Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Jan 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,336 of 1,351
Another possible causes of the problem is voltage mis-match.  I purchased a 220V HA-02 in Australia, and found that it hum and click after running for a while.  We talked to Yamamoto about it and they said the amp have to be reset to 240V (which is the Australian local voltage). 
I endup returning the amp to the place of purchase.  But according to the information send to the local shop, it is a matter of changing the tapping of the power transformer so while you need to open the amp, it should be relatively easily to fix.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,337 of 1,351
Thanks for the suggestion. The amp was purchased a couple of months ago from a German distributor so the device was meant to be used in Europe at 230V, which includes the UK. I hope the manufacturer would set the voltage appropriately (?)

The fact that the delayed hum shifted from one channel to another when I switched the tubes round indicated a faulty tube. There is no hum or buzz whatsoever with the Philips JAN tubes and the amp is virtually silent, even after prolonged use.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,338 of 1,351
Anyone has the dimension of this amp??
Tried searching in the website but cant seem to find it.
going to loan this unit from friend and just wondering whether it fit my now very cluster desktop.

thanks in advance

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,340 of 1,351
Has anyone tried this tube?

"PHILIPS MINIWATT TS62 / 6028 / 408A  The TS stands for "Telefonica Serie"..... Made for telephone networks in Europe.... These are durable, low noise, long life tubes and have silver plate with gold internal wiring and pins....."

http://www.nostubestore.com/search/label/6028%2F408A%2FTS62

The build quality looks amazing, and of course, durability, low noise and long life are very desirable features as well. But I wonder how they sound?

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,344 of 1,351
Despite this thread being rather old, the Yamamoto Amp remains very very good.

I loaded WIN 10, and Jriver MC, on a computer for my old friend nearly 70 years old.

Like me he has a Yamamoto HA 02 headphone amp.

To test that his newly acquired TeddyPardo DAC ( second hand ) worked, I set it up as follows:

TeddyPardo DAC, Genesis Triton interconnect, to Yamamoto, with Audio Technica ATH W1000 headphones.

Played Deep Purple, Made In Japan, and it sounded awesome, believablely "there" performance. Closest I have come to headphone heaven. Did not have time to listen to his HD 600, or HD 800 headphones.

The files where 24-96 flac files from HDTRACKS.

I seriously want a pair of Audio Technica Woodies and a very much better DAC.

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #1,345 of 1,351
Despite this thread being rather old, the Yamamoto Amp remains very very good.

I loaded WIN 10, and Jriver MC, on a computer for my old friend nearly 70 years old.

Like me he has a Yamamoto HA 02 headphone amp.

To test that his newly acquired TeddyPardo DAC ( second hand ) worked, I set it up as follows:

TeddyPardo DAC, Genesis Triton interconnect, to Yamamoto, with Audio Technica ATH W1000 headphones.

Played Deep Purple, Made In Japan, and it sounded awesome, believablely "there" performance. Closest I have come to headphone heaven. Did not have time to listen to his HD 600, or HD 800 headphones.

The files where 24-96 flac files from HDTRACKS.

I seriously want a pair of Audio Technica Woodies and a very much better DAC.

I own the combo, with the right tubes it does have quite a synergy with AT woodies. Who knows, maybe Mr. Yamamoto designed this amp using mostly AT woodies.

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #1,346 of 1,351
The Yammy doesn't play well with high-impedance headphones if my experience with the Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6xx and Beyer T1 gen1 is anything to go by. There is sufficient volume but there's basically like no weight (ie. bass) to the sound.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #1,347 of 1,351
I own the combo, with the right tubes it does have quite a synergy with AT woodies. Who knows, maybe Mr. Yamamoto designed this amp using mostly AT woodies.

Could be, but the DAC is a big step up from his CD player, and the Woodies did not stay behind. They stepped up and delivered, way beyond my expectations.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #1,349 of 1,351
Always thought this was a wonderful amp more or less designed around the ATH-W1000, but if you really want to have the full "night time affair experience", try Focal's Clear HP with it. Upgraded my pair Clears with a Cardas Clear and tried them out of suspicion on my old Yammy. Guess what, this combination is off the charts! I would never have expected it- even compared with my pair of ATH-W1000 woodies, Focal's Clear makes such a good match. Really sublime combination to my ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back