Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Jun 6, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #1,096 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all

It is good to see a happy chappy with the same gear as myself ( HA-02 & W5000) there is a good chance my source iand cables are different.

I am very happy with my setup, I admit I have not herd any other setups, may be that is the secret with the upgrade bug not hearing other equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

One day I will be tempted to hear the HA-02 with the UE9s

UE9's will probably be my next phones......MMMM, see, I'm thinking about upgrading already and it's been two days. This has to stop. Seriously though, I don't think about upgrading now when i'm listening to music, upgrading will be more of a CHANGE than anything, I'm liking what I hear.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #1,097 of 1,351
Dito

I am liking what im hearing also, and am in no hurry to upgrade ( stutter- cough )

Beside that Im not arich man

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #1,098 of 1,351
Thought i'd give my 2 cents on 701's with the yammy (for people who are interested). I listened to a CD i've heard 100's of times on different phones with different amps, which is a rock/pop album with twin electric guitars, one left and one right. I heard details in the guitars i've never heard before! The yammy separated the guitars very well, and i had my first ever 'amp disappearing' experience. All I heard was the CD, everything else disappeared. Great! I love these phones so much more now after this and they may become my favourite. I then tried the w5000 and they were almost blurry in comparison, but perhaps i shouldn't swap phones so quickly. Anyway 701 + yammy = great IMO. Must be the tubes.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #1,099 of 1,351
I have been experimenting with a few things that have worked out well for me and the Yamamoto amp.

I recently moved the amp's plug to a dedicated line - my office happened to have a plug on a different fuse than the rest of the house so I installed a PS Audio outlet there and moved some stuff around. I combined that new spot with an IeGO power cable and the changes have made what seems to be a pretty significant difference. There is more detail and a wider soundstage - the differences are surprisingly significant.

I was very skeptical that power lines/plugs/cables would make any difference so I am happily surprised.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #1,100 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by braddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I then tried the w5000 and they were almost blurry in comparison, but perhaps i shouldn't swap phones so quickly.

Can you try it again, maybe with a few different songs from various artists? I'm quite surprised by this because I have the w5000 and with the Yammy they sound awesome. If the 701 sound way better then I might have to check them out! ho nooooo!
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #1,102 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphone has the absolutely best synergy with the HA-02?

I might be starting all over and the Yamamoto is probably the only amp I really want to try.

Mitch

I would say my Ultrasone Edition 9 has to be one of the best. I would never say it was the best 'cause I have not heard everything out of it.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #1,103 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Come on? You're having us on right? Your question is unanswerable. You have +5000 posts and you use the words "absolutely best" in your post? I'll cut you some slack - today - because I respect the post count (and perfer to think someone else might be using your account). You have the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if you asked the maker, Shige-san would probably say AT phones match his amp the best.

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #1,104 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you try it again, maybe with a few different songs from various artists? I'm quite surprised by this because I have the w5000 and with the Yammy they sound awesome. If the 701 sound way better then I might have to check them out! ho nooooo!
biggrin.gif

How about some more impressions of your HA-02 and W5000?

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #1,105 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about some more impressions of your HA-02 and W5000?

Very positive! Since you sent me this amp I've been listening to music almost every night before going to sleep which is something I've never done so frequently before. I've also stopped thinking about what I like or don't like about the sound coming out of my kit which is also a first!

In my opinion, the combination W5000 HA-02 sounds neutral and true to the source. It's a tube setup that doesn't sound tubey but has some of the characteristics of tubes, specially being very non aggressive in the highs. It has an incredible amount of details without presenting them in an aggressive way. Voices are sweet but not overly syrupy like some tube setup I've heard before. Bass is right on, I don't feel it is amplified more then what is on the recording so some recordings sound like they could use a bass boost while others have deep bass. I was expecting this amp to sound great but "colored", it is not the case with the W5000 in my opinion. It might be different with other phones though. I've tried many combinations of phone-amp and in my opinion synergy is the most important factor many people don't take enough into consideration. When someone describes an amp as being the next best thing after (or before) sex
eek.gif
, then it may well be true with the phones he is using but not true at all with the ones I am using!

As for tube rolling, up to now I've tried three different set of tubes. The original WE508A, a set of Northern Electric and a set of Sylvania gold pin. There is quite a difference between each and with the W5000, clearly the original Western Electric are the winner. The Northern Electric are close sounding to the Western Electric, they provide a tiny bit more details but at the expense of a tiny bit of bass. The Sylvania gold pin provide a relatively different sound signature that doesn't match well with the W5000, it sounds quite a bit more aggressive in the mids and highs. I suspect this tube would probably sound great with something like the Senn 650.

So as you said Steve, I'm pretty sure Mr.Yamamoto must have designed this little amp with AudioTechnica phones and Western Electric tubes. However by using different tubes, it can probably sound great with many different phones. I've never heard the Edition 9, for now I'm very satisfied with my setup so I'm not too tempted to upgrade but who knows, maybe when Christmas comes I'll be in search of a sweet gift and those phones will come to mind!
biggrin.gif

By the way, if any HA-02 owner would like to try the Sylvania Gold Pin tubes, I can sell a pair since I had to buy a lot of 5 on ebay and while I have my W5000 I wont be using them. Something like $10 for a pair plus shipping, just send me a PM if interested. And if someone has other tubes then the ones I've tried up to now, I'm interested in trades or buy.

Cheers.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #1,106 of 1,351
Can the Yamamoto amp drive AKG 340 headphones? I currently have the Edition 9, HD650 and K340 cans. I'm looking for a second tube amp for a 2nd system. I have the Raptor, it does very well with all three. I think the Yamamoto will have more of warm and tubey sound which will complement the Raptor's fast and dynamic sound.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #1,107 of 1,351
Well, all the phones I have tried with the Yamamoto HA-02, I have enjoyed, Senn 580/600/650 W1000's and W5000's ...

The phones I enjoyed most where the Senn580's and the W5000's, but to be very honest, there was not a heck of a difference, so that one could say these are all good, and those are bad, they are all good phones, and they sound very good, just having a slightly different presentation.

My friend who bought a Yamamoto HA-02 with me, on the other hand prefers the Senn 600's and the W1000's, by a small margin ... , so my guess is that it is a matter of taste, which is best.

Really wouldn't mind hearing the SE 9's, tho they be a little beyond my budget ...

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #1,108 of 1,351
After a year and a half of ownership I still think that the W1000s are the best match for me. However the AD2000s come very very close and for some music have a slight advantage.
There's nothing wrong with RS1s via the Yamamoto either.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #1,109 of 1,351
"There's nothing wrong with RS1s via the Yamamoto either."

Now we're talking. I love the RS-1's.

Are the W1000's still available commercially?

OK how about 2 headphones which complement each other with the Yamamoto HA-02?

I personally probably like the journey more than the destination so I’m starting over.

Mitch

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #1,110 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brailledriver

I might be starting all over and the Yamamoto is probably the only amp I really want to try.

Mitch,

I'm with Tuatara - to me the W1Ks are just perfect with the Yammy. I've said it before, if I had to give up all my head-fi / high-fi, I could live with the Yammy / W1K combo and be happy. The W5Ks are sweet as well, but, to my ears, do not have the overall balance that their little brother exhibits with the Yammy.

Starting over with these in mind should keep you happy for a long time.

Cheers,
Garry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back