Yang's Little Dot II
May 10, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
Hey guys, what is his prefered shipping method? Has he ever used FedEx or UPS with any of you?

I would assume tnt or dhl?

May 10, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Well, I smell something quite different in my imagination.
I don't wanna be the party pooper, but some of you guys seem to know even less about tube amps than me.
Tubes have to be periodically biased, especially at the beginning of their lifetime and I doubt that at this price level there are autobiasing curcuits involved.Are you ready to maintain the amp?
What about safety curcuits/construction.
In case of failure a cheap and unsafe tubeamp could easily fry your $500 headphones.Or your cat.or in worst case you.
How does this smell?
very_evil_smiley.gif

well, I think a lot of amps are not autobiasing, even the us manufactured ones. If they are I think the price would be significantly higher? like maybe past $1k?

If you no of an affordable autobiasing amp, let us know.

but if you buy matched tubes, wouldnt that be fine? and to allow the amp to be unbiased to the point of damaging the transformer, the tubes would have very drastic power draws, no?

but IMO an amp similar to the little dot assembled in the US would most likely cost hundreds. We need a tube expert to get one of these and review it.

My chinese t-200 amp is great, after swapping the tubes, fixing the dirty pot. It sounds excellent. it cost me $290 or so shipped, but I spent a about $200 more on tubes :p

May 11, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc
Wow. I just swapped around the drive tubes only this time (rather than both) and what a difference it makes! The chiseled hard sounding midrange is now a lot more fluid and smooth sounding, and I no longer feel the highs are as dominating or the midrange as artificial or peircing. Man, i'm glade it wasn't the amp, the tubes I can replace heh
icon10.gif

cmanc, ever think about changing the stock tube to a better one?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I wonder what tube would suit the amp?

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #51 of 54
i got one too from China too, cost me about $70 AUD approximately!
lambda.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryg
i got one too from China too, cost me about $70 AUD approximately!
lambda.gif

Holy mother of old thread revivals!

Was fun to read old initial opinions on the LD2.

Jul 24, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #53 of 54
It is my first tube amp, in fact, my first headphone amp period. I purchased it with the hope of adding a little more life to MP3s off my iPod. You see, I got tired of having to sort through my collection of 500+ & growing CDs through my 300 discs player. You can see the obvious problem. So, I took a chance and ripped every CD that wasn't already (about 300) to MP3 320kbs/48,000 sample to get my music more organized and shrink my huge entertainment system. Anybody who says that a 128 or 192kbs MP3 is equal to CD quality has never heard a comparision between them through high quality headphones (high quality for me is AKG 271S, Shure E4c, UE Super Fis, and few more). At anyrate, I had hoped that the tube amp would improve the sound of the MP3's through my ipod, despite several things I read to the contrary. Read a few things that supported my idea too. At anyrate, the Little Dot 2 drastically improved the MP3s to the point I'm kicking myself for not getting the pre amp version. I did a blind test on my fellow audiophile with a 30mm Audio Technica between my Sony amp, the tube amp, and just the ipod. In three test, each time he identified the tube amp as having the best overall sound. The fact that it is not UL does concern me a little, but if you treat it like a burning cigarette, I think you'd be fine
wink.gif
. My next thought/research will be finding better tubes, as it seems those can make or break the sound from a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back