Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,531 of 1,553
There's a notch on the rim of the original connector that helps keep it in place if I remember correctly. That's probably why the stock one feels more secure.
Ah I see! Makes sense. I will try a normal/narrow 3,5mm connector and see if that works as well. My fear is that the weight of the cable will not allow the 3,5 connector to stay in place. But let's see.

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #1,532 of 1,553
There's a notch on the rim of the original connector that helps keep it in place if I remember correctly. That's probably why the stock one feels more secure.
1707813271230.png

This is the issue. The "bottom plate" of the connector prevents the "normal" 3.5mm connectors to fit in as deep as the origianl Yamaha connector.

Maybe such a connector would work:

1707813460092.png

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,533 of 1,553
So I'm borrowing a set of YH5k from a buddy of mine and I've got some thoughts. I absolutely LOVE the look of these headphones, they are by far the best looking headphone I have seen to date. Thats kinda where these headphones shine and really only where they shine. The Sound of these headphones stock is just kinda weak. There's very little decay which feels very natural. The only part of the sound i can really compliment is the bass is nice and punchy and the attack of these headphones are pretty on point. The tonality of these headphones is just poor. I took the liberty of measuring the FR of these headphones as a launching point for trying to fix the sound to something more pallet-able.
graph(23).png
20240216_184629.jpg

Out of the box they aren't so bad that they aren't unlistenable I just want to be clear on that,
they just aren't impressive like a $5k headphone should sound.

I tried every pad I have at my disposal with very little luck fixing the upper mids with exception to one set...
my Grado G pads XD.

A little unorthodox but the clamp of the YH5k is enough to keep them in place when on my head.

That mixed with a little front damping using micropore tape lead to suprisingly great results.

graph(45).png

If you have micropore tape and some G pads I highly recommend you try this out. My problems with the decay havent been fixed by this but the tonality is WAY better now imo.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #1,534 of 1,553
So I'm borrowing a set of YH5k from a buddy of mine and I've got some thoughts. I absolutely LOVE the look of these headphones, they are by far the best looking headphone I have seen to date. Thats kinda where these headphones shine and really only where they shine. The Sound of these headphones stock is just kinda weak. There's very little decay which feels very natural. The only part of the sound i can really compliment is the bass is nice and punchy and the attack of these headphones are pretty on point. The tonality of these headphones is just poor. I took the liberty of measuring the FR of these headphones as a launching point for trying to fix the sound to something more pallet-able.graph(23).png20240216_184629.jpg
Out of the box they aren't so bad that they aren't unlistenable I just want to be clear on that,
they just aren't impressive like a $5k headphone should sound.

I tried every pad I have at my disposal with very little luck fixing the upper mids with exception to one set...
my Grado G pads XD.

A little unorthodox but the clamp of the YH5k is enough to keep them in place when on my head.

That mixed with a little front damping using micropore tape lead to suprisingly great results.

graph(45).png

If you have micropore tape and some G pads I highly recommend you try this out. My problems with the decay havent been fixed by this but the tonality is WAY better now imo.
Thank you for sharing this! Could you provide more details on the pads, including how to attach them, and the specific type of micropore you used?

Regarding your comments on the sound quality, I understand your initial impression of the unusual tonality, which aligns with many reviews I've read. Interestingly, my experience diverges from the norm in that, whereas I typically find myself growing bored with the harmanish tonality of headphones over time—leading to their eventual sale—this particular set has had the opposite effect on me. After brain burn-in, I find them to be exceptionally lively, naturally balanced, and highly detailed, all without losing their charm over extended listening sessions. While I haven't had them for very long, this experience stands in contrast to that with other headphones I've previously owned. And I am very curious to see how this will evolve furter.

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,535 of 1,553
Something that is not directly oriented to YH-5000SE.
But it is generally how people react and experience the same thing differently.

I was lurking at IEMs a few days ago, and what I read made me laugh.
Two reviews on Head-Fi about the same IEMs.

The first one I read was commented as "con"; it's almost non-existent sub-bass. Hmm, I said that's a problem.

But then, another review below, another reviewer's "pro" was...amazing, huge sub-bass :)))

Graphs, measurements, etc., are good directions when lurking and searching,
but once you have tried them, they're completely your personal thing.

Two people can have two completely different experiences from the same thing (headphones).
And that's the only thing that matters.

I have always greatly appreciated uniqueness, whether the design or the sound.

If that means a not "perfect" sound, that's fine with me; I will always choose that rather than perfect but already seen (heard).

Cheers!

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,537 of 1,553
Thank you for sharing this! Could you provide more details on the pads, including how to attach them, and the specific type of micropore you used?

