Yay, I got a real pen!
Jun 7, 2006 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so it isn't my first nice pen (that would be my Zebra aluminum pen, can't remember the actual model now), but today, I picked up a Fisher Space Pen (the bullet design)! After some preliminary tests, it writes fantastically! No other pen I have writes this smoothly! Pick one up if you can, I highly recommend it. Now all I have to do is test it against that "Mont Blanc in a garbage bag" pen (I think it was a Pilot G2) I read about earlier...

Aditya

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 46
Hey, what pen are you calling a "garbage bag" pen. FYI, the Pilot G2 is the #1 selling roller ball in the USA.

If you want to have fun, try writing with the Space Pen upside down, under water and on oil. They all work. I still prefer roller balls, though.

And, remember, it is NOT what you write WITH, but WHAT you write that matters!

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 46
The Fisher Space Pen even writes through a pad of butter
smily_headphones1.gif
Try it sometime.

I agree with imho, it's what you write that matters. The Fisher Bullet Pens are great though because they have that nice rounded shape that makes them easy to carry around in your pockets without worrying about them damaging the fabric on some rough edge, so they tend to be available when you want to write something. High availability is important for convenient writing.

I prefer fountain pens, but they're kind of fussy and risk leaking when carried in unusual orientations (also on plane flights), whereas my bullet pen doesn't need to be babied and is almost always around.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 46
they have a TON of space pen designs - and i only seem to like about 3 of them

i like writing, so i may take a look at them sometimes - if they are as fast as some of the wet roller-ball pens i use now

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 46
my friend has a pen that lights up.

My other friend has a montblanc.

I have two that I like to stick up my nostrils.....

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 46
I used to have one of those Fisher Space pens. It was pretty awesome but I lost it somewhere
mad.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 46
Jun 7, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
particularly the black titanium nitride

That's what I have
smily_headphones1.gif
For convenience and whatnot I love it, but I'm actually unimpressed with it otherwise. I have freebie $0.50 pens from conferences that write more smoothly. The ink is kinda tacky, which is probably needed for the underwater features, but not necessary 99.9% of the time. I mean, when will I need to write on wet, oily paper while upside-down? Maybe I'll get a finer point refill and see if that helps.

--Illah

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 46
I bought a Fisher to keep in my car. They are also good at very low temperatures. Works fine in February.

I got tired of scribbling with frozen stick pens, trying to get them going again.

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
FYI, the Pilot G2 is the #1 selling roller ball in the USA.

I love using the Pilot G2 pen... The ink is so nice, very easy to write with, I need to buy more (been using crappy BiC ballpoint pens...)

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 46
I think any good pen is a worthwhile investment. This way, you're forced to take care of it, and probably end up saving money from no longer having to replace cheap pens all the time. I've had three Cross pens and a Quill, all of which have stayed with me for more than five years. May be expensive up front, but they pay for themselves with time!

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 46
I've got one of the bullet pens, too, and like it quite a bit. I usually toss it in my car or luggage as a backup, or whenever I'm doing construction or work in the shop. They're pretty handy for writing on drywall, marking wood, metal, etc., too.

I still carry a fountain at the office, though, and use them for any lengthy amount of writing.

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 46
Boy those things are old. I got a black Fisher bullet pen years ago as soon as they started selling them. I sent off to the US to buy mine when I was back in England. Cost a small fortune back then but hey, at least I had the coolest pen in the world... and beyond
wink.gif

They must have improved over the years as mine was complete ass as a writing instrument. Any 10 cent Bic Biro worked better for writing with. I never did get around to writing upside-down, under water or through butter with it.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back