Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Jan 5, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #1,231 of 1,351
The HD 800's are truly fantastic phones partnered with a Yammy, my mate has got HD 800's, on his Yammy and it is heaven, cannot comment with regard to Stax, never heard any. Me, I am trying very hard to save for a pair of HD 800's ...

Enjoy!!

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #1,232 of 1,351
Oh good good. I'm not looking for the be-all-and-end-all of HD800 amps (simply because I think ultimately STAX is the way to go for my tastes, I'm looking for a super smooth, effortless sound). But the HD800, being high impedance, I just didn't want them to sound anemic. I can understand if the HD800 don't have that last bit of exstention in the bass on the yammy (we love its mid range) but I don't want them to be underpowered. Sounds like I will be okay. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #1,234 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Question: Whats the most expansive soundstage anyone's been able to wring out of the yammy? And with which phones? My AD2000s are sounding a bit claustrophobic these days.

If you phat mod your AD2000s you'll get more soundstage, but I didnt like it with my w5000... I think soundstage is overrated.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #1,235 of 1,351
No. No mods. I like my AD2000 and am looking for another headphone to compliment them so I change it up when I feel like it. My system has been stable for a while now and I have settled on getting a phone to increase sound stange, more balanced than the awkward sound stage of the AD2000.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #1,237 of 1,351
Quote:

No. No mods. I like my AD2000 and am looking for another headphone to compliment them so I change it up when I feel like it. My system has been stable for a while now and I have settled on getting a phone to increase sound stange, more balanced than the awkward sound stage of the AD2000.

Might be a job for HD800 or T1.
I havn't listened to either .....
You surely have read the sixmoons review of the HD800,
while the editor (Srajan Ebaen) seems to prefer the Trafomatic nowadays

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #1,238 of 1,351
I'm closely looking at getting the T1 sight unseen while moon audio still has the intro offer up. The only thing that worries me is that well Shige-san says the yammy is good up to 600 ohms, he notes the optimal loading is 50 ohms. Saw the 6moons, didn't see the trafomatic but I'm sticking with the yammy for sentimental reasons. Overall I really am happy with it long term. Might get to try the yammy with an HD800 in Feb. I just want a different sound sig sometime. My next upgrade won't be a small step up but a leap.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #1,239 of 1,351
Quote:

I'm closely looking at getting the T1 sight unseen while moon audio still has the intro offer up. The only thing that worries me is that well Shige-san says the yammy is good up to 600 ohms, he notes the optimal loading is 50 ohms. Saw the 6moons, didn't see the trafomatic but I'm sticking with the yammy for sentimental reasons. Overall I really am happy with it long term. Might get to try the yammy with an HD800 in Feb. I just want a different sound sig sometime. My next upgrade won't be a small step up but a leap.

Yes, the Yammy is good for sentimental reasons ....
Maybe I will get the chance to try the Yammy with T1 in February ....

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #1,241 of 1,351
Well, I am not a good reviewer .....
In my chain, with the Monica DAC in front of the Yamamoto, the sound of the GS1k is very smooth from bottom to top. Compared to the HF2 the bass goes deeper, the sound(head)space is much bigger. Every instrument is located at its place. But in opposite to the HF2 the whole presentation is more laid back. There is a welcome warmth coming from a slight emphasis of the top-bass to low-midth region but overall the sound is well balanced over the whole spectrum. The bottleneck of this more "neutral" character (with slight bass emphasis) is that the creme of the Yamamoto, the liquid midrange, is not highlighted as with the RS1. Female voices are nevertheless a pleasure to listen to. Instruments are sounding very natural. Listening to piano music I wish the bass impulses to be faster (even the modified D10 seems to be faster, but not to go as deep with the GS1k - it might be a problem of the USB Monica in the chain, too?).
Taking all together, while having some pleasure with the GS1k and the Yammy, in my sight it is not the ideal combination, best match.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #1,242 of 1,351
Audiogon has a T1 dealer with an intro price as well. By the way, whats a phat mod? Also, I am interested in hearing other opinions regarding yammy HA2/T1 comparisons.
Thanks!

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #1,243 of 1,351
I would get the T1 from a head-fi sponsor if I go for it. I'm looking at it for large scale classical. The GS1k is also a contender. Thanks rhw. The GS1k is also known for it's wide sound stage and might be a better match for the yammy because of its lower impedance. It sounds like you think the GS1k's mid range is slightly veiled? Which would be a shame because I'm so spoiled with the AD2000's wonderful mid range but it's falling flat with an awkward some stage hence the start of a search. Lot of used senn hd800 floating around since the FOTM is winding down.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #1,244 of 1,351
Yes I get the feeling that the top mid range sounds a bit veiled (the lower mid range - lower sax notes - is fine). Maybe the GS1k needs longer burn in (now appr. 200 hours). I remember that the RS1 and HF2 needed much more time. I also can go back to the WE tubes, using Philips NOS now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back