Regarding your comments on the sound quality, I understand your initial impression of the unusual tonality, which aligns with many reviews I've read. Interestingly, my experience diverges from the norm in that, whereas I typically find myself growing bored with the harmanish tonality of headphones over time—leading to their eventual sale—this particular set has had the opposite effect on me. After brain burn-in, I find them to be exceptionally lively, naturally balanced, and highly detailed, all without losing their charm over extended listening sessions. While I haven't had them for very long, this experience stands in contrast to that with other headphones I've previously owned. And I am very curious to see how this will evolve furter.
The pads arent currently mounted they're just held against my head and my rig with the clamp of the headphones themselves, I'll work on a more graceful mount later. I tried both vever and geekria G pads with the same result on both and its a 3inch roll of 3M micropore tape. And yeah personal HRTF will play a big factor in whether or not someone enjoys the sound of these stock. I tend to switch between normal headphones and my prototype headphones a few times a day so having a close to diffuse field tuning is ideal for me, I dont spent enough time with any single unit for my brain to properly burn in to their sound.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #1,538 of 1,553
Something that is not directly oriented to YH-5000SE.
But it is generally how people react and experience the same thing differently.

I was lurking at IEMs a few days ago, and what I read made me laugh.
Two reviews on Head-Fi about the same IEMs.

The first one I read was commented as "con"; it's almost non-existent sub-bass. Hmm, I said that's a problem.

But then, another review below, another reviewer's "pro" was...amazing, huge sub-bass :)))

Graphs, measurements, etc., are good directions when lurking and searching,
but once you have tried them, they're completely your personal thing.

Two people can have two completely different experiences from the same thing (headphones).
And that's the only thing that matters.

I have always greatly appreciated uniqueness, whether the design or the sound.

If that means a not "perfect" sound, that's fine with me; I will always choose that rather than perfect but already seen (heard).

Cheers!
If you had mentioned Sony IER-Z1R you would be barking up the tree I fell out of. Some say great bass and I fell for it chasing the bass which, in my opinion, they lack. Very expensive mistake to purchase... There are widely opposing opinions on HD820... I gambled on them as well and they are winners, for me. I couldn't audition either of those pre purchase but I did get to audition the Yamahas. Graphs aside, I enjoyed the sound and plan to purchase a set. Your comments are spot on. Looking forward to more comments here, especially following CanJam in NYC. Hope that someone pairs the phones with a production version of the new amp at that show. Our differences push this hobby ahead.

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #1,542 of 1,553
New NS5000 demos

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #1,543 of 1,553
Nice nice, after a break how do you feel listening through them again?
Really nice especially with the new amps I've got to play with. The thing that I noticed after switching back to them after using the HD800S primarily was the speed and resolution of the YH-5000SE, it is easily a cut above the HD800S. When listening to the HD800S the details were there but I would have to pay attention and actively look for them whereas the YH-5000SE resolution is good enough that I would constantly notice new details in my tracks even as I'm working. As a matter of fact, what really made the YH-5000SE click back for me was when I was listening to them as I worked as I was less focused on "the vocals sound different from what I think they should sound, or what sounds "right" "

Something to note is during the first week there was a bit of reacclimating that happened as the lower mids would make me think "I wish the mids had a bit more air" because I got used to the HD800S's presentation where vocals were right in the front of the soundstage so it took my brain a few days to reconcile with that difference. But once my brain had a couple days to settle in with the presentation the dip in the mids started to feel less like there was an awkward wackiness to them but it felt like the vocals were just naturally further back in the soundstage.

For me the YH-5000SE does soundstage and layering really well, especially when my brain is sold by the presentation. Since the mids are further back the other instruments are given more forground presence but coupled with the resolution of the YH-5000SE it gives me the feeling that I am surrounded by the sound as the sound cues for instruments in the bass to midrange sound like they originate from a point that's more forward but off to the side of the vocals.

To my ears the presentation of the YH-5000SE sounds something like:
----- midrange
----- instruments
----- /bass
vocalist ----- me
----- midrange
----- instruments
----- /bass

instead of the usual presentation that I'm used to from my other gear:

midrange
instruments
/bass
------------- vocalist me
midrange
instruments
/bass

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #1,544 of 1,553
New NS5000 demos

Was this meant to be shared in this particular thread? 🤔 haha

Either way, great set of speakers. In fact, I actually own the floor-standing version.
IMG_1989.jpeg

When Yamaha takes things seriously, they can put out some amazing gear.

I find myself continually intrigued by the YH-5K, but the polarizing reviews gives me hesitation. :/

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #1,545 of 1,553
Was this meant to be shared in this particular thread? 🤔 haha

Either way, great set of speakers. In fact, I actually own the floor-standing version.

When Yamaha takes things seriously, they can put out some amazing gear.

I find myself continually intrigued by the YH-5K, but the polarizing reviews gives me hesitation. :/

Ya I just do it for fun since its Yamaha and part of the '5000 family'.

But really nice tower you have. Looks beautiful.

I wish Yamaha made a really big version of my speaker maybe with dual 12s per side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back