Yes/Rush Recommendations Please
Mar 9, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, Yes's singer is Jon Anderson. Ian Anderson was from Jethro Tull.
wink.gif

Which of those two recorded "O Superman"?
tongue.gif

It was a slip of the pen: I've actually seen Ian Anderson live (albeit he was only playing two songs) so I do know the difference. Jon Anderson's voice is one of the few things that has ruined a Mike Oldfield track for me; quite possibly the other one would be Mike Oldfield's voice.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which of those two recorded "O Superman"?
tongue.gif

Fantastic response old chap........made me laugh
icon10.gif

(Laurie)

In terms of really annoying vocals I had to trade in my 4 CDs by the Stereophonics when I realised if I heard the vocal drawl one more time I might kick my speakers, sad really ' cause the tunes are very good.

I saw Yes live with the classic line up 3 years ago in Liverpool ( Anderson, Squire, Howe, Wakeman, White). They were note perfect and played a set very similar to the 3 LP Yessongs. Even at his advanced age, Anderson sang in the same key and nailed every high note, somthing that not even the great Robert Plant can do these days. When they played live this year, Led Zep down tuned a good few tracks to give Roberts larynx a fighting chance.

In the past I have also seen live the abomination that was known in the brit music press as Yeggles. At these gigs even Chris Squire stepped forwards to try an help the comprehensively ourtclassed Trevor Horn. << shudder>>

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the whole period from 1976-1982 was the "peak" so to speak (that period inclues 2112, a farewell to kings, hemispheres, permanent waves, moving pictures, signals).

These are pretty much the best albums by Rush. Go for them first.

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 63
Sad that 2 of the best bands musically had 2 of the worst (IMO, of course) singers ever (Anderson, Geddy).
I have often wondered how great Yes and Rush would have been with singers with less high pitched, often piercing voices.

It didn't stop me from being a fan, but I couldn't help thinking: what if?

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sad that 2 of the best bands musically had 2 of the worst (IMO, of course) singers ever (Anderson, Geddy).
I have often wondered how great Yes and Rush would have been with singers with less high pitched, often piercing voices.

i can see that....i only have moving pictures..prob need to get some more...then again i think if they didnt have such unique lead singers they wouldnt be so recognizable i guess you could say. whenever you hear a rush song you know its them because of the singer

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 63
I was always skeptical of Rush, basically b/c of Geddy's voice. But I have a friend who absolutely loves them and he took me to their concert last fall and after seeing them in concert I had more respect for them, I have no idea why I just did. But now I really enjoy listening to them, everyone knows Peart is amazing on the drums, but listen in sometime on how Geddy shreds his bass. Oh and I love Geddy's voice on their earlier albums, sort of reminds me of Robert Plant.

But for albums, my favorites are: Rush, Fly by Night, Farewell to Kings, and Moving Pictures. I can listen to any of those all the way through and then just restart the album and listen to them again.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eh...agree to disagree.

You replace geddy's voice with any other and its just not "Rush" anymore.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 63
I can't speak to Rush because I never really liked them. Something about Geddy Lee's voice I think. As far as Yes, I personally think that they reached their peak with "Closer To The Edge" and "Tales From Topographic Oceans" (which was greatly criticized at the time and continues to be much criticized, which I have never understood...) Yes had great albums before and after, but to me Yes is defined by these two albums...

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #24 of 63
Big fan here of both bands. For those that complain about the "piercing" vocals...taht is all part of the sound. I might recommend a rcent album by Yes..."The Ladder" very reminicent of older Yes with a great engineering job. I have Yes "House Of Yes" on DVD and love it. Rush in it's early days were not a great concert band, it was like watching a recording session, which wasn't bad because they always had a half way decent light show. I first seen them in 1975 growing up in Buffalo NY and they had me mezmerized since. I have seen Yes maybe 6 times and have never been dissapointed. I would love to here some early Rush remastered. As with all bands I would recommend you start with the first release and build the catalog from there

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As with all bands I would recommend you start with the first release and build the catalog from there

Really?!
eek.gif

Had I started on Genesis with Genesis to Revelations or Trespass I doubt that I would have got much further than that. I can think of loads of bands where the first album is immensely misleading.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?!
eek.gif

Had I started on Genesis with Genesis to Revelations or Trespass I doubt that I would have got much further than that. I can think of loads of bands where the first album is immensely misleading.

I agree entirely

would you define Pink Floyd by 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' or would Dark Side of the Moon be more appropriate.

Actually, if you can handle 'Genesis to Revelation' it may be worth checking out the very earliest Yes albums, 'Yes' and 'Time and a Word' Here is where you will find a common root.

On the subject of Genesis, I would say IMO that they are best defined by 'Foxtrot', 'Selling England by the Pound' and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'. I would also add Nursery Crime and the original Live album, although I do also enjoy the 'Seconds Out' live album despite the absence of Peter.

If you ever get a Chance to see 'The Musical Box' I urge you to do so. This is a Canuk band which are officially authorised bt Peter Gabriel. They recreate original Genesis gigs from the 1970s which include not only note perfect renditions, but all lights, costumes and Peter Gabriel interludes and poetry. I have seen both the Foxtrot tour and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour.

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree entirely

would you define Pink Floyd by 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' or would Dark Side of the Moon be more appropriate.

Depends on what you like.
I'm a huge Floyd fan, and in my world the best ones are those released before 73 :)

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #28 of 63
Definitely get Yes' - Close to the Edge
It may be one of my top 5 albums ever. I absolutely love the title track, it is just genius IMO.

For Rush, I like 2112 like most others.

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by lromlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what you like.
I'm a huge Floyd fan, and in my world the best ones are those released before 73 :)

Yep, me too and I even have the music specified to be played at my funeral.

My favourites are Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, TDSOTM and WYWH.

Individual tracks from earlier albums are good such as Green is the Colour, Astonomy Domine, Fat old Sun, A Saucerfull of Secrets.

But to decribe Atom Heart Mother as a great album is going a bit far IMHO
wink.gif

(it is Echos that is in my Last Will and Testament)

I do have every CD made as an official release and 3 of the films with Floyd Soundtracks ( Live at Pompeii, La Valle, More)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back