Yes - Relayer
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dr.Love

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone else enjoying the hell out of this album? Recently picked it up and glad I did!
580smile.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else enjoying the hell out of this album? Recently picked it up and glad I did!
580smile.gif

Gosh ... I was really into that album when I was 16 and worked at the Bakewell Pudding Shop that summer ...oh when was it ..1976 or '77!

But yeah, you're right it was good then and it'll still be good now. A couple or more years ago when Steve Howe was doing a solo acoustic guitar thing in Aberdeen I shouted out "..do Gates of Delirium for us Steve!" and he said, "yeah!".
icon10.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 15
My favorite Yes album!
I think it's one of their most consistent, varied and interesting albums.

And "Gates Of Delirium" is one of their most powerful, aggressive, experimental and beautiful songs.
"Awaken" would be a close second to me if not for the somewhat hokey lyrics (by Mr. Hokey himself, hehe).

"Soundchaser" is also one of their most unconventional compositions and "To Be Over" one of their prettiest... still, "Gates" alone is worth the price of admission!

Close To The Edge is also very good and if you don't have it, pick up Tales Of Topographic Oceans.

It's not one of their best albums but strangely has some of their best ideas. The problem with that album is that it's made up of four 20 minute tracks. The 1st track to me is perfect as is (and is one of their best) but the other 3 tracks could EASILY have been improved by being trimmed down to 10 or 12 minutes each.

There's just a lot of filler and repetition but within each song there is some really terrific playing and writing. There is also a live version of the last track on an album called "Yessongs" which sounds better than the album track due to being at a slightly faster tempo and just sounding more energetic overall (this album also has a great live version of "Gates Of Delirium").

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 15
Cool! I am really enjoying Close to the Edge as well! Topographic Oceans will be my next cd purchase, I was about to ask how that album was too, thanks for the info, I'll give it a try and see how I like it.

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 15
Just remember to be patient with Topographic... it may not appeal to you right away but after a few listens you'll probably appreciate it.

Like I said, it isn't their best but it probably could have been with some heavy editing. Maybe the producer didn't have the nerve to say, "Ok guys, this is a bit much, let's keep this musical AND cohesive", hehe).

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is also a live version of the last track ("Ritual") on an album called "Yessongs" which sounds better than the album track due to being at a slightly faster tempo and just sounding more energetic overall (this album also has a great live version of "Gates Of Delirium").

The live album with "Ritual" and "Gates" is 'Yesshows,' which was recorded in the 1976-79 period. 'Yessongs,' recorded during the 'Close To The Edge' tour/tours, contains live versions of virtually everything from 'The Yes Album,' 'Fragile' and 'CTTE.'
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 15
I bought the 35th anniversary collection today, just because it was cheap and i kept seeing Yes's name popping up here as a reference band.... so i thought i'd give it a go.... leave that one with me
wink.gif
... might be a while cos i am not sure what to make of it yet
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite Yes album!
I think it's one of their most consistent, varied and interesting albums.

And "Gates Of Delirium" is one of their most powerful, aggressive, experimental and beautiful songs.
"Awaken" would be a close second to me if not for the somewhat hokey lyrics (by Mr. Hokey himself, hehe).

"Soundchaser" is also one of their most unconventional compositions and "To Be Over" one of their prettiest... still, "Gates" alone is worth the price of admission!

Close To The Edge is also very good and if you don't have it, pick up Tales Of Topographic Oceans.

It's not one of their best albums but strangely has some of their best ideas. The problem with that album is that it's made up of four 20 minute tracks. The 1st track to me is perfect as is (and is one of their best) but the other 3 tracks could EASILY have been improved by being trimmed down to 10 or 12 minutes each.

There's just a lot of filler and repetition but within each song there is some really terrific playing and writing. There is also a live version of the last track on an album called "Yessongs" which sounds better than the album track due to being at a slightly faster tempo and just sounding more energetic overall (this album also has a great live version of "Gates Of Delirium").

soundchaser is chris squire's masterwork on bass.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The live album with "Ritual" and "Gates" is 'Yesshows,' which was recorded in the 1976-79 period. 'Yessongs,' recorded during the 'Close To The Edge' tour/tours, contains live versions of virtually everything from 'The Yes Album,' 'Fragile' and 'CTTE.'
tongue.gif

Thanks! Always got those 2 mixed up!
"Yessongs" is pretty good too, haven't heard that in ages, will have to dig the CD up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 15
I'm going to dust off this thread for two reasons. First, proper respect to Chris Squire; he was my favorite musician in Yes. May he rest in peace.
Second, I loved Relayer. I think it was the culmination of the "Topographic Oceans" era. Wakeman had had enough with the album-side songs and Patrick Moraz was brought on board. Just for Relayer, though.
To Be Over is my favorite.
They eventually made the song Soon from the ending of Relayer. It's a beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back