Yay! sibilance on cx300 solved!!
Apr 13, 2006 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Peyotero

500+ Head-Fier
Remove the metal grill by gently pressing on it and scratch it carefully off with a small screw driver. Then stuff a little cotton in there. Not to much though.
Done. No sibilance whatsoever!!!
eggosmile.gif
(bear in mind that with some bad recordings no mod is going to help you. no metter which headphone.)

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 34
Diggin' the avatar!
lambda.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 34
What do you mean? In terms of burn in? I don't belive in IEM burn in.
If you mean that i moded them to soon, well, i couldn't sssstand the sibilance to a point i stoped using them. Now they are a keeper.

EDIT: cheers neirika :p

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 34
I did the folowing to my EP 630; it may also work on CX 300; no need to pull out the mesh:

Instead of cotton, i used different kinds of foam.

http://img437.imageshack.us/my.php?image=offen5yi.jpg

http://img437.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vier6wm.jpg

http://img437.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deckel5zr.jpg

The red glue holding the aluminium-ring is not very hard; you can pull the ring down with your fingernails, or maybe a pocket knife. After "modding", just push it back to its place- done. Totaly reversible.

For outdoor use, i´m pretty satisfied with the Ep that way.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 34
Looks much worse than it is.

The red stuff ist the glue holding the metal ring.
The black part, where he mesh is in, is just glued to the rest of the phone.

Put back together, you can´t tell the difference between the opened and a new phone.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 34
Cool... but never experienced any sibilance with my CX300. They seem to be very balanced, IMHO, independently of the source (iPod, iAudio U2, CD player).

Are you sure the sibilance you are experiencing is not coming from your audio source?

----

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 34
Visigodo, some ppl are more sensetive to sibilance then others. There's no question that the cx300 are VERY sibilant. This is something i noticed almost right away. It's the high frequency teritory. 5khz (maybe 20khz to) and down me thinks. This is the one of the first ranges you stop hearing with age. I'm still sensitive to it i guess.

I have the phones for quite some time and naturaly i checked all of my sources. Even though i knew i don't have to. I stoped using them becouse the metalic SSSSSS was unbearable. Now it sounds like a real "s" very warm and natural.

EDIT: consider yerself lucky i guess.

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero
There's no question that the cx300 are VERY sibilant. This is something i noticed almost right away. It's the high frequency territory.

Sorry to disagree again, but I found the CX300 anything but sibilant. I had other headphones and ear-canal monitors that were indeed sibilant (Sony, and Apple earbuds to be more precise). I also found that some sources produce a huge amount of sibilance and unbalanced sound. I had for a brief time a Samsung MP3 player that was horrendously tilted to the high frequencies. And it affected the sound independently of the headphones used. I returned it to the store within days.

Many people, including myself, have reviewed the CX300 in these boards, and just about everyone agrees this IEM model is actually "bassy," rather than "sibilant."

Quote:

5khz (maybe 20khz to) and down me thinks. This is the one of the first ranges you stop hearing with age. I'm still sensitive to it i guess.

Oy! The sibilance is part of the high frequencies of your equalizer (usually between 12k and 20k), but not "down."
Not sure what you are suggesting with the "age" thing, but first, I'm not "old," and second, my hearing is thankfully very acute. I try to make sure it stays that way by "babying my ears." Good hearing is a requirement on part of what I do for a living, so I have very sensitive hearing. So far I have not heard any sibilance on my CX300, at all.

Quote:

I stopped using them because the metalic SSSSSS was unbearable. Now it sounds like a real "s" very warm and natural.

In my experience, that metallic "SSSSSS" sound that you are experiencing is produced by your mp3 player. If you are using a source with bad acoustics or a poor amp, chances are it will produce electronic noise.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 34
You can disagree all day but i didn't do the mod out of boredom. And the sound signature change was to obvious to be a placebo.
Also i never said the cx300 aren't bassy. They are as bassy as you could wish from an IEM but what sibilance got to do with it?

P.S
Kinda silly to asume i only used the crappy sandisk DAP with those.

All in all, if you found the cx300's not sibilant then i'm happy for you and the others. Wha tcan i say?
Those were my impressions (to revealing to ignore might i add) hence the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back