Yearly headphone purchase
May 4, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 43
Have you tried re-cabled headphones before? If not you may want to see if you could try some before investing your own money in it. I bought a cable from a friend (it was cheap and he built if for me for the cost of materials) for my modded HD580's. Specifically to see if it would make a difference for me. He said it was a night & day difference. I don't doubt that it makes a difference for him but I couldn't hear any difference. I'm not saying not to do a re-cable or that it doesn't work. I'd just make sure that it's a difference I could perceive before investing major amounts of my money in it.

If you like the Denon sound and want it tweaked than go ahead and do the mods. But if you want to be able to plug in to a completely different sound than your other headphones than I would stick with the K701's.

May 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #17 of 43
Hi just recently bought the DT880 and it's a really nice sound ! I sold my D2000 for these and I was looking for the same thing as you, different sound. They sound really different, and in a good way. I really recommend them as you next purchase. Buy them here if you can, you will save money and you can put money for next year purchase !
wink_face.gif

May 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried re-cabled headphones before? If not you may want to see if you could try some before investing your own money in it.

I haven't, and I don't think it would be feasible for me to audition something like this before buying, unfortunately.

Quote:

If you like the Denon sound and want it tweaked than go ahead and do the mods. But if you want to be able to plug in to a completely different sound than your other headphones than I would stick with the K701's.

This is what I'm torn between - I love the Denon sound(I enjoy my SR-125s as well, although I prefer the AH-D2000). But modding the Denons would be as expensive, if not more, than buying a completely new pair of headphones - and I would also like the option to listen to a different headphone depending on my mood, the music I'm listening to, etc.

So it would have to be a pretty substantial difference to justify an upgrade. If I went this route, I would probably choose the custom wood earcups or "markl" mod. I mostly just threw the replacement cable option out there to see what people had to say about it(you never know).

Jeeze, it's times like these I wished I lived in a real city with a real headphone store. But you guys have helped a lot; keep the suggestions coming!

May 4, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagail118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi just recently bought the DT880 and it's a really nice sound ! I sold my D2000 for these and I was looking for the same thing as you, different sound. They sound really different, and in a good way. I really recommend them as you next purchase. Buy them here if you can, you will save money and you can put money for next year purchase !
wink_face.gif

Well, I'm actually looking for something to compliment the Denons and Grados, not really replace them. The DT 880 is certainly an attractive headphone though. I'm leaning toward the AKG K701 at the moment because it's what nearly everybody has recommended to me, but since you've owned both the D2000 and DT880, can you give me more details as to how they compare? What makes you choose the DT880 over the D2000? Does it simply sound better overall, or does it just have a different sound that you like more? And what makes them sound so different?

May 4, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herakty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm actually looking for something to compliment the Denons and Grados, not really replace them. The DT 880 is certainly an attractive headphone though. I'm leaning toward the AKG K701 at the moment because it's what nearly everybody has recommended to me, but since you've owned both the D2000 and DT880, can you give me more details as to how they compare? What makes you choose the DT880 over the D2000? Does it simply sound better overall, or does it just have a different sound that you like more? And what makes them sound so different?

Well I think the DT880 are just more detailed and the sound is rich. The D2000, I think, was kind of dark sounding. The DT880 sound to me just more control and neutral. I have never heard the AKG K701, but I found the K601 had not enough presence. I hope the higher end model are different.

May 5, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #21 of 43
i know your goal is to obtain some phones with a different sound. but, be cautious of going "too different."

there really aren't two models of headphone out there that sound identical. so, even a dt880 will sound very different from your D2000s. The k701 on the other hand, will sound, in my opinion, night and day different.

If you've come to like the deep, bassy, luxurious sound of the Denons, then the AKGs might prove hard to get used to -- perhaps.

Because, as I said in an earlier post, the punchy mid-bass of the Grados is simply not there in the AKGs. Nor is the quantity of deep, sub-bass of the Denons.

There's bass, mind you. But it's dead neutral, and very tightly controlled within the sound field and frequency spectrum.

This, combined with their low impedence and low sensitivity, makes the k701s difficult to pair with amps. And that's sort of an understatement.

However, if you listen to enough jazz and classical, and maybe some live acoustic music ("unplugged" stuff, for example), then the k701s are not only forgiving of these types of music, but excel at them as well as any phones i've heard.

Personally, knowing what I know now about the sound signatures of all the full size phones i've owned (dt880, dt990, k701, hd595), if i could only have one set, it would be the dt990s. but that's just me.

For $250, the k701s aren't really a huge monetary gamble. at the very least, you will get a soundstage unlike either of your current cans. And you'll get detail retrieval in the upper frequencies that is superb. i guess, in short, if you can live without huge bass, then you might just be really happy.

May 5, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #22 of 43
I think TheWuss is pretty spot-on with his comments above. And I'll go back to my description of the K701 "clarity, precision and more of an analytical presentation". Which is a very different presentation than your other two headphones.

