Yes/Rush Recommendations Please
Mar 20, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me more ... not a band I've ever heard.

Well, I've picked up their debut S/T, sophomore release "Mirage" and fourth album "Moonmadness". Like any good prog band, they retain a style/sound of their own, but it gets different every time. Here are my thoughts so far:

Self-Titled: Great debut, much more Rock oriented and straight-ahead, but with some early prog elements and wonderful musicianship. Sounds almost like a cross between Santana and early Genesis. Not a highly technical album, but a GREAT rock album and extremely involving. Current release on redbook includes two bonus tracks, one of which is a 20 minute live jam that really showcases their talents. This is a riffy album on all counts but it definitely sounds like they're struggling with identity. Accessible and FUN.

Mirage: Much more developed, slightly jazzy and with the first appearance of the flute (guitarist is also the band flautist). Also, more synths on this one, whereas the previous album was almost exclusively Hammond as far as keys are concerned. Just the same, this is still very much in the vein of their debut - not overly progressive but not straight ahead rock, either. Guitarist seems to have found his identity here, making everything seem a little more fresh for the time.

Moonmadness: A wonderful concept album - this is one of those albums, like Fragile (Yes) or Ummagumma (Pink Floyd), where the basic premise is to have a track for each band member, composed by the indivudual. There are seven tracks total, the other three used to hold the album together. Very spacey, builds heavily on soundscapes (a great headphone album) and overall extremely satisying. This is an album where the impact of the music can be lost if you don't sit down with the intent purpose of listening.

My only gripe is the vocals, which are tacked on (literally, well documented) and performed by the band members. Singing is not a strong suit for any of them, but it's far from bad, just passable.

Excellent stuff, with surprisingly good production values, as well. Even the debut has great stereo and instrument seperation (some of the best recorded Hammond/Leslie I've ever heard). Each member is talented without resorting to "virtuosic wankery" and have a real knack for memorable hooks. Highly recommended - start from the beginning!

Oh, and you should be able to pick up their early stuff fairly cheap.

Oh, and back to the earlier comments on Fragile: I put an order in for the MFSL CD and Hoffman/Gray 180g vinyl of Fragile (along with the MFSL vinyl of Hot Buttered Soul) through Acoustic Sounds. Can't wait!

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #47 of 63
A few comments...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for Yes I recommend 1974's "Relayer" (their BEST in my opinion) and 1973's "Tales From Topographic Oceans" (for the 1st 2 tracks).

Amazing, amazing albums. Of the 4 I now have, these stood out immediately as my favourites and they seem to have the depth to hold my interest, too. Looking into either, it appears both of these albums inspire the most hatred from people. Weird? Must say though, the second two tracks on Topographic are amazing... not sure why only the first two get the recommendation?

As for Jon Anderson's voice... I love it! It should not be compared to Geddy Lee's in the least, IMO. Geddy's voice makes me want to kill kittens... and I listen to The Mars Volta!

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the subject of Genesis, I would say IMO that they are best defined by 'Foxtrot', 'Selling England by the Pound' and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'. I would also add Nursery Crime and the original Live album, although I do also enjoy the 'Seconds Out' live album despite the absence of Peter.

X2 "Nursery Crymes." Brilliant, IMO. Right up there with Tull's "Minstrel in the Gallery."

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few comments...

Amazing, amazing albums. Of the 4 I now have, these stood out immediately as my favourites and they seem to have the depth to hold my interest, too. Looking into either, it appears both of these albums inspire the most hatred from people. Weird? Must say though, the second two tracks on Topographic are amazing... not sure why only the first two get the recommendation?

I like the last 2 tracks on Topographic too, but it seems like they could have chopped both compositions in half and ended up with 2 excellent songs. Instead the final songs just weren't as cohesive and tight as the first 2 tracks. Too many ideas that didn't fit well.

Although the live version of Ritual from Yesshows sounds great - there's an excellent version of Gates Of Delirium on there as well.

Also I just like listening to albums as a whole - and 80 minutes at one time is stretching it a bit too much for any band
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #50 of 63
If you can pony up the cash, the MFSL pressings of Signals, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, and 2112 by Rush are fantastic. The Mercury remasters that are probably still in stores and used bins are OK but mixed a little loud IMO. Also agree on The Fragile by Yes being excellent on DVD-A.. the remasters by George Marino on redbook CD are also pretty nice.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #51 of 63
I always liked Yes way better. Good place to start Fragile for studio. I am really into live stuff so the classic is Yessongs period. There was also a more recent release that i hadn't even been aware of that i picked up when Tower was going out of buisness and everything was like 80% off. It's called The Word is Live, kinda a box set of unreleased classic live stuff that is increable, but early bbc recordings sq on a couple are a bit rough. That would be one for those who have heard basic stuff a million times though.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #52 of 63
Just an update to this thread; I bought 2112 and Moving Pictures. It took a while to take the plunge, but the appearance of "Tom Sawyer" on Rock Band helped swing it, as did the fact that I had been put in the right frame of mind by listening to Coheed and Cambria.

I'm enjoying it so far (even if 2112 itself is a very silly story) and will move to A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres next.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #53 of 63
I recommend Permanent Waves strongly. Get the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs re-issue. GREAT stuff, and you will enjoy the sound a lot too.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #55 of 63
I highly suggest going to a used music store and buying the first CD pressing of Close To The Edge mastered by Barry Diament. It's a pleasure to the ears compared to the ugly Rhino remaster and Joe Gastwirt version.

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #56 of 63
Yes & Rush were really big with my older brother. He kept on listening to them, these songs kept on sinking in my brain. It was not until, probably a few years back, I decided to listen to "Classic Yes" and what a delight!!....I could recommend "Heart of the Sunrise","And You and I", and "Long Distance Runaround". As per Rush.....I also need to go and listen to some of their stuff.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #57 of 63
Man, I love a thread about 2 of my all-time favorite bands. Like some, I probably like Yes a bit better than Rush, but you really can't go wrong with either. Most or all of Yes' and Rush's great studio albums have been mentioned, so I'd like to add a couple of live suggestions. "An Evening of Yes Music Plus" was technically Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, but has glorious live versions of And You And I, Starship Trooper and Close To The Edge. BMG's Encore Collection has a cd called "Yes - Extended Versions" which has a live version of Awaken that is absolutely stunning. For Rush, the Broon's Bane/The Trees/Xanadu medley from "Exit Stage Left" is second to none.

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't a couple guys from Yes play in Asia?

Sort of. For sure, Steve Howe, who was Asia's guitarist, had been the Yes's guitarist. Geoff Downes was the keyboard player in Asia, and he had been the keyboard player for only one Yes album, "Drama", which I personally feel is an overlooked masterpiece that many dismiss because it was the only Yes lineup without Jon Anderson on vocals.

Asia's singer/bassist was John Wetton who had been with King Crimson. For those really into prog, King Crimson is the best 70/80's prog band of all, IMO, but much weirder that Yes or Rush for sure. And Asia's drummer was Carl Palmer of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

For all that talent, too bad Asia wasn't a more interesting band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back