Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Aug 3, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #1,126 of 1,351
The Yamamoto looks simply amazing. It's beautiful.

I only wish I could afford such a luxury
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #1,127 of 1,351
I just got mine in the mail today! Only a month after I placed my order with Venus Hi-Fi so I guess I'm lucky. Haven't had a chance to play with it so my impression will come later
atsmile.gif

EDIT: just a quick observation. I feeds the Yamamoto with musics from the tape outs on my ARC SP16 on my main system. No hum that I could notice so far after warmed up for ~2 hours but I didn't put my phones on when the amp has just cold started so I have no idea if it did at the time. Didn't find any channel unbalance problem with the gain control at about 8-9 o'clock position, the loudest that I could bear. I used the Stereophile Test CD 2 to set it up (i.e. make sure I have the right connections) and I listened to a few tracks on this test CD after I left it on for a couple of hours. All I can say is this amp seems to be a nice match to the ATH-W1000 (yes, Mr. Obvious
smily_headphones1.gif
). I know it is not a fair comparison but listening to musics through the Yamamoto & the W1000 sounds a lot more meaty with nice, tight but deep bass compare to using the headphone jack on my LINN Classic Musik. Mid-range is really seductive, smooth and rich. It is also pretty airy with a nice "soundscape". Will post my impression later on after I have listened to it a bit more later on.

Aug 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #1,128 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadESL63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine in the mail today! Only a month after I placed my order with Venus Hi-Fi so I guess I'm lucky. Haven't had a chance to play with it so my impression will come later
atsmile.gif

Note that that big smile will only grow for you.

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #1,129 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that that big smile will only grow for you.

I know beauty is only skin deep but it makes me smile just by looking at it
tongue.gif
It is a big contrast to my rather spartan ARC gears in look and feel. May be I should switch to Jadis (almost non-existence in Canada)? The single ended Yamamoto Sound Craft amps are just not for my electrostatics
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #1,130 of 1,351
Just wondering if anyone has a Yamamoto HA-02 with a stepped attenuator? Also, if anyone has heard the combination with the Sony SA-5000's? I've read someone's comments earlier in this thread, but would actually like to know if someone has first hand knowledge of the sound. Somehow, I thought it might be a rather good synergistic combo.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #1,131 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUMIERE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering if anyone has a Yamamoto HA-02 with a stepped attenuator? Also, if anyone has heard the combination with the Sony SA-5000's? I've read someone's comments earlier in this thread, but would actually like to know if someone has first hand knowledge of the sound. Somehow, I thought it might be a rather good synergistic combo.

Hope this help: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/yam...ml#post4195393

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #1,132 of 1,351
Thanks for the reply, but I already read that. I'm looking for info about anyone who actually has listened to this combo. Not, theoretically.
Actual use and experience. I'm thinking of possibly purchasing a Yamamoto HA-02 in the near future!

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #1,133 of 1,351
Quote:

tongue.gif
It is a big contrast to my rather spartan ARC gears in look and feel. May be I should switch to Jadis (almost non-existence in Canada)? The single ended Yamamoto Sound Craft amps are just not for my electrostatics
wink.gif

I am not sure I am understanding this post. You are using you HA-02 to drive a transformer box for your electrostatics using it's speaker outs? The HA-02 has such a low voltage output that I would think this not a good match. I am using it with my UE9 with great success. My electrostatics have their own amps, the KGSS and T1S.

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #1,134 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure I am understanding this post. You are using you HA-02 to drive a transformer box for your electrostatics using it's speaker outs? The HA-02 has such a low voltage output that I would think this not a good match. I am using it with my UE9 with great success. My electrostatics have their own amps, the KGSS and T1S.

Oh no, I mean the HA-02 looks way better than my pre-power amps that I should have traded for something else that look comparable
biggrin.gif
Too bad the rest of the Yamamoto line don't have something that could drive my electrostatic speakers so I will have to get something else
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #1,135 of 1,351
Hello european Yamamoto HA-02 owners,
is anyone bored of his sweet looking HA-02 headphone amp and wants to sell it?
gs1000.gif

Are there any comparable SET headphone amps on the market?

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #1,136 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you try it again, maybe with a few different songs from various artists? I'm quite surprised by this because I have the w5000 and with the Yammy they sound awesome. If the 701 sound way better then I might have to check them out! ho nooooo!
biggrin.gif

All i meant was that the 701's sound fine to me with the Yammy, and when i swap phones so quickly it takes time for my ears to adjust. The W5000's are a much better match IMO. But, like SLwiser, i have since sold my w5000's and have some Edition 9's. Incredible synergy with UE9's, can't get enough!!! Sounding better every day, incredible stuff.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #1,137 of 1,351
Quad,

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadESL63
tongue.gif
It is a big contrast to my rather spartan ARC gears in look and feel.

[size=small]I think you've so simply touched on why there's so much love for the Yammy. You're expressing, from a different angle, what Wower commented on with respect to Yamamoto San imbuing his products with the look, feel, and performance of a bespoke piece.[/size]

[size=small]When the “show” matches the “go”, it reassures you that your money has been well spent. In fact, I don’t think I’ve yet seen anyone comment that the Yammy wasn’t worth its asking price . . . quite remarkable at nearly USD 1K.[/size]

[size=small]Enjoy your new kit.[/size]

[size=small]Cheers,[/size]
[size=small]Garry[/size]

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #1,138 of 1,351
I actually got shige-san on the phone yesterday. I was organizing getting the unit shipped down to Hyogo prefecture before I return to Canada to have the voltage switched over. (No way I'm going to risk plugging that thing into a Canadian socket!) I was too shy to ask about possible upgrades. I felt bad for catching him at work on a holiday (obon season here). Did you know only 3 people work for the company? His wife, another friend, and himself.

For those interested the procedure is 11,000 yen plus shipping.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #1,139 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually got shige-san on the phone yesterday. I was organizing getting the unit shipped down to Hyogo prefecture before I return to Canada to have the voltage switched over. (No way I'm going to risk plugging that thing into a Canadian socket!) I was too shy to ask about possible upgrades. I felt bad for catching him at work on a holiday (obon season here). Did you know only 3 people work for the company? His wife, another friend, and himself.

For those interested the procedure is 11,000 yen plus shipping.

Japanese voltage is 100V and we get 110V here... I guess it is money well spend to avoid possible damage to the power supply/R-Core transformer?

BTW, I think I have read it (here or somewhere) earlier that when Brian of Venus HiFi suggested a very minor change to this Yamamoto it was rejected, politely but firmly, by Yamamoto san. So, it doesn't hurt to ask but he will probably say no, may be?

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #1,140 of 1,351
Quote:

BTW, I think I have read it (here or somewhere) earlier that when Brian of Venus HiFi suggested a very minor change to this Yamamoto it was rejected, politely but firmly, by Yamamoto san. So, it doesn't hurt to ask but he will probably say no, may be?

What minor change did he suggest? The PS change? I had shige-san on the phone and he said he would do it, we set a price and we set a date. That's as firm a "yes" as I can think.

There is constant debate on forums weather a voltage change from 100V to 120V is going to hurt anything. 120V to 220V will fry things but those EE types on head-fi have only said these voltage changes might wear down parts quicker. My opinion, and how I am determined to approach the risk, is when I have a rare, sensitive, delicate piece of electronic equipment that's hard to replace I'll pay the extra to put it in good hands. I'm bring a Japanese Marantz CDP home with me too and I'm not doing anything for that PS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back