Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 6, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #1,516 of 1,553
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean when you say 'most of it'. It's simply wrong to suggest the phones don't reproduce all the fundamentals. There's nothing 'missing' in that sense. It may be you prefer the particular balance of lower or higher notes reproduced by particular phones - but that's a very personal thing I think.
As in low sub-bass notes on soundtracks, for example. The furthest ends of the frequency range... Not really sure how much more simple I can make it.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,517 of 1,553
distinguishing between the sound of a kick drum and a bass guitar has never been a challenge for me when listening to the utopia or any other headphone for that matter
Poor choice of words from me. I'm referring to the nuance behind it. The ability to make a clear distinction between the two, almost like imagining the "shape of an instrument."

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #1,519 of 1,553
Poor choice of words from me. I'm referring to the nuance behind it. The ability to make a clear distinction between the two, almost like imagining the "shape of an instrument."
thanks again for the clarification. as i posted previously, it's been a while since i auditioned the yh-5000se and i have not compared it directly with the utopia. but again, i can't relate to your description of the utopia's rendering of kick drum and bass guitar as 'one-note'. acoustic and electric bass and acoustic drums sound like those instruments to me when listening to the utopia. i can appreciate that you prefer the way in which the yh-5000se reproduces the sound of those instruments, however.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #1,520 of 1,553
1707317344367.png

I just recieved my Yamaha YH-5000SE headphones, and I'd like to share my initial impressions.

I was worried about the built quality, as there were negative reports about it. But in my oppinion the build quality is top-notch. They're super light but feel sturdy and premium. Plus, they look amazing.

The cables that come with these headphones are a cut above. 8-wire braided beauties that feels more like a bespoke accessory than something off the shelf. You actually get two of them, one with a 6.5mm connector and another with a 4.4mm connector. I beleive the 6.5mm can switch to a 3.5mm.

You also get two types of ear pads - leather and suede. Swapping them out is a very simple, just a little twist and off they come. You also get a headphone stand to display these beauties when you're not using them.

What about the sound? It's unique, to say the least. The bass is textured, detailed, has actually slight above average quantity. It's leaning more towards the mid-bass than sub-bass. The mids have a peak at 1kHz that really brings out the details, similar to what you'd find with Stax headphones. But then, there's this dip around 2-4 kHz that might take a bit of getting used to. This dip is also probably the part that brings controversy into this headphone. Tonaly it does not sound correct, however I find that you get used to it very fast and it actually does not bother me. However this is just my initial impression, this can probably change in my long-term observations. Despite that, the overall sound is incredibly clear and detailed, with airy highs that never get harsh.

Timbre wise you will not get something very natural like the Susvara. But the timbre is also not as industrial and artificial as the 1266.

Comparing the ear pads, the leather ones tighten up the bass but make that 1kHz peak a bit too much for me. The suede pads, though, they soften that peak and add a nice warmth to the sound. I'm leaning towards the suede for a more "relaxed" listen (it is not a relaxed listening overall).

In short, the Yamaha YH-5000SE offers a sound that's got its very own character, somewhat reminiscent of the 1266 but with its own twist. It might not be the go-to for purists looking for flat, studio-like accuracy, but if you're after headphones that bring personality to your music, these are definitely worth a listen. I'm excited to see how my thoughts evolve the more I use them.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #1,524 of 1,553
1707317344367.png

...It might not be the go-to for purists looking for flat, studio-like accuracy, but if you're after headphones that bring personality to your music, these are definitely worth a listen. I'm excited to see how my thoughts evolve the more I use them.
Auditioned a set of these at the local dealer today. On SE from an MHA200 amp. This was excellent as it is an amp I own (but have upgraded tube wise). My expectations were not high given comments in this thread and others elsewhere. Worth a listen for sure. In my case they will be a future purchase as I was pretty much blown away by the totality of what they offer. Brought my own tracks, tried hard to trip them up, and couldn't. Build quality, features/accessories, and the sound... very competitive. My main comparisons are og Utopia, Stellia, Elear, HD800, HD820. Stock and silver cables. SE and balanced. Looking forward to seeing as to how your thoughts evolve.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,526 of 1,553
YH-5000SE impressions!
YH5000SE is a really interesting headphone, gets a lot right and a lot wrong.
P_20240211_151244.jpg
Build and Comfort-
The build and comfort of the YH5k is exceptional. The suspension strap combined with the general lightweightness of the rest of the headphone due to it's use of very high quality materials like magnesium means I can wear this headphone all day. And because they used such high quality materials it really feels like this headphone was designed to last. It feels solid everywhere and is extremely confidence inspiring to hold and use. I can't say that much about the cable as it's really horrible. It's noisy, too long, too thick, and all around the worst stock cable I've used since the hifiman catheter days, brutal. Overall however I really can't say too much is wrong with the build of this, it gets everything here almost exactly right. This is infuriating.

The Sound-
This is what I imagine the very first iteration of this headphone sounded like. They got it to make noise and figured this was enough for it to sell. The tuning of the headphone is all over the place with massive peaks and valleys everywhere. Technically the headphone doesn't really excel at anything, the dynamic range feels pretty small, the soundstage is no more than fine, there is little to no slam, and it's not particularly detailed. The one thing it does somewhat right is that it has good macro contrast on the attack of plucked strings. Plucked strings hit you in a way that no other headphone really does and I find that very pleasing, until the decay just doesn't happen at all and it sounds like that string was plucked and then removed from the mix entirely. Overall exceedingly disappointing. It sounds bad even for podcasts.