I'll throw another option into the mix. Have you thought about another portable? I have the Audio-Technica ESW-9. They are a portable, closed headphone that is very good at preventing leakage. It also has a different sound than what you have now though not as an extreme difference as the K701. Though some people do have issues with comfort. Just another suggestion to broaden your options.

May 5, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

This is what I'm torn between - I love the Denon sound(I enjoy my SR-125s as well, although I prefer the AH-D2000). But modding the Denons would be as expensive, if not more, than buying a completely new pair of headphones - and I would also like the option to listen to a different headphone depending on my mood, the music I'm listening to, etc.

So it would have to be a pretty substantial difference to justify an upgrade. If I went this route, I would probably choose the custom wood earcups or "markl" mod. I mostly just threw the replacement cable option out there to see what people had to say about it(you never know).

Mods on existing headphones make for subtle improvements. You aren't going to turn it in to a new headphone. Even marching up the product line from D2000 to D5000 to D7000 makes for subtle differences. They're all still very much the Denon sound. My hope if I got the Lawton wood cups would be for some improvement in the midrange making it less recessed. Would it do that? I don't know. Some reviews seem to think so, but I haven't heard for myself and haven't seen any frequency response graphs to get an objective clue. A purchase like that would be hit or miss whether it would satisfy me or not. And I already get most of what I want from the Denon by EQing the midrange to get rid of the recessed dip. So what would I get with the wood cups? Maybe being able to get away with no EQ more often?

So I opted for getting something really different and got the SR325is. So my trio of primary headphones became HD600, D2000, SR325is (and SR60 sitting in as an alternative portable headphone). I'm still thinking about the wood cups for the future.

A caution on the Beyers. The ones I've been able to try (a 770 and 990) had rip my ears off cymbals. Too much boost in the highs right at the cymbals for me. Rock music was no fun cause all I notice is cymbals and can't enjoy the mids or bass with that going on. But that's just me. Not everybody hears the same or bothered by that sound. I just know it's not for me.

May 5, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A caution on the Beyers. The ones I've been able to try (a 770 and 990) had rip my ears off cymbals.

i hear ya, man. but, unfortunately, there are so many models of the beyers that's its confusing for all but the beyer salesman.
icon10.gif

from what i've read, and partially from my own experience, the 32 ohm beyers are pretty intense in the treble. i owned a 32 ohm dt880 for a couple weeks. couldn't get past it.

my 250 ohm dt880 is wonderfully balanced. slightly warm. i'd go so far as the call the treble sweet. the 600 ohm model is reputedly better. it has its own appreciation thread, after all.
wink.gif

the dt990 has a slightly brighter sound. i might even say the treble is more realistic than the dt880. and the only time it's been too bright for me is when i turn it up to excrutiating volume (occasionally, just to see what happens.
wink.gif
) ...but, then again, most headphones fall apart in one way or another at 110 decibels and above.
wink.gif

but, your post does highlight an interesting point in the OP's decision making process. i'd only recommend the beyers if getting the 250 or 600 ohm model. so, that also means amplification is of some importance.

May 5, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know your goal is to obtain some phones with a different sound. but, be cautious of going "too different."

Thanks for the information. If there's one thing I've learned about headphones, it's that there is no "right" headphone that suits everybody. And I'll take into account what you said about the K701.

I've decided to approach this from a slightly different angle. I'm listening to my SR-125s and Denon AH-D2000s right now, putting together a list of what I like and dislike about them. Hopefully, this will make it easier to find a complementary headphone.

May 5, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mods on existing headphones make for subtle improvements. You aren't going to turn it in to a new headphone. Even marching up the product line from D2000 to D5000 to D7000 makes for subtle differences.

That pretty much answers my question - the devil is in the details(and subtle details are the name of this game, right?), but I think I'll develop my headphone collection a bit more before deciding which one to mod.

May 5, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

I've decided to approach this from a slightly different angle. I'm listening to my SR-125s and Denon AH-D2000s right now, putting together a list of what I like and dislike about them. Hopefully, this will make it easier to find a complementary headphone.

bloody brilliant. i look forward to reading your impressions...
k701smile.gif

May 5, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

That pretty much answers my question - the devil is in the details(and subtle details are the name of this game, right?), but I think I'll develop my headphone collection a bit more before deciding which one to mod.

Yes, listen to and try a variety of headphones first. Find what you like. You don't know till you try. Then once you find what you like you can go modding to tweak it to your subtle desires. It doesn't make much sense to go mod first then explore later to find your personal ideal sound style.

Play with EQ with the D2000. It's the best free upgrade/mod you can do with them. Best part is that EQ is completely reversible if you don't like it.

May 5, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #29 of 43
Ham_Sandwich, can you elaborate a bit on your take on this? I am asking since I am considering a K701 set as an upgrade.

"To me the K701 is more suited as a studio headphone than a music listening headphone."

PS: Ham sandwich. Now I'm hungry. lol... LOL...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #30 of 43
This is an interesting quote. Did anyone here try them with a GS-1?

"This, combined with their low impedence and low sensitivity, makes the k701s difficult to pair with amps. And that's sort of an understatement." I will search a bit for this as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back