Yes, ANOTHER HORNET THREAD!
Feb 10, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here' my silver one:

click for big pic:

Looking at your pic, it looks like silver w/ black lettering? Is the Hornet available in silver with black silkscreening on it? On Ray's website it only shows the silver with gold lettering, which doesn't look that great.

Ideally, I'd like a black one with silver lettering and a silver knob, just like the SR-71, but I'm not sure if that's possible...

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif
I just finished buying this and the HD580s, I don't have any money left, not even a quarter to do that test!
frown.gif

Now you got my interest ... I was thinking of the HD580s and the Hornet. Please post more on your impressions.

Side note - I gotta admit that they are very neat looking toys. Then again, they ain't free.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It only looks big until someone shoots it next to a SR-71 or HR Micro...

Like this?.....

p563162932-3.jpg

Or what about this?.....

p1022996945-3.jpg

Barry

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you got my interest ... I was thinking of the HD580s and the Hornet. Please post more on your impressions.

Side note - I gotta admit that they are very neat looking toys. Then again, they ain't free.

Current setup:
HD580
HD650 cable
ALO Vampire LOD
and Hornet "M"

Currently, the headphones have about 140 hours of burn in; the and amp ~ 200 hours burn in. I have at least another 200 hours to go before the amp is considered burned in...

I'm not sure what genre you're into, but so far I've been using this setup to listen to jazz and classical, so YMMV. The overall sound is smooth and mellow, the soundstage is 'wide', it sounds like the music is extended around my head, which is why I switched to full sized cans, the E500s were good, but I grew tired of the 'in your head' type of sound. The bass, which I'm expecting to continue improving, is very tight and defined to the point where I can hear the bassist fingering the strings on double bass, and also it's DEEP! It doesn't over power the rest of the range... Treble is perfect, not bright, but smooth and crystal clear, great for listening to jazz trumpet (on some tracks I can hear the artist breathing in between notes!), the same goes for soprano sax. Classical music like St. Georges, the violins sound awesome, the top end evens sparkles (well to me at least)!! The mids are also liquid smooth, it works very well for alto\tenor sax. Let me also add that this combination gives the appearance of WEIGHT\DEPTH to the music, which helps to add the life to it, as if you're in a small intimate club listening to the artists!

I am extremely happy with the combo... also the fact that the background is BLACK! Meaning there is NO HISS whatosever! Which greatly adds to the clarity! I'll be holding on to this setup for while before upgrading, I might add a custom IEM to the mix down the line so I can take this on the road with me..

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at your pic, it looks like silver w/ black lettering? Is the Hornet available in silver with black silkscreening on it? On Ray's website it only shows the silver with gold lettering, which doesn't look that great.

Ideally, I'd like a black one with silver lettering and a silver knob, just like the SR-71, but I'm not sure if that's possible...

Yes it is Silver w/ Black the Silver w/ gold were just prototypes I believe

Feb 11, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #51 of 51
FWIW: I sold my supermacro iV a week ago and bought the Hornet. The SMIV was OK, but just that--"OK" Didn't really do it for me and don't know why.
So anyway, bought a red Hornet--which looks interesting--using with ALO Jena cryodock, paired with Vibes, Ety4ps and an occassional Beyer 880

The 'phones just "sing" with the Hornet unlike anything I heard out of the SMIV. Soundstage/musical presence, it's all there And I REALLY love the Vibe/Hornet combo.

And don't forget, I only have a handful of hours on the Hornet. And yes, it is quite tiny. And of course we all know of Ray's excellent service.

So, a previous SMIV-user, now a Hornet convert. Next purchase might be one of Ray's larger amps for non-portable uses.
orphsmile.gif

O forgot to mention: source is Ipld 5g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back