yet another fake IE8?? HELP
Oct 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

imola

New Head-Fier
Does it look fake to you trained eyes?

it doesn't have the red chip/wire and the logo looks a bit off.

But.....

This is from an authorized dealer!

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 14
 Ya they look fake to me.
1) the angled line around S is definitely thicker than my ie8 as far as I can tell from the picture
2) the little dent indicating the max bass response is longer than on mine
3) the actual knob looks weird (again this could be due to pictures)

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 14
These are my IE8s, I assume that they are real.
They do look slightly different to your ones. 
confused_face.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 14
imola, first things first, welcome to Head-fi.
beerchug.gif

imola wrote:

here are some additional shots..

thoughts?

From my perspective, the logo is "sloppy," and the bass indentations are too pronounced.  Not to mention the very, very necessary red chip is missing.

I'm looking at a set of knockoffs as I write and next to them I have a legitimate set of IE8's in which to make comparison notes.  The notes are starting at the tail plug end and working up to the earpieces.

Plug sheathing of the real IE8 has a more clear and refined appearance in it's opaqueness and easily passes light.  In the knockoff, there's very little opaqueness in the plug end as it's very cloudy, almost solid in appearance and does not like to let a whole lot of light pass through the plug's jacket material.

In the plug end of the real IE8, the red wire is pronounced.  If the plug is pointing towards the floor and you're looking at the square back of the plug, look on the left side of the plug housing.  When I flashlight the left side of the housing, two points, the real IE8 is more clear than opaque, allowing you to see the wiring and second, there's two pronounced wires to be seen and one of the wires is a pronounced red.  On the knockoff, you can barely see, if at all, either red or white wire.

When I run my fingers along the main cable, the real cable is smooth and soft where the knockoff cable is "slightly" stiff and grainy to my finger's senses.

At the "Y" junction, flashlight the back of the "Y" junction.  In doing so, you highlight the splice board.  In the case of the real IE8, the "green" splice board is "clearly" visible, is square shaped and you can easily see the four solder points.  This is not the case of the splice board in the knockoff.  The splice board in the knockoff is barely visible, is rectangular in shape and you can barely, if at all, see the solder points.

When you turn the "Y" junction box on edge and shine light through it from the back, if looking at the real IE8, you can "easily" see the edge of the solder board and the opaqueness of the rubber, has a certain clarity to it where as in the case of the knockoff, you can only see some green coloration coming through and the opaqueness has a smokey or cloudy quality to it which obscures the solder board.

The outside surface of the "Y" connector, in the case of the real IE8, has a smooth, refined finished appearance where as the knockoff has a smooth but pitted, grainy or slightly reflective appearance to it.

The "Y" junction box has many, very minor differences, too tedious for this guy to list.  To me, the most telling points of the "Y" junction is the clarity of the material and whether you can "easily" and "clearly" see the connection solder board or not.  You can easily see the "four" solder points on the real IE8, you can't easily see the solder points or the rectangular solder board of the knockoff.

Next up the line is the slide between the "Y" junction box and the earpiece connectors.

In the case of the slide, flash-lighting from the back to the logo front of the slide, the coloration of the real IE8's matches that of the wires and is a clear/gray opaque but the slide of the knockoff has a clear greenish coloration.  Again, the finish of the real IE8 is refined or smooth, whereas the knockoff is slightly rough and pitted or grainy.

I won't go into the earpieces themselves as a lot has been written on this end of things.  I commented on the lower end as I don't remember much being written on the plug end or the "Y" splitter, or the slide.

I hope the above helps better define the question regarding being able to tell real from knockoff.

L3000.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
here are some additional shots..

thoughts?

I've got to say that my initial thoughts were they looked fake, and now that somebody else has posted pictures of their genuine IE8s I'm 90% certain you've got fakes. That logo looks too thick and it's not sharply defined enough. Lack of the red wire also shouts fake.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 14

Ya this is a real pair. Notice how this has very thin angled lines whereas yours is more thicker.
Also the notches indicating bass is not as long as yours. (ie, look at the max bass notch, yours is more longer than this one's)
Return them. You should also contact sennheiser because authorized retailer should not be selling fakes.
Quote:
These are my IE8s, I assume that they are real.
They do look slightly different to your ones. 
confused_face.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 14
For the heck of it, I did a quick SQ check.  The real IE8's have more time on them than the knockoffs.  This is a non-definitive SQ comparison between knockoffs and the real-deal.  Listening to Johnny Cash sing "Aloha Oe."

The knockoffs were laid back and mono tinny sounding like a 1930's Gramophone recording being played back and definitely not engaging.  The highs were compressed and it lacked the bass component IE8's are known for.  The IE8's were forward, engaging and had well defined bass and treble by comparison.

And no, IE8's are not a replacement for an HD650.  Expensive?  Yes.  If you like sound quality, now that the money is spent, the real IE8's are somewhat burned-in and playing through a FiiO E-7, overall, it's money well spent.  Why?  Because they make me happy and anything that makes me happy is money well spent.

biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 14
Guys, thanks for all of your helps and detail feedbacks, here is a quick update.

I've contacted the seller and of course he denied anything wrong with the set, he just said it's not possible but didn't answer any of my questions regarding the red chip/wire and the logo. He said if I dont like it just return them.

Thats exactly what I did this morning, packed it up and shspipped it back.

Lessons learned, there are way too many fake ie8 out there, as much as I want to give it a try after reading all the reviews, I'm done with it.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 14
Deffinitely doesn't look like the pictured legit ones.  Is this authorized dealer actually listed on the Sennheiser site?  I've always wondered if it's possible that an authorized dealer receives a sealed fake as a customer return and just sticks it back on the shelf.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 14
The packaging with the IE8s is very well designed and quite intricate, I thought that would be more difficult and costly to fake then the earphones themselves. Surely a dealer must be able spot that quite easily.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 14
The packaging I received was surprisingly professional and through in nature.  Not exactly as nice as factory, but to an inexperienced eye, you wouldn't have known as there was nothing in the packing's methodology that would have set off your warning bells.  Somebody put a lot of thought and effort into creating the whole IE8 knockoff experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back