Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Jul 23, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,141 of 1,588
We have a very special video today! The Yamaha YH-5000SE Orthodynamic Open Back Flagship Headphones; other flagship headphones dethroned?

#yamaha #yamahaaudio #yamahahomeaudio #yamahaorthodynamic #YAMAHAYH5000SE #headphones #highendaudio #hifi #hifiaudio #hifisound #headfi #flagshipheadphones #planarmagnetic

I know how you feel. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,142 of 1,588
I’ve been following this thread for a while, I’m very surprised that there is not much impressions of these headphones on various DAPs. I’m primarily a portable (I.E. DAP, dongle ) user, I don’t have a desktop set up. Only one I see is SP3000. Any other DAPs that do these headphones justice?

M17/M15S

NOMAX

PS.lol

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #1,144 of 1,588
How's the sound stage? I'm particularly interested in being able to pinpoint where each instrument is coming from. Most of the time I use my K712 Pros for the sound stage which is important for competitive gaming.
Not HD800S wide but when it comes to positioning and localization of every performer , I think that it is among the two - three best on the planet if not the best.

Jul 26, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,145 of 1,588
I have to say I am so happy to have tried these headphones. At this point, I really feel they are worth saving for. I do, however, want to audition them again and further using some of my own personal music sources to get a more complete picture.

I’m excited again. Look forward to trying to attain these headphones. They are unique and worth anyone’s attention who absolutely loves this hobby of ours.

Happy listening, gents and possible ladies. 😌

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,146 of 1,588
How's the sound stage? I'm particularly interested in being able to pinpoint where each instrument is coming from. Most of the time I use my K712 Pros for the sound stage which is important for competitive gaming.
Unfortunately I cannot comment how they work on gaming (i play only Pokemon Go), though, I agree Ichos. Precise sound stage is the most (or, one of the most) competitive feature of YH-5000SE among the headphones I have tried, including HD800S and LCD5.

Here is my comment on the point from my first impression post.

Soundstage:
Excellent. The soundstage quality is the most attractive feature of YH. Believe me, I use HD800S for daily listening, and even though I say this. The width may be a bit smaller than HD800s. Height is similar but not the highest (imo ak701y3 is the highest). Depth (front-and-rear direction, or Z axis) is the best in the three dimensions. Well, I wrote "soundstage quality". YH-5000se shows me where in the stage each of the players is, or, for pop and rock, what post-production engineers intended to place each musician. Not only side-by-side, but also front/rear and low/high relations. Say, in the above recording of Mozart, the double-bass section stays a bit right and behind the cello team. Normally I can see they stay right of the cellos. I found that I have missed front/rear information for more than a decade. For studio recording, for example in "Welcome to Japari Park", many "animal girls" sing and chant. Their positioning intended by the composer/guitarist/engineer Oishi is very clear. I found that he added his own small voice behind everything with small sound images. Ah, I wrote about the details too much. The 3D holographic reproduction takes me to the concert hall. I can see the orchestra on the stage from a center-middle seat, and it is also possible to find each instrument. This is what I expected for a long time.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,147 of 1,588
Aug 2, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,149 of 1,588
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,151 of 1,588
Aug 9, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,154 of 1,588
After giving up on open-back headphones, these (along with the D8000 LE) have reignited my curiosity once again.

This will sound like a silly question, but how much do these sound "like headphones"? What I mean is this: with open-back headphones you obviously have a sense of the larger open space around you and how sound would feel within it even if the room is quiet, while simultaneously having a sense of the close proximity of the sound coming out of the headphones. This results in headphone output being perceived as coming from right next to your ear and this perception is magnified by the openness of the space around you being noticeable thanks to the phones being open. For all their disadvantages, closed headphones can create an illusion of sound coming from around you like with speakers, even if it means making you feel like you are inside a much smaller space. And that's precisely what has led me toward closed headphones that "don't feel like headphones" in lieu of speakers.

That said, some open headphones can be worse than others when it comes to this factor, and I'm wondering where these might land in that spectrum.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,155 of 1,588
After giving up on open-back headphones, these (along with the D8000 LE) have reignited my curiosity once again.

This will sound like a silly question, but how much do these sound "like headphones"? What I mean is this: with open-back headphones you obviously have a sense of the larger open space around you and how sound would feel within it even if the room is quiet, while simultaneously having a sense of the close proximity of the sound coming out of the headphones. This results in headphone output being perceived as coming from right next to your ear and this perception is magnified by the openness of the space around you being noticeable thanks to the phones being open. For all their disadvantages, closed headphones can create an illusion of sound coming from around you like with speakers, even if it means making you feel like you are inside a much smaller space. And that's precisely what has led me toward closed headphones that "don't feel like headphones" in lieu of speakers.

That said, some open headphones can be worse than others when it comes to this factor, and I'm wondering where these might land in that spectrum.

All headphones sound like headphones, closed or open. Only one for me that feels like something extra is going on is the HD800/s due to its construction and the space it gives the music. So if people are saying this is slightly smaller soundstage then that, I think that is your answer. It will still feel like a headphone.

What closed are you liking ? I have the DCA stealth and while it doesn't sound like a closed HP, it still a HP experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back