Yet another <$125 advice thread
Oct 15, 2004 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Entropism

100+ Head-Fier
I tried using the search, so bear with me here... I need a set of headphones for my ipod, no amp. As far as music is concerned, I can toss on anything from Social Distortion to Pagiani, so there's a need for a good all around set of cans. I'd prefer them as portable as possible, as I'll be lugging them around campus. Right now I'm using the PX200, and while I don't use headphones much at all, I can tell there's something...lacking about them.

Anyways, I know car stereos, I don't know headphones. I was looking at the E6i's, but I'm hesitant about canal phones. I also looked at the MS-1'ss, ATH-E9d's and the ATH-EC7s. If there's a HUGE difference in sound, I could be convinced to stretch my budget a bit, but like everyone else, I'd like to keep costs down. Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 29
Oct 15, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 29
Hell of a price, and who care's about the misfit cord, right? I'm a bit hesitant about the lack of feedback he's got though, and some of the reviews of the 325's saying they need an amp to work well. Looks like a hell of a deal though.

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 29
So the seller says they came back from the factory like that? I've heard of a twist or two on Grados but thats rediculous. If you're handy with a soldering iron you could rewire them, just be careful as the drivers can easily be burned.

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 29
Nah, I'd rather not mess around with a soldering iron, my skills are a bit rusty, and I like to KNOW what I'm working on before I take it apart. I think I'm leaning towards the E6i's right now, which means I have to wait a few weeks for v2 of them.

As far as canals go, how's the soundstage and actual sound compared to normal headphones?

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 29
After looking at the MS-1s some more, I think the portablility is a main concern. If you folks had to choose between the MD33's, the E6i's, the ATH-E9d's and the ATH-EC7's, what would be the consensus?

Oct 15, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 29
Stupid question, but... If I'm doing some walking around while listening (wandering mostly, 1 hour breaks between each class) will there be any noise transferred through the canal phones? I've been doing a little browsing, and I hear people talking about hearing your own footsteps (occlusion?), and "microphone" effect, but I haven't been able to get a clear answer on if it's present in all models.

As far as choices go, I found a very reputable dealer who's selling the ER-6i's for $119 and free shipping, so I think I'm going to go for those IF I'm not going to get any external noise while listening and walking.

Oct 15, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropism
Stupid question, but... If I'm doing some walking around while listening (wandering mostly, 1 hour breaks between each class) will there be any noise transferred through the canal phones? I've been doing a little browsing, and I hear people talking about hearing your own footsteps (occlusion?), and "microphone" effect, but I haven't been able to get a clear answer on if it's present in all models.

As far as choices go, I found a very reputable dealer who's selling the ER-6i's for $119 and free shipping, so I think I'm going to go for those IF I'm not going to get any external noise while listening and walking.

All deep canalphones have the issue of hearing your steps. Get something like EX51/71 or MD33s for walking.

Oct 15, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

pretty sure someone told me they bought that can through the ad already... the seller hasn't updated the listing yet?

in any case, I'm sure grado can help you out and put a better looking cord on it if it hasn't sold yet.

Oct 16, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
All deep canalphones have the issue of hearing your steps. Get something like EX51/71 or MD33s for walking.

I read about the MD33 or at least about a phone using the same technic that to get the best sound you really need to push them strongly into the ear, so not canaphone but still "really in" ear phone and then good isolation.

Despite that, there is no walking problem? On a review I read for one of these model but not on other using the same technic that there was sound problem because of the cable. I'm not sure that for this model you don't get the walking problem. I think that for this review the tests hadn't been done in real extensive portable usage.

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 29
Well.... I just jumped on a set of HD-25-1s from zzounds.com for $145 shipped. I should have them tuesday, as they're only an hour or so away. I WAS going to go with the MS-1, especially since I could pick them up from Alessandro's, but the fact that I'll have these on in an urban, outdoor setting.... I figure I'll lose too much music to make them shine.

Anyways, I'll report back with a review. =)

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 29
Hows about the Audio Technica CM7? They are in your price range, and since they are earphones, very portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back