Ye Age-Old Sennheiser Debate
Jun 4, 2003 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

tanfenton

500+ Head-Fier
In all seriousness, do you or do you not hear something one might characterize as a veil in Sennheiser's HD-580 and HD-600? This is not a thread for venting. Respond on-topic, please, and suspend your incredulousness for another thread.

NGF

Jun 4, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 96
What you hear as veiling, I hear as laid-back. I can appreciate the forward upper-mids of Etymotics, but I always end up going back to my HD600 + Equinox combo in the end. I just find it to be a more "natural" presentation. FWIW, I listen to mainly classical, and I feel that the Senns give me a certain "concert hall" feeling that I love.

Jun 4, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
What you hear as veiling, I hear as laid-back.

What he said. There is a difference.

Jun 4, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 96
My HD600 is not as bright as my SR-80. I call that "warmer," but others might say "veiled." They're just trying to make you spend more money.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 96
I found HD580's with the standard cable quite laid back. Relaxing phones and great for low volumes, but not for the majority of my music.

This forum seems to equate "veiled" with "laid-back". They're different things. Laid-back means that the mids are distant sounding and recessed. Veiling has to do with a lack of detail.

I've heard people say the HD580/HD600 has "no detail" or "fake detail". Maybe compared to other headphones but that's not what they sounded like to me.

The short answer: no.

Jun 4, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 96
i think the problem with HD600 lies in its slight lack of transparency, if you compare with say Stax or Beyer DT770. In fact, my idea was to change its connector cable. But i was advised against it by friends on reasoning of cost. In the end, i traded in for a pair of PXC-250, which by its light nature and portability, seems more appropriate for my daily purposes.

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 96
Like many have said before me, pair them with the right setup, and there is little or no "veil." Simple as that. Although, I do believe that it shouldn't have to be this way...having to buy the small number of correct componts etc, that will work best for the Senns in order for them to shine. To a certain extent, it is that way with all headphones, but more so with the 580/600's.

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 96
I'm currently using HD600's w/ an Equinox and the no foam pad mod.. I still think there is a 'veil' to the sound. I think it comes down to a lack of ultimate speed, detail, clarity and a midbass hump that 'covers' things just a bit. It seems like the sound has a diffused feel to it, soft focus vs. hard focus in photography terms. It feels like looking at the world through a dark (yet still definitely translucent) veil.

That being said, I still very much enjoy my setup.

-dd3mon

Jun 4, 2003 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 96
In all honesty I don't think "veiled" is the proper term. Like dd3mon I think the term is used to describe many different aspects of the HD580/600's presentation of the music. When I first came to Head-Fi I thought it was an accepted term used to describe these aspects but found out through using it what a nerve it touches with some people.

Jun 4, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 96
I voted yes, refusing to engage in the "veiled" or "laid back" debate. I do not know the precise meaning of these terms, other than what was written on this thread. I think the mids on the 580s are a bit muffled, or as defined by Rizumu, laid back.

Still love them though.

Jun 4, 2003 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 96
Quote:

Laid-back means that the mids are distant sounding and recessed.

FWIW, that's exactly what I mean by "veiled" when I say the HD600 is veiled. I'm not referring to detail retrieval. Detail is there, but its hazy, foggy, muffled and yes veiled.

Mark

Jun 4, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 96
Quote:

This forum seems to equate "veiled" with "laid-back". They're different things. Laid-back means that the mids are distant sounding and recessed. Veiling has to do with a lack of detail.

yeah that's exactly what popped into my mind when i first heard the 580s a couple of weeks ago -- there's a lot of detail, but there was a recessed quality about the midrange/upper midrage which seem to be dominated by mid-upper bass. the treble on the other hand, is very smooth and airy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back