Yay! sibilance on cx300 solved!!
Apr 13, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
Diggin' the avatar!
lambda.gif

x2!

anyways, i don't find the cx300 to be very sibilant, except on some older recordings. but thanks for posting this.

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 34
Yeah old recordings mostly. And if your into music that doesn't involve much vocals then there's no problem at all.
But still the mod was life saver for me. Don't do it if there's no real need to it though.

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Oy! The sibilance is part of the high frequencies of your equalizer (usually between 12k and 20k), but not "down."

Actually, frequencies between 5khz to 7 khz are well known to cause fatigue/ sibilliance if, for example, pronounced to much during the mastering process.

In fact, between 20khz and 5 khz theres just two octaves, so frequencies in between are perceived as treble (or
trebly, if pronounced) by most people.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 34
You are on the right track in cleaning up the main problem in most micro earphones.
What you call sibilliance is just the sweet spot in the center dome. Most audio drivers 8mm to 13mm used in earphones have a very high free air resonance resulting in a break up of sound waves from 3khz to 8khz.

Instead of a solid piece of restriction use a similar product with a hole in the center. This hole will allow the limited upper frequencies to pass through the filter device creating a simple but effective filter to take that edge off the sound signature.

That foam designed in most headphones cushions has many advantages.
tongue.gif

Conrad,

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero
What do you mean? In terms of burn in? I don't belive in IEM burn in.

These aren't IEMs in the true sense...

They have dynamic drivers (which, if you believe it) DO burn in, whereas true IEMs (apart from the Shure E2c, maybe others) use balanced armature drivers, which are NOT affected by burn in...

...The Sony EX7x series proves that this type of earphone is very prone to burn in (or, out - depending on how you look at it) when having put a couple of hundred hours on them, the treble starts to fade away quite quickly until you're left with quite a mushy sound.

Cool first post kminot... hope you'll hang around
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #21 of 34
What is sibilance? Sorry, but still just a newb.

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #22 of 34
I'll tell you the truth- i don't wanna tell you
rolleyes.gif

See there much psychology involved into this. The moment your getting aware of it is the moment you find it hard to get rid of it then you hear it everywhere.
So basically if you don't know what it is, do yerself a favour and don't bother...

Apr 14, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

What do you mean? In terms of burn in? I don't belive in IEM burn in.
If you mean that i moded them to soon, well, i couldn't sssstand the sibilance to a point i stoped using them. Now they are a keeper.

EDIT: cheers neirika :p

I've got EP630, do they have the same sibilance? because i dont hear any.
Do the ep630 have the same sibiliance?
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Tran
What is sibilance? Sorry, but still just a newb.

DEFINITION OF SIBILANCE
that's sssssibilance

EDIT: OMG! SHIITTT NOW I HEAR SSSS"S LIKE HELL

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz
I've got EP630, do they have the same sibilance? because i dont hear any.

I only notice it at extremely high volumes. At my normal listening volume with the EP-630 I don't hear any really bad sibiliance.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

I find it too sibiliant for MY taste.

By the way, there´s a member of a german board, saying if he puts the 630 in one ear, the CX 300 in the other, he couldn´t hear a difference in sound.
So i believe them to be if not the same, at least very similar; But not sure about that at all.

Quote:

You are on the right track in cleaning up the main problem in most micro earphones.
What you call sibilliance is just the sweet spot in the center dome. Most audio drivers 8mm to 13mm used in earphones have a very high free air resonance resulting in a break up of sound waves from 3khz to 8khz.

Instead of a solid piece of restriction use a similar product with a hole in the center. This hole will allow the limited upper frequencies to pass through the filter device creating a simple but effective filter to take that edge off the sound signature.

That foam designed in most headphones cushions has many advantages

So, did i get you right, you´re suggesting using some kind of solid plastic with a hole in the middle instead of the foam? Or foam with a hole in the center?

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #27 of 34
coming out of my ipod/computer, the cx300 indeed is very sibiliant. while it makes a song unbearable at times, the song is just fine when i'm using my ath-es7. i guess it's pretty weird that it's sibiliant and bass heavy at the same time.

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghopper
coming out of my ipod/computer, the cx300 indeed is very sibiliant. while it makes a song unbearable at times, the song is just fine when i'm using my ath-es7. i guess it's pretty weird that it's sibiliant and bass heavy at the same time.

Not unless the Sony EX7x driver is an OEM unit, and Sennheiser have bought into it, and maybe tweaked it slightly (with driver housing etc etc)

Just a thought, by no means conclusive.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Remove the metal grill by gently pressing on it and scratch it carefully off with a small screw driver. Then stuff a little cotton in there. Not to much though.
Done. No sibilance whatsoever!!!
eggosmile.gif
(bear in mind that with some bad recordings no mod is going to help you. no metter which headphone.)

damn, i cant get it off without breaking it and just ripping it out. you managed to put it back in in mint condition after pulling it out?

i have an old, broken pair of EPs im testing on
tongue.gif
cant get the ring off either without doing some damage
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back