Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Aug 27, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,171 of 1,588
Anyone know the size of driver in the YH-5000SE's? I can't seem to find it on the web.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,173 of 1,588
Aug 27, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,174 of 1,588
I just bought YH-5000SE a few months ago. And I've been listening to many devices these months but those hasn’t quite matched well with the headphone. So I'm wondering what kind of amps and DACs you guys use to listen to your YH-5000SE?
Which amps/dacs have you been using?

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,176 of 1,588
I use phonitor xe +Hugo 2 to listen to the YH5000SE and MDR-CD3000, but YH5000SE sounds less detailed than the CD3000.
That’s surprising. From all the reviews, the YH-5000SE’s seem to have a ton of details.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,177 of 1,588
I use phonitor xe +Hugo 2 to listen to the YH5000SE and MDR-CD3000, but YH5000SE sounds less detailed than the CD3000.
It can't be true, YH5000 SE compared to a year 1991 HP, and the 1991 wins ??? How come. I think it takes a lot really a lot to convince others that this is really the case!
There is a whole thread on this Sony 1991 cans: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...the-legendary-prince-aka-baby-mdr-r10.845464/
and accordingly to the posts there on the 1991 SQ it just don't make sense that the 5000 is less detail than the 1991 ..

Btw I also have the 5000 and when compared to my other HPs like HD800, MDR-Z1R, HEDDPhone, the 5000's resolution is top notch .. but if this really the case for you then the 5000 is not for you.

EDIT:
The 1991 has a "bright treble", "the highs was too prominent and overshadowed other parts of the sound", according to the above thread, may be its this brightness that gives you a false sense of "details" just like the Grado 325!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,178 of 1,588
It can't be true, YH5000 SE compared to a year 1991 HP, and the 1991 wins ??? How come. I think it takes a lot really a lot to convince others that this is really the case!
There is a whole thread on this Sony 1991 cans: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...the-legendary-prince-aka-baby-mdr-r10.845464/
and accordingly to the posts there on the 1991 SQ it just don't make sense that the 5000 is less detail than the 1991 ..

Btw I also have the 5000 and when compared to my other HPs like HD800, MDR-Z1R, HEDDPhone, the 5000's resolution is top notch .. but if this really the case for you then the 5000 is not for you.

EDIT:
The 1991 has a "bright treble", "the highs was too prominent and overshadowed other parts of the sound", according to the above thread, may be its this brightness that gives you a false sense of "details" just like the Grado 325!
I'm not talking about resolution. the details I said is more like completeness of the sound. What I am pursuing is if 5000 can completely present the sounds of instruments?

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,179 of 1,588
It can be somewhat fallacious to believe that something newer and/or more expensive must be more better.

I have a couple ultra-high end preamps and amps from Japan during the Golden Age of HiFi, and I must say, they’re amongst the best I’ve ever come across despite being closer to my father’s age.

Audio isn’t quite like any other electronic products… most designs are still following the very same principles that have been used for decades. There are only so many ways to amplify a signal and move a diaphragm. Engineers had already managed to reach those heights, it just required more $$$$ and R&D to do so back in those days. 😁

Unfortunately, I’ve not yet heard the YH-5000 or the CD3000; this post is more about sharing my observations. Not saying that there has been zero progress over the past few decades, but rather it’s common for us humans to get caught up in marketing for the latest and “greatest.”

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #1,180 of 1,588
I'm not talking about resolution. the details I said is more like completeness of the sound. What I am pursuing is if 5000 can completely present the sounds of instruments?
Never mind the terms you prefers .. it boils down to if a track say has 10 salient sound/data points and your 1991 picks up say all 10 and are you saying that the 5000 say just picks up like 7?? If this is so it would be strange. What tracks are you listening to? If you can point out what point/segment of sound reproduction of the track that the 5000 isn't reproducing (either not at all or reproduced differently), I can do the audition myself to see what's going on .. fiy, I can either use my RME ADI-2 Pro FS + RNHP Amp or my Meier Corda Soul + SPL Phonitor 2 to verify and report back.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #1,181 of 1,588
It can be somewhat fallacious to believe that something newer and/or more expensive must be more better.

I have a couple ultra-high end preamps and amps from Japan during the Golden Age of HiFi, and I must say, they’re amongst the best I’ve ever come across despite being closer to my father’s age.

Audio isn’t quite like any other electronic products… most designs are still following the very same principles that have been used for decades. There are only so many ways to amplify a signal and move a diaphragm. Engineers had already managed to reach those heights, it just required more $$$$ and R&D to do so back in those days. 😁

Unfortunately, I’ve not yet heard the YH-5000 or the CD3000; this post is more about sharing my observations. Not saying that there has been zero progress over the past few decades, but rather it’s common for us humans to get caught up in marketing for the latest and “greatest.”
Of course there might be exception to all technological advances that there might exist some old products which could still be strong contender of the latest !!!
I'm actually and specifically trying to dig deeper on what qcezads123 has reported about the 5000 vs the 1991, and not interested in / nor my intention to test a general "believe/ claim" that "new is always better than old". To me generality without specific context and boundary is always preposterous ..

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,182 of 1,588

I have the Hugo 2 as well. Although, I auditioned the YH5k on a Sony TA-ZH1ES using a A&K DAP and found it to be relaxing, smooth and with plenty of detail. Detail is often describing depth and clarity of instruments.

I only spent less than 10 minutes with the HP. You own the HP so I trust your judgement. I am looking to visit Yodobashi in Tokyo in OCT. I will make sure to test it again on various DAC/AMP combinations. Although, I will be listening to it on the Hugo 2 or directly from the HP jack on the Acuphase 3850. This will replace my Sen 700HD as my "goto" HP for listening to music, watching TV and video games.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #1,183 of 1,588
Hey friends, I finally got my own pair of Yamaha YH-5000Se and wanted to share my findings on the initial un-box and listening. I will eventually make a follow-up video on the TSAV channel. So, after 24 hours of burn, it is pretty audible how much the sound has already changed in the Yamaha YH-5000 SE. I have been taking some notes. The bass was very loose on the first couple of hours of listening, and the treble sounded a bit rolled off. I listened for a few hours yesterday, then let them burn in for another 12-16 hours overnight or about 24 hours or so of constant burn-in, and this morning, now listening again, the bass is much tighter, and the treble is much further extended. I suspect that the reports from NYC Can Jam and The Audio Store, which had them on display for listening, were due to a lack of burn-in and under-delivering current from an amp that is only capable of about a watt of power output (based on can jam user reports via Head-Fi). Stay tuned for further reports on our TSAV YouTube channel. P.S. I love these headphones, and I haven't been this excited to listen to headphones in a very long time. 🎉

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 8, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #1,184 of 1,588
Hey guys. I just purchased a 1266 Phi TC but found myself unsure of the fit and decided to list them for trade/sale. I was offered and decided to accept a trade for the YH-5000se. I will receive next week. What is luring me and ultimately caused me to pull the trigger is impressions that the separation is fantastic with lots of layers. i owned a Snorry NM1 which excelled in these ares but ultimately sounded meh every where else …. But it was enough to hold on to them until the end when I “quit“ the hobby after I purchased a home and had a dedicated 2 channel room built in my basement. I went through a lot of amps trying to find a great match with my super efficient speakers and found that the ampsandsound Bigger Ben Rev 2 was the ideal match…..but what to do about it being a headphone amp primarily? LOL. Hopefully the Yammy is a good match and an ideal compliment to my Meze Elite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back