Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Dec 6, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #347 of 1,553
Fortunately, I happened to have HD800s with me now.
I measured the size of the outer grill of the HD800s's 56mm driver. From the outer edge of the mesh to the shoulder of the other side of the mesh was 50mm.
kensho3.png

We can see Yamaha's 50mm diaphragm and its cover metal part in the photo of the headphone festival in Tokyo this September.
kensho2.png

Then we can compare whole pictures of those two on the same scale.
kensho1.png
kensho4.png

kensho5.png

Measuring from the first image of the comparison, the diameter of the earpad of YH-5000SE is 28% shorter than the height of the earpad of HD800S.

Photos
YH-5000SE: Yamaha's Official web
HD800s: Sennheiser's Official web + a Webshop (side view)
Why is one $1500 and the other $6000? Makes no sense.

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #349 of 1,553
Construction
There's a LOT more to it than just construction.

I find these sort of questions and comparisons understandable, but remember that this is the Special Edition. It's limited, it's exclusive. Take Meze for example, they charged $1k more just for the finish on their limited edition of the Empyrean.

With the YH-5000SE, you are just getting an early access to the YH-5000, paired with all the premium accessories and each unit being nubmered (serial no. featured on the headband).

Conclusion: YH-5000 is not a $6000 headphone.

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #351 of 1,553
Dec 6, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #353 of 1,553
Dec 6, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #354 of 1,553
It's excels at being limp and boring even when amped properly. It doesn't compare to the Utopia or a number of other flagships.
Yeah dynamics dynamic headphones do better then ortodynamics in that department. Makes sense they can move more more air faster with bigger throw.

Do they have some vplanar tech or something to reduce this issue some? Ether c flow with its tech is a bit better then the lcd 2 but still not comparable with dynamics. Ananda is perhaps the best example of dynamic compression I have heard.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #355 of 1,553
Yeah dynamics dynamic headphones do better then ortodynamics in that department. Makes sense they can move more more air faster with bigger throw.

Do they have some vplanar tech or something to reduce this issue some? Ether c flow with its tech is a bit better then the lcd 2 but still not comparable with dynamics. Ananda is perhaps the best example of dynamic compression I have heard.
That's not really an issue with most headphones. Check out this guy's experiment with dynamic compression in various headphones during his review of the SRH-1840:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/shure/srh-1840/

Basically, most headphones have identical frequency response plots between 55db and 90db. This means the drivers don't suffer from dynamic compression loss. So I would imagine Yamaha designed their headphone completely enough for this not to be an issue.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #356 of 1,553
That's not really an issue with most headphones. Check out this guy's experiment with dynamic compression in various headphones during his review of the SRH-1840:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/shure/srh-1840/

Basically, most headphones have identical frequency response plots between 55db and 90db. This means the drivers don't suffer from dynamic compression loss. So I would imagine Yamaha designed their headphone completely enough for this not to be an issue.
You want it to be able to go to eleven as well :wink:

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #357 of 1,553
You want it to be able to go to eleven as well :wink:
Like when you try to get bass out of a Focal headphone and it just distorts? Lol

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #358 of 1,553
Like when you try to get bass out of a Focal headphone and it just distorts? Lol
A reference to spinal tap :) But 120 db peaks is a common goal in mastering. orthos can get there too of course but there is a difference I noticed with all the orthos I tried versus dynamics how they handle pianissimo vs fortissimo :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #360 of 1,553
This gives me another reason to fly to Japan on holiday next year. I wonder how much it would cost me to purchase these from Tokyo/Osaka tax free, and if they’d be readily available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back