The Conclusion
-
I really wish this headphone was even a little bit good because I can put up with a really mediocre sounding headphone if it's truly comfortable but this sounds so abysmal that using it just makes me mad. I really don't understand how Yamaha got this so right in the 80s and now that we have great measurement systems and tons of research available waffled into making maybe the worst headphone I've heard over 20 bucks. Tragic

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,527 of 1,553
Does anyone uses an after market cables for the yammy? I want to build a custom one. I see that the 3.5 connectors must be a bit more narrow than normal ones, however when I plugged in a 3.5 connector to the headphone it snapped, but felt a bit less secure than the stock one.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #1,528 of 1,553

I just recieved my Yamaha YH-5000SE headphones, and I'd like to share my initial impressions.

I was worried about the built quality, as there were negative reports about it. But in my oppinion the build quality is top-notch. They're super light but feel sturdy and premium. Plus, they look amazing.

The cables that come with these headphones are a cut above. 8-wire braided beauties that feels more like a bespoke accessory than something off the shelf. You actually get two of them, one with a 6.5mm connector and another with a 4.4mm connector. I beleive the 6.5mm can switch to a 3.5mm.

You also get two types of ear pads - leather and suede. Swapping them out is a very simple, just a little twist and off they come. You also get a headphone stand to display these beauties when you're not using them.

What about the sound? It's unique, to say the least. The bass is textured, detailed, has actually slight above average quantity. It's leaning more towards the mid-bass than sub-bass. The mids have a peak at 1kHz that really brings out the details, similar to what you'd find with Stax headphones. But then, there's this dip around 2-4 kHz that might take a bit of getting used to. This dip is also probably the part that brings controversy into this headphone. Tonaly it does not sound correct, however I find that you get used to it very fast and it actually does not bother me. However this is just my initial impression, this can probably change in my long-term observations. Despite that, the overall sound is incredibly clear and detailed, with airy highs that never get harsh.

Timbre wise you will not get something very natural like the Susvara. But the timbre is also not as industrial and artificial as the 1266.

Comparing the ear pads, the leather ones tighten up the bass but make that 1kHz peak a bit too much for me. The suede pads, though, they soften that peak and add a nice warmth to the sound. I'm leaning towards the suede for a more "relaxed" listen (it is not a relaxed listening overall).

In short, the Yamaha YH-5000SE offers a sound that's got its very own character, somewhat reminiscent of the 1266 but with its own twist. It might not be the go-to for purists looking for flat, studio-like accuracy, but if you're after headphones that bring personality to your music, these are definitely worth a listen. I'm excited to see how my thoughts evolve the more I use them.

YH-5000SE impressions!
YH5000SE is a really interesting headphone, gets a lot right and a lot wrong.

Build and Comfort-
The build and comfort of the YH5k is exceptional. The suspension strap combined with the general lightweightness of the rest of the headphone due to it's use of very high quality materials like magnesium means I can wear this headphone all day. And because they used such high quality materials it really feels like this headphone was designed to last. It feels solid everywhere and is extremely confidence inspiring to hold and use. I can't say that much about the cable as it's really horrible. It's noisy, too long, too thick, and all around the worst stock cable I've used since the hifiman catheter days, brutal. Overall however I really can't say too much is wrong with the build of this, it gets everything here almost exactly right. This is infuriating.

The Sound-
This is what I imagine the very first iteration of this headphone sounded like. They got it to make noise and figured this was enough for it to sell. The tuning of the headphone is all over the place with massive peaks and valleys everywhere. Technically the headphone doesn't really excel at anything, the dynamic range feels pretty small, the soundstage is no more than fine, there is little to no slam, and it's not particularly detailed. The one thing it does somewhat right is that it has good macro contrast on the attack of plucked strings. Plucked strings hit you in a way that no other headphone really does and I find that very pleasing, until the decay just doesn't happen at all and it sounds like that string was plucked and then removed from the mix entirely. Overall exceedingly disappointing. It sounds bad even for podcasts.

The Conclusion-
I really wish this headphone was even a little bit good because I can put up with a really mediocre sounding headphone if it's truly comfortable but this sounds so abysmal that using it just makes me mad. I really don't understand how Yamaha got this so right in the 80s and now that we have great measurement systems and tons of research available waffled into making maybe the worst headphone I've heard over 20 bucks. Tragic

Did you guys use a DAP? No mention of the chain used….

And @Pokelij please don’t tell me you used the dongle in the picture for the Yamahas…..

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,529 of 1,553
Does anyone uses an after market cables for the yammy? I want to build a custom one. I see that the 3.5 connectors must be a bit more narrow than normal ones, however when I plugged in a 3.5 connector to the headphone it snapped, but felt a bit less secure than the stock one.
I use a custom Brise cable. I believe they use the universal 3.5 connector, which is simply longer in length at the connection point.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,530 of 1,553
There's a notch on the rim of the original connector that helps keep it in place if I remember correctly. That's probably why the stock one feels more secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back