Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #857 of 1,563
wrong forum, this $5000 headphone should be in the high-end forum
Technically speaking, it's not a $5000 headphone. It's a $5000 special edition package.

Still, it absolutely deserves to be under the High-End section of Head-Fi! I instead opened it under the normal section, this way more people can tune in and discuss it. A lot of us don't check the High-End section regularly, so it's easy to miss anything new. The Meze Empyrean thread is also here, and I think it's for that very same reason.

Mar 8, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #858 of 1,563
^ i don't think it's an issue as i see that folks who frequent the high-end forum have managed to find their way to this thread, myself included

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #861 of 1,563
that review is less than enthusiastic, I read it earlier today...you have to learn to read between the lines on different reviewers

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #862 of 1,563
that review is less than enthusiastic, I read it earlier today...you have to learn to read between the lines on different reviewers
The only part that felt less than enthusiastic to me was the initial impression, in stark contrast to the actual impressions once the reviewer gave the Yamaha the time and attention needed. In the end, the reviewer calls it ingenious, thinks it comes closer to electrostats than any other planar, puts it on the same level as the D8000 Pro, and gives it full marks on every evaluation criteria. His biggest complaint, in fact, seems to be the weight of the cables.

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #863 of 1,563
The only part that felt less than enthusiastic to me was the initial impression, in stark contrast to the actual impressions once the reviewer gave the Yamaha the time and attention needed. In the end, the reviewer calls it ingenious, thinks it comes closer to electrostats than any other planar, puts it on the same level as the D8000 Pro, and gives it full marks on every evaluation criteria. His biggest complaint, in fact, seems to be the weight of the cables.
Knowing how enthusiastic Fidelio usually gets about stuff, the review does seem pretty "meh" tbh. I'm still kind of interested in the Yamahas, but impressions are super polarizing.

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #864 of 1,563
Knowing how enthusiastic Fidelio usually gets about stuff, the review does seem pretty "meh" tbh. I'm still kind of interested in the Yamahas, but impressions are super polarizing.
I've never read the guy before, but if a review this florid and overwritten, that ends by putting this "new milestone towards audio nirvana" on its "well deserved space on Mount Olympus," is an example of a "meh" review, then I can hardly imagine what a glowing review would read like.

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #865 of 1,563
read reviews he has of other HP's that he really likes...this review was tepid at best

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #866 of 1,563
read reviews he has of other HP's that he really likes...this review was tepid at best
I tried but I honestly don’t enjoy this guy’s writing, so I’ll take your word for it.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #867 of 1,563

If a 5/5 in every category means "tepid"...what is even the point of having a score in the first place?

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #868 of 1,563
read the most recent review of the raal ca-1a and then read this review...pretty stark...that said it is one mans view so it isnt worth a big argument

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #869 of 1,563
read the most recent review of the raal ca-1a and then read this review...pretty stark...that said it is one mans view so it isnt worth a big argument
Ha. Even better, listen to the CA-1a and then listen to the YH-5000.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #870 of 1,563
I own the CA and listened to the YH-5000...with all due respect no contest..no offense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back