honestly looking for an argument suggesting the pinna has no effect on sound?

Ooo.. this will blow your mind. We only have two ears yet we can tell when a sound originates from either below or above or even behind us?!?!
ph34r.gif

coredump.. Creative makes and supports EAX (WinXP & older) and OpenAL (Vista & newer), Asus does not fully support either, only some basic functions. I would love an alternative but there's not much on the market now unfortunately.

No, no not at all. I just like knowing why these things work (angled drivers, open headphones, ect).

Just because they say angled drivers make a difference doesn't mean anything to me (they could make any claim). I want to see this claim supported with actual fact and studies. The information i'm seeking is better suited in the sound science forum. I'll be making a post over there.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by noremac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I just thought of something... I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6's which I have seen sometimes recommended for gaming, but I found them to be too bassy and have not very good positional audio. So I guess any other can similar to those I would probably not like as well.

I just bought the Sony MDR F1s from SolidSnake and they are VERY good for positional audio and gaming in general. Ive tried many cans for gaming and you DONT want too much bass or it just overshadows any detail. The F1s have amazing detail and clarity for FPS's.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

So should I stay away from the ASUS cards for now then? I guess that would only leave me with Creative.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Sleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the Sony MDR F1s from SolidSnake and they are VERY good for positional audio and gaming in general. Ive tried many cans for gaming and you DONT want too much bass or it just overshadows any detail. The F1s have amazing detail and clarity for FPS's.

I was the original owner.. They were my FPS go to cans.. To get a better sense of horizontal space would cost you much more..

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #44 of 54
Jun 18, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #45 of 54
Just get this for $44.99 shipped. Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic refurbished. One of the cheapest X-fi's that's good for music listening as well as it had a decent DAC chip on board. My vote for a headphone is for the A700 for $114 shipped from Amazon. You'll have a good setup for $160.

I've owned the Sony F1s, AD900, A900LTD, and two versions of the DT770. The DT770/80 Pro was def. the most bass heavy, but is pretty good for gaming. The F1s had a terrific soundstage but since they sit basically away from your ears there's hardly any bass. I also found them to be so-so, Sony-like for music. The ADs were a bit better, but still no visceral impact on the bass--the sense of immersion is better for some games and MMOs though. The closed A900LTD were a bit more balanced, with the soundstage being decent for a closed can while not as bass-heavy as the 770 Pros. You can sometimes find the 770/80s refurbished from beyer-usa for $99 on eBay--however they definitely benefit from amping and straight out of the sound card probably won't cut it.

For FPS type games you really want a nice U/V shaped sound signature in the HP, i.e. accentuated treble and bass. Treble, to hear footsteps etc. or other cues and bass, well, for impact and satisfaction
tongue.gif

-my $0.02

Edit: Nevermind, read that you saw the big thread on the JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back