Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
May 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #1,066 of 1,351
RE: Open headphones, my HD650s sound better on this amp (to me) than they do on my SS amp. They achieved a wider sound stage and a "richer" sound. That said, my closed cans (W1000) have been plugged in almost the whole time that I have used the amp. Maybe I am getting more used to the Yamamoto-W1000 sound but they have really come to life - good bass, great sound stage - very immersive and convincing.

For example, the new Radiohead album - In Rainbows - has some rich, bass heavy sections. The W1000 on my SS amp did not really work for this album - the bass was too thin and the "sparkle" of their sound effects were muted. I listened to it yesterday on the Yamamoto amp and was very pleased with the overall sound -deep kicking bass, very wide soundstage and lots of "sparkle". I didn't try my 650s yesterday but in the past they have really done well on this kind of music on the SS amp - I suspect that they will still be great (maybe better) on the tube amp.

These are just extremely preliminary impressions - the amp is not burned in yet and either the amp is improving or my ear/head combo is getting more used to the sound because it started out really good and is improving.

I am really curious to try the AD2000s, I like open cans and they are on my short list to purchase/try as soon as I feel like I am ready to digest another variable
wink.gif

May 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #1,067 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cryo'ed tubes...first note concerning these...so far I would not recommend the pair that I got to anyone. The first pair that I am listening too have some pops every once in a while almost a static sound but very short in duration. I am hoping this will even out after a while so I will update more later.

I have left the HA-02 own since I posted and this issues has stop being a problem for me. I can't say the sound is much better since both of my setups are a little different but if I can conclude anything the sound may be a bit more open and wider than before.

May 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #1,068 of 1,351
Please excuse me if I've missed any posts on this topic, but..........

Does anyone have any comments on how the Yammy does with Denon D5000 headphones?

Thanks!!

May 19, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #1,069 of 1,351
I briefly tried the Denon D5000 with the Yamamoto and to be honest I'm having trouble remembering much about it other than the bass was quite emphasised.

I don't think it did that much for them to be honest, but that's just IMO.

May 27, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #1,070 of 1,351
is there still a waiting list for ordering this amp?

May 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #1,071 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there still a waiting list for ordering this amp?

I'm on week 11!

May 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #1,072 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon_john /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on week 11!

and that would be in which month?

May 29, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #1,073 of 1,351
WOW, guess I'll have the blue one!

May 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #1,074 of 1,351
For the first time I have the cryo'ed tubes and the HiFi fuse installed. I am also using the IeGO power cables on both the Lavry and Yamamoto. Without a doubt these things do make a difference I think the fuse more than the tubes. Everyone get one of these fuses.

The sound is so pure to me....I have used all my superlatives for previous evaluations therefore I have none left but this is better than I have ever heard out of the Lavry DA10, Yamamoto HA-02 and UE9.

May 31, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #1,075 of 1,351
Thanks to slwiser-mamoto I'll soon join the HA-02 club!
icon10.gif

May 31, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #1,076 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to slwiser-mamoto I'll soon join the HA-02 club!
icon10.gif

Enjoy the music....and the Yamamoto HA-02 will certainly allow your Audio Technica headphones to shine.

May 31, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #1,077 of 1,351
Yeah thanks! That and the PC will be the first things I will order when it comes.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #1,080 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slwiser man, modding your yammy, taking it to the next level, how cool. Do you have a link for those hifi fuses? Also, did you do the install yourself? Difficulty?

I got my fuses here: PS Audio - Accessories - Critical Link 800mA Amp slow blow 5x20.

I really don't consider this modding at all. It is just getting some components that may compliment the base unit and optimize the sound. The Power Cord as a minimum should be the base IeGo. The fuse as I noted. The tubes can be anything and it will sound beautiful. The cryo'ed ones I can't say it I noticed any difference, maybe some more width, I just don't know.

The fuse change out is easy. I unplugged the power cord. Look at the black element which the cord plugs into. Just below the cord plug you will see a indentation indicating the fuse and a very small clip that engages the fuse holder. I took a small flat head screw driver and pried with just a smallest amount of leverage and the clip holding the fuse will come loose. It will release and you then just put out the fuse holder. You will find a second backup in the holder as I did sort of enclosed. I just took the one that is in the open and replaced it with the new fuse.

I also used DeoxIT-Gold on the tube pins and fuse ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back