Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #166 of 1,553
Yamaha is finally making a return to the orthodynamic headphones field. Not only is it making a return, it's making a return in full force.

For those unaware, Yamaha played a major role in history when it comes to orthodynamic headphones. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that it's among the most important and influential names in the history of orthodynamics. It was a very early adopter of the then-new technology. The 70's were a very important period in time for planar-magnetic headphones. While Fostex made its name with the "T" series of headphones, Yamaha had a different approach. It made its first appearance in 1975 with the HP-1 headphones, designed by none other than Mario Bellini (who would desig several other headphones for Yamaha). While the majority of companies entering the new market of orthodynamics struggled with sales, Yamaha clearly had the experience and the financial resources to make a dominant entrance into the market. To sum up its active years in the field, the HP series consisted of 8 models (HP-1, HP-2, HP-3, HP-1000, HP-50, HP-50S, HP-50A, HP-50M), the YH series consisted of 6 models (YH-1000, YH-1, YH-2 , YH-3, YH-5M, YH-100), the YHD series consisted of 3 models (YHD-1, YHD-2, YHD-3), and the YHE series consisted of 2 models (YHE-50A, YHE-50S). According to Wikiphonia (@Faust2D), Yamaha was active for 14 years in the orthodynamic headphone industry (1975-1989).

@Faust2D deserves major praise for his contributions in collecting educative and informational material about headphones, gifting this industry with Wikiphonia. Thanks to him, you can read about Yamaha's orthodynamic headphone lineup history:
https://web.archive.org/web/2015052...x.php?title=Yamaha_Orthodynamic_Line_Overview

After 33 years, Yamaha is making a return. However, it's no ordinary return. Oh no, Yamaha could've never done something like that. Not after three decades of being absent! It's making a return in proper Yamaha fashion. The newly-announced YH-5000SE is a flagship orthodynamic headphone that is a direct successor to the HP-1.

Yamaha Orthodynamic driver diagram, fragment from Yamaha brochure
Picture of HP-1's driver.

I am waiting for Yamaha to officially release some information about the YH-5000SE, as well as some photos. Until then, share your thoughts and impressions (if you have them).

UPDATE (17/11/22): MSRP ¥450,000 (JP) | $5000 (US) | $7500 (AU) | £4800 (UK)
Announcement post w/photos
The price is ridiculous bar none! With this price, you can get a projectors system, a nice theater systems, a nice motorcycle…etc…imagine it!!

But coming from an Elder of instruments producers ? Yeaaaaahhhh baby!!!

Honestly, what benchmarks there is better than from references instruments ?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #167 of 1,553
The price is ridiculous bar none! With this price, you can get a projectors system, a nice theater systems, a nice motorcycle…etc…imagine it!!
I cannot disagree, but I never hear these arguments with the other manufacturers. And like I said in the past, most of them just finesse [us. /fɪˈnes/ to deal with a situation or a person in a skillful and often slightly dishonest way] the consumers. The slang definition is more relevant, finesse as in manipulating someone. Yamaha clearly poured a ton of money into making these real, the R&D department invested their all. You cannot say the same for all other flagships in the market! I doubt they have the passion, and certainly do not have the money to work on something for so many years. Usually, with the newcomers in the flagship market, they approach starts with the price, not the product. I think for some it's more of a, "How can I make a product that is convincing enough for people to pay this price". Of course, those are jut speculations and observations coming from myself. I could be completely wrong!

For example, I think it's not exactly smart to compare what you can buy instead — there are 'audiophile' cables that cost tens of thousands of dollars. In my eyes, as long as the buyer is happy with what they're buying and feels that they got their money's worth, the price is justified. I don't think anyone has the right to judge something's value if they are not the one purchasing it. The value one would get from X is the value someone would get from Y. The overall satisfaction and value you'd get from a projector system or a motorcycle is the same satisfaction and value someone would get from a headphone or something else.

We are all humans, we all come from different backgrounds, we all have different interests =) There are no rules, and if there's someone who understands that, it's you, Vince! Try explaining any of your many discoveries (you know what I'm talking about) in the audiophile field to the outsiders. It's impossible.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #168 of 1,553
I am pretty sure, @TSAVJason meant trader prices and trader price sheets, not retail prices.
Yes I’m talking about what we resellers pay for them not the retail price. This cost has not been announced to us dealers yet

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 23, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #170 of 1,553
Just keep in mind that this 5000 series is a part of Yamaha current flagship line up, including turntable, Preamp, amp, speakers, and the first time for a long time, a flagship headphones.
Indeed, and these flagship products have received high praise, especially when compared to their much more expensive competition in the high-end.

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #171 of 1,553
I'm quite skeptical this will be so different from the D8K but I'm willing to give it a shot based upon earned legacy.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #172 of 1,553
If you happen to be based in the Netherlands, I believe you will have a chance to listen to the YH-5000SE at the https://audioshowiear.nl/ (happening in 2 days).
Thanks for the heads-up. I am going to that show saturday. For the demo, I had to submit a form with my reasoning and three titles I wanted to listen. I had a hard time picking three.

Nov 24, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #173 of 1,553
I'm quite skeptical this will be so different from the D8K but I'm willing to give it a shot based upon earned legacy.
The ear pads and inner chamber are completely different, so it will likely sound nothing like the D8K.

Nov 24, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #174 of 1,553
The ear pads and inner chamber are completely different, so it will likely sound nothing like the D8K.
I don’t know about D8K, never paid attentions , but Yamaha sure do give me a jolt! Now, since they stated that they made that driver for Final, this makes a lot more senses as of why people like it

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #176 of 1,553
They are significantly lighter than D8K(which I had problem with fit) so if they sound identical to D8K it could only mean good things to D8K fans.
Honestly, I don’t think I would be able to find another headphones that is lighter than HD800S. Yamaha pulled it, this alone will sell (at least to me). I don’t want to wear something that look so (abysmal) and also weighing a ton on the head

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #178 of 1,553
I don’t want to wear something that look so (abysmal) and also weighing a ton on the head
THIS.

The flagship and high-end headphones market has been missing a lightweight model that has 'TOTL' performance, and at the same time, looks good enough to be worn casually. Most audiophile headphones look bizarre, and that's yet another reason I'm excited for these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back