Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Mar 9, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #886 of 1,563
If the bass distortion is anything like the Focal driver clipping issue, its impact will be very dependent on the listener and their desired volume. I have a Focal Elex which does exhibit the driver clipping issue, but I've never heard it when actually listening at my normal volume. Only when I put it on my measurement rig and tried to measure it (at volumes far louder than I would ever listen) did I notice the clipping (mainly because REW would abort the measurement). At a meet last year, I was listening 10 to 15 dB lower than most other people there, so I'm fairly certain I wouldn't notice it unless it was present at even lower volumes than the Focal. The driver clipping issue didn't seem to really affect Focal's success in the headphone market, so it might be a similar case here.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #887 of 1,563
Im just saying, this also is warning also for certain ppl audiophiller that maybe just like to listen loud, sure, im agree, audition is the best one but its kindda a warning not to blindbuy them based on listening habit after knew this trait, like in my case that i knew recently, my associate audiophille member, blind buy focal headphone but he immediately returned it just because it was clipped and he considered that as deal breaker.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #888 of 1,563
Auditioning gear is always best and I wish it were easier for most of us. I really only jumped in this thread because my subjective impressions didn't match the FR I saw posted.

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #889 of 1,563
If people are listening at a volume where they can hear distorted bass, they're in for an unpleasant surprise in a couple years when their hearing starts to degrade.

Most people listen louder than what professionals recommend already, but I have to get these to ~100 db before any bass weirdness starts. NIOSH recommends <85 db for more than eight hours of continuous exposure, and no more than 90 db for more than two continuous hours.

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #890 of 1,563
If people are listening at a volume where they can hear distorted bass, they're in for an unpleasant surprise in a couple years when their hearing starts to degrade.

Most people listen louder than what professionals recommend already, but I have to get these to ~100 db before any bass weirdness starts. NIOSH recommends <85 db for more than eight hours of continuous exposure, and no more than 90 db for more than two continuous hours.
Sure but you can turn Billie Eilish way up for a couple of minutes, if you're in the mood sometimes. I try to listen at reasonable volumes for longer sessions, but sometimes you wanna crank something for just a minute. It's not the headphone for that and that's fine. That's what Abyss is for. I have way more tolerance for bass at high volumes than I do treble.

Conversely the Yamaha is absolutely stunning with string instruments, naturalism and treble detail. It's got a sweetness there that I can only describle as pleasantly reminiscent of the Moondrop Chaconne, which I've always loved. Nostalgic.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #891 of 1,563
I did experience the clipping, though on a very bass heavy track and at volumes far louder than I'd ever listen.
Other headphones like Focal and Final do also do this.
IDK, something to be aware of if you listen loud, but if you listen at normal volumes I don't think it's a problem.

I didn't like the headphones mostly due to the treble unfortunately. Beautifully built but just didn't enjoy the sound at all
can you elaborate on why you didn't enjoy the sound?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #893 of 1,563
just placed my order for a sealed, unopened yh-5000se from an auction site. hope i could receive this pretty soon :)

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #894 of 1,563
can you elaborate on why you didn't enjoy the sound?
With the stock pads (not the suede ones) the treble was extremely peaky and fatiguing. Just could not listen long and most of the others there seemed to have similar impressions.
The Suede pads helped a lot, but didn't fix it entirely. There seems to be some sort of missing area around 500hz-1khz or so, couldn't quite pinpoint it but it made a lot of vocals sound weird, then leading into quite peaky and unbalanced treble and it just wasn't a great experience.

Build and comfort are absolutely top notch. Beautifully built headphone, but it's got some issues.
If you have used beyerdynamics extensively that'll probably give you a bit of an idea as to how these are gonna sound tbh

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #896 of 1,563
With the stock pads (not the suede ones) the treble was extremely peaky and fatiguing. Just could not listen long and most of the others there seemed to have similar impressions.
The Suede pads helped a lot, but didn't fix it entirely. There seems to be some sort of missing area around 500hz-1khz or so, couldn't quite pinpoint it but it made a lot of vocals sound weird, then leading into quite peaky and unbalanced treble and it just wasn't a great experience.

Build and comfort are absolutely top notch. Beautifully built headphone, but it's got some issues.
If you have used beyerdynamics extensively that'll probably give you a bit of an idea as to how these are gonna sound tbh
thanks. so i assume that the d8000 pro le's tuning is more to your liking.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #897 of 1,563
I got the YH-5000SE for about a month.
I feel this headset is very sensitive to the front end.
The suede pads have more low-frequency sense than the leather ear pads.
But the space is smaller than the leather ear pads.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #898 of 1,563
I got the YH-5000SE for about a month.
I feel this headset is very sensitive to the front end.
The suede pads have more low-frequency sense than the leather ear pads.
But the space is smaller than the leather ear pads.
How does it compare to the d8000 pro?

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #899 of 1,563
How does it compare to the d8000 pro?
YH-5000SE will have more treble than D8000 Pro.
The sound basic and space of both are similar.
But YH-5000SE seems to be distorted in the presentation of musical instruments.
I think the YH-5000 is more sensitive to equipment changes than the D8000 Pro.

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #900 of 1,563
I really don't think the final d8000 and the yamaha yh-5000se sound anything alike.

People are comparing them due to the manufacturing association. But the driver is different, the headphone construction and front volume are different, the damping mechanism is different and the pads are different.

They're entirely different headphones. I don't think people should be comparing these two specifically as much as they are. They share almost nothing in common in terms of sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back