Yes, I need a great amp for my HD650s...
May 17, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 32
I have the old version of the MPX3 with NOS tubes and love it. It would be great if you listen to a lot of acoustic/strings. You just can't replicate the kind of soundstage the tubes create. Also, NOS tubes would add a just *touch* of fat to the sound to really make your acoustic/bluegrass stuff sound great.

May 17, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 32
Larry and Phil at Larocco just made this to go with my Arcam CD33t and HD650s
very_evil_smiley.gif

full_monty.jpg

May 17, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas
It sounds like there are some strong advocates of tube amplification for the 650s paired with good sources. Are there recommended upgrades for the MPX3, or is the stock version sufficient? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger here...

Also, what is the life expectancy of tubes? Is burn-in necessary for tube amps? (I have zero experience here.)

Also, what is the best way to contact Mikhail?

I think the MPX3 will benefit from burn in more than the avereage headphone amp due to the LARGE power caps taking a while to burn in. My amp was really great when it got here, but nothing like it was after 2-3 hundred hours of playing time.
As far as the tubes go.....Just use the EH tubes that come with the amp for the burn in and then if you want to get the NOS tubes you can add them later. There is a great thread called the singlepower tube rolling thread that will help you out alot. I would ask Mikhail about the prototype amp with the outboard powrr supply if you have the room. The power supply alone is close to as big as the MPX3. The sound is excellent! sales@singlepower.com Tell Mikhail what you have and what you want, and how much you have to spend and he will hook you up.
icon10.gif
600smile.gif

You might want to check out the PPA's if your into solid state amps. The one purk has is awesome! I can't imagine how good they are with the diamomd buffers.

May 17, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 32
The Headroom Max is my favorite, and its younger cousin the Maxed Out Home is almost as good. I like the LIQUID SMOOTH presentation that these amps give with the HD650. Extremely good bass, analytical, neutral highs imho.

I've heard lots of different dynamic amps, that's my personal preference.

They are on a 25% sale at http://www.headphone.com/.

I think this is the best deal on the market right now. I own a maxed out home and like it more than any of the other unbalanced amps I've heard (except the max).

And NO, I do not work for headroom.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: the price for the maxed out home with dual inputs is $860, that's an incredible bargain. Consider this or the MAX, if your sonic preferences are neutral to slightly warm with GREAT soundstage.

Cheers,
geek

May 17, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #20 of 32
rudistor rp4
It is a great beast of an amp , it's really near the rudi rp5 but less then half the price .
It gives the hd650 full drive and very smooth freq. spectrum

May 17, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 32
May 18, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #22 of 32
I dont think there is a porta Corda HA-1 HA-2
confused.gif

There is a Porta Corda MK-1 and MK-2 but no POrta Corda HA-1...

Its just Corda HA-1 / HA-2

But enough of my anorak behaviour
tongue.gif

The differences will be subtle at best. I once again re-inforce the MPX-3 / PPX-3 recommendation (as I have done before). Headroom has a nice return policy but I really was not too fond of any of their budget amps. The headroom MAX (maxxed out) is the first decent amp in their line-up (IMHO).

Rudistor RP5 and RP4 are supposed to have similar signatures but they are really very different beasts so I cannot comment.

Corda is nice...the Prehead is a beast...doesnt quite have the dynamics of the PPX3/MPX3. Actually - between the PPX3 and MPX3 I would pick the PPX3
tongue.gif
but thats just me...

May 18, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrYman
So, would you say that Rudistor RP4 is best of the bunch mentioned below?

Rudistor RP4 ($460)
http://www.rudistor.com/soundsystems/RP4.htm

Porta Corda HA-1 MkII ($440)
http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/ha1mk2.htm

Porta Corda HA-2 ($660)
http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/ha2.htm

HeadRoom Maxed Out Home ($650)
http://tinyurl.com/2kjpr

HeadRoom Little More Power - Premium Module ($510)
http://tinyurl.com/333aa

Rudi is a good level minded person so he keeps prices low to gain a little respect into the market ; I'm quite sure that his amps value is much more high then the price he sells them .
I think soon some here will try the plunge on an rp4 , and sure will return with positive opinions .
I don't know how many tried rudi amps up to now .

Senns hd650 can benefit in different way from a lot of amplifiers , because of their "very receptive" and capable drivers ; rudistor are among these , and imo among the best for fulldriving well them .

I'm not affiliated with rudi in anyway :p

He just pacted with me to construct an rp4 for less then 400$ some months ago
also said me he will take the rp4 back and fully refund it when upgrading to rp5

May 18, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
Rudi is a good level minded person so he keeps prices low to gain a little respect into the market
wink.gif

Yes he is a brilliant builder who makes beautiful products. I am preparing my review which will be coming out soon...should make a few people turn heads.

boodi - can you also do a review on the RP4 ? Thanks!!

Quote:

I'm quite sure that his amps value is much more high then the price he sells them

From a purely sonic point of view - $700 - $900 for the RP5 is a steal. It looks and sounds better than a $1300 Grace 901 and simply trumps a $1500.00 Headroom MAX. It sounds better than ANY other amplifier I have heard so far with the Sennheiser HD-650 and I do not exaggerate
eek.gif

Quote:

I'm not affiliated with rudi in anyway :p

Me neither. I never heard of him until this March when we had a Florida HeadFi meet. I heard the amp...fell in love...and I bought it a few months after from the owner who now has ordered a Maestro and owns a Stealth for use with his R-10.

Quote:

He just pacted with me to construct an rp4 for less then 400$ some months ago. Also said me he will take the rp4 back and fully refund it when upgrading to rp5

Jump on it when he releases a new version (RP7 I think...) I will also request an upgrade
wink.gif

The RP5 is bliss boodi. Where are you located? I would love to do a RP4 and RP5 audition...should be interesting
wink.gif

May 18, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #25 of 32
I'm not going to review the rp4 for now .
Let's be patient
wink.gif

I'm quite sure rudi said the truth to me when saying rp4 match quite close the sound quality and signus of the rp5 , which can may be the best amp for these cans .

I would higly suggest someone who have to buy an amp for senns hd650 to try the rp4 .

Maybe Rudi could be disposable to build one to listen in a meeting ..
but i fear it's not his policy to sponsor himself this way ...

May 18, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #26 of 32
So at this point I have it narrowed down to the RP5 and the MPX-3. Given that my main amp is solid state (and that I have no experience with tube gear), I'm fairly excited about supplying the 650s wih tube amplification. I've not heard many stories about people matching Arcam sources with tube amps, but a bit of warmth shouldn't hurt things at all. After all, the CD33 is relatively uncolored.

The RP5 will fit in my cabinet with less labor... I just got an email saying that I can have it in 10 days...

May 18, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #28 of 32
RP5 Reference S.E. + Sennheiser HD 650 a MUST!

I did not found at the moment a better dynamic combo...

The S.E. of the RP5 has a very good thing inside: two trimmer you can adjust (veru esay to do this) for two different kind of tubes: E88CC & ECC86 first set are more indicated for the HD 650, the second for the Grado RS-1 (or Grado cans in general...)... do you want something more ???

I have some pics of it if someone want ask to my personal e-mail (see my signature).

Best!
Nicola

May 18, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #29 of 32
Okay, so I pulled the trigger on a highly upgraded MPX-3 from Mikhail. He's coming to NYC this weekend, so I will meet him on Sunday to pick it up. Looking forward to it.

Three more questions: Should I upgrade the stock cables on the 650s? Stock power cable for the amp, or upgrade? And does anyone have ICs to recommend for the MPX-3? My go-to RCA cables are Audioquest Pythons...but I'm open to other ideas.

May 18, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #30 of 32
You are trying to do everything just a bit too fast. The MPX3 is a beauty...wait for it to come in and then do everything one by one. You need to know how the amp and headphones sound to you stock so that you can make the rest of the purchases.

Example - if the amp is too warm then a silver interconnect can be the answer to your problem. If it is too bright then a high grade copper interconnect will do nicely.

Similarly if the setup is too dull then a Zu Cable Mobius or Cardas will be ideal. Or else a Oelbach will fit the bill...

Wait...be patient...dont rush into these things headfirst...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back