Yet another Denon D7000 initial impressions thread
Feb 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More controlled bass, sweeter highs and less sibilance - that is about the exact checklist I made for improvements the D5000 required to be worth consideration.

Quick question: how is the fit/size of the D7000 relative to its D5000 sibling? I recall the D5000 being a little loose (too large) for my head - I have a narrow dome - so if the headband is a little tighter/smaller that would be ideal.

I say go for it. They're reeeal, real nice.
smile.gif

Regarding fit; the D7000 are a bit heavier than the D5000 and I feel they have a tad more clamping. Since I sold the D5000 I can't make a side by side comparison, but from memory the headband/rest of the mechanism looks exactly the same (maybe somebody can confirm/deny?), so maybe it's just the added weight that makes 'em a bit more snug.

The only negative I've noticed so far is that, due to the extra weight, the headband starts making it's existence known a bit sooner than it's little brother.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the people who say they are not much better or the same as the d2000 are usually the ones that haven't heard them.

Yeah, I've always found it kinda funny when people bash headpones they haven't even heard.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 25
I owned the D5000 for a few weeks before upgraded to D7000. D7000 is indeed better in every aspects as compare to D5000. The improvement is definitely not subtle to me.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 25
I've been digging my D7000's all day and I think I have to add "smooth" to the original description. Smooth as velvet, yet still with plenty of definition. They're by no means smeared.
And they just seem to tackle every genre with such ease. I've tried everything from Philip Glass to Unsane to Nine Inch Nails to Breach and I can't hear 'em straining or losing their grip. They just do it.

As a side note, I hadn't even reflected much over their looks but it hit me today that, damn, these are some fine lookin' headphones. That nice shiny piano gloss really hits the spot.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

I'm not listening! You can't make me upgrade!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

MWOAHAHA. I know I don't have to say this, but I will anyway: Resistance is futile!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 25
Yet another addition to my impressions is that reverb tails are now very easy to spot. Vocal reverbs are usually mixed to just provide the vocal a space to sit in, and aren't really supposed to be heard clearly as an effect (except if that's what you're going for of course).
That's how I and most other engineers use vocal reverb/delays anyway when mixing a "normal" track - if you can't really hear it, but when you mute the send or reverb return the vocal feels "disconnected" from the rest of the music, you're doing it right.

Anyway, just pointing out that it's pretty rare to hear those tails so clearly on some recordings. I like!

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it separate the tails from the original sound making it a noticably separate sound and possibly ruining the effect or does it just accentuate the effect and make it better?

Definetely more of an accentuation. It doesn't ruin the effect or make it sound separated at all, it's highly musical.
Not that I'm a huge fan of reverb or anything, but it's still kinda cool that the D7000 can bring out the tails so easily. Now, I'm sure that if I switch back to the DX1000 I can spot the tails as well, now that I know what to look for, but it was the D7000 that brought them to my attention.

Feb 22, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #25 of 25
I just spent the afternoon auditioning cans - I had originally been set on getting a pair of HD650's and auditioned a Cardas wired pair. First comparison was with the D5000... I immediately lost all my interest in the 650's. Yes, the Sen's are good but on fit alone I don't like the way it feels as if my ears are in a vacuum my head in a clamp - the Denons were buttery soft and oh so comfy - now these are some serious fireplace, pipe & slippers phones, I could wear these for hours. Sound wise I also prefered the D5000's - I listened to Led Zep, Coltrane, Portishead and Beethoven. I really disliked Coltrane on the HD650's - his sax was nasal and bleaty; Zeppelin was good, Beethoven ok. On the D5000's I liked everything more but found the low end of Portishead's 2nd to be a bit OTT...then I tried the D7000's and everything, yes, everything sounded just right - some tracks were fairly close to the D5000's but the overall tonal balance just made total sense to my ears - they also had a nicer fit on my chrome dome. On the D7000's Beethoven was layered in detail and Coltrane reigned 'Supreme' which is the big decider for me as I mainly listen to jazz and classical. I could easily live with the D5000's but I REALLY want the D7000's...and yes, I have already placed a wanted ad.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back