Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #781 of 1,563
I had a nice, private session with the YH-5000SE earlier today. It's easily among the best built and most comfortable headphones I've ever used, although the actual design can come off steampunk-like (appeals to me). Excuse the purple lighting, Yamaha decided this ambient lighting enhanced the experience lol:

20230224_104451.jpg
20230224_104642.jpg
20230224_105233.jpg
20230224_105018.jpg

As you can see, Yamaha has decided to pair all demo units with the RME ADI-2. The local reps weren't sure why except that it was how everything was shipped with clear instructions to match them. They also mentioned the goal was to have a neutral sound without the most extension on either side to make for a non-fatiguing and natural presentation (their words, not mine). In practice, I did note the drop off in the sub-bass which makes this a more mid-bass focused set followed by some of the best mids reproduction. Indeed, I kept thinking about how this is a better HD 650 in that regard, although I would have preferred some more ear gain and upper mids presence. String instruments and piano keys do get their fair dues at the expense of vocals, especially female vocals. The upper treble also dips down but doesn't feel as dark to where orchestral music should be plenty fine here. Overall I'd like to get a set in for review and to see what this can do paired with other sources as I was getting close to maxing out the RME in the default settings they had, I couldn't change anything on it. They also said the UK is getting all of 30 units this year and that right now the team in Japan can't make sets fast enough to fulfill the pre-orders.
Thanks for the notes. Were you by chance, able to test the other pads and how they compare?

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #782 of 1,563
I had a nice, private session with the YH-5000SE earlier today. It's easily among the best built and most comfortable headphones I've ever used, although the actual design can come off steampunk-like (appeals to me). Excuse the purple lighting, Yamaha decided this ambