Yes/Rush Recommendations Please
Mar 8, 2008 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Sordel

1000+ Head-Fier
Despite the fact that I'm a massive fan of early Genesis and other early prog bands, I've never made in-roads with Yes or Rush. I haven't really tried with Rush (though I seem to recall hearing and liking Grace Under Pressure). With Yes there's the problem (for me) of Ian Anderson's vocals. So I guess:

1) Which albums should I sample for either or both?

2) What's the remastering like?

3) Which band of the two should I focus some time on?

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 63
Wow, where to start.

1 do not expect clever word play in the lyrics, neither Yes nor Rush have the literary talents and word-smithery of Peter Gabriel.

2 If you like the big opus type prog rock, there is plenty here for you.

I would go with Yes first as they are british and you will pick up some links back to a common route with Genesis.

The Yes back catalogue remsatering has been done with sympathy and constant precision by Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital, the same ,sadly, is not true for the Rush remasters.

Start with 'The Yes Album' , the oldest CD that I am prepared to recommend (I have had them all on cassette, vinyl or CD) and listen to where they were trying to go with the keyboards before Rick Wakeman joined them. Then move on to either or both of 'Close to the Edge' or 'Fragile' both a re superb and them go to 'Relayer'.

After this they kind of took the trip too far and the double album' Tales from Topographic Oceans' is like the curates egg, in that it is good in parts but about 40 minutes too long
wink.gif
. After this band changes and line up squables took the band in more pop orientated directions. My brother loves this chapter in the history of the band with the same energy that I reserve for its revulsion.

There are some side avenues which should be investigated in terms of solo work and projects.

'Heaven and Hell' by Vangelis is another opus prog homage to classical and has the moving voice of Anderson on the track, 'so long ago so clear'

Anderson's own album 'Olias of Sunhillow' is also very good, if now very hard to find.

I can also recommend 'Fish out of Water' by Chris Squire and the first 3 albums by Rick Wakeman, sadly none have been remastered and in dire need of such; 'The 6 wives of Henry VIII', ' Journeyto the Centre of the Earth', and ' Myths and Legends of the Court of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table'

Rush, well the first 3 albums are better on remaster than on the original release; 'Rush', 'Fly by Night' and 'Caress of Steel'. The original eoponymous album which is short for the money (less than 40 mins IIRC) is influneced by Led Zep 1 and also bands like Budgie and Montrose. There is a line up change and from 'Fly by night' we start to feel the longer compositions and epic opuses developing. Rush , being Canadian always have that North American feel about the presentation, kind of Stadium rock meets Americana, but never the less make some tunefull tracks, although lacking in the complexity of either Yes or Genesis.

The 4th album, '2112' has been poorly remastered, I had both versions but kepth the original, which also holds true for the 5th studio album, 'Farewell to Kings'. I am told that the Musical Fidelty pressings on Gold discs are the best, but I have not found them on sale at an affordable price. After farewell to kings the songs start to become more commercial in length and composition which made them more FM friendly, but therefore less prog.

There is much to love with both bands, so enjoy

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 63
Thanks, Aardvarks, for the full reply! I should have mentioned that I have been through my obsessive phase with Journey and King Arthur; Six Wives never grabbed me as much, but I listened to quite a lot of Rick Wakeman ... twenty-odd years ago!
redface.gif

I think that I may check out Fragile and The Yes Album, but leave Rush to another day. Are any of the boxed sets or compilations compelling?

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 63
I would say get the albums from Yes instead of trying to get box sets, they're not a box set type of band. I'd get The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge, three classic and incredible albums.

After that, you get sucked in to the Yes machine and end up buying most of their discs anyway so have fun!!

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 63
Wow... I was going to start a thread like this today! Like the OP, I've gotten into a good deal of early prog, but have managed to avoid Yes. Rush, well, I know enough of Rush to stay away (why couldn't they be an instrumental band?
tongue.gif
).

Another big thanks for the thoughtful replies!

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow... I was going to start a thread like this today! Like the OP, I've gotten into a good deal of early prog, but have managed to avoid Yes. Rush, well, I know enough of Rush to stay away (why couldn't they be an instrumental band?
tongue.gif
).

Another big thanks for the thoughtful replies!

Have you listened to Hemispheres by Rush? It's not instrumental but it's just awesome. I know it's hard to get over Geddy Lee's voice, but once you do, there is some amazing music to be heard!

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite the fact that I'm a massive fan of early Genesis and other early prog bands, I've never made in-roads with Yes or Rush. I haven't really tried with Rush (though I seem to recall hearing and liking Grace Under Pressure). With Yes there's the problem (for me) of Ian Anderson's vocals. So I guess:

1) Which albums should I sample for either or both?

2) What's the remastering like?

3) Which band of the two should I focus some time on?

I was just listening to Yes "close to the edge" on rhapsody and it is not half bad.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite the fact that I'm a massive fan of early Genesis and other early prog bands, I've never made in-roads with Yes or Rush. I haven't really tried with Rush (though I seem to recall hearing and liking Grace Under Pressure). With Yes there's the problem (for me) of Ian Anderson's vocals.

I agree with the recommendations of The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge. I'm also a fan of Going for the One, but you'll find probably find less consensus on that album than on the other three.

By the way, Yes' singer is Jon Anderson. Ian Anderson was from Jethro Tull.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rush peaked at Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Get those.

That's very debateable. I think the whole period from 1976-1982 was the "peak" so to speak (that period inclues 2112, a farewell to kings, hemispheres, permanent waves, moving pictures, signals).

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's very debateable. I think the whole period from 1976-1982 was the "peak" so to speak (that period inclues 2112, a farewell to kings, hemispheres, permanent waves, moving pictures, signals).

For most Rush fans that is their primo era, I agree. For me everything came together/in focus at that time in Waves and Pictures -- at their peak in playing, songwriting, sound. Among other things in the band Lifeson started messing with his great tone after that, and hasn't been the same playing wise. Before Permant Waves the sci-fi dorky element is a turn-off for me.

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 63
My favorite Rush albums in no particular order:

Fly By Night
Roll the Bones
Rush
Hold Your Fire

If you want a good smattering of Rush tunes, get both Retrospective albums. They will most certainly lead you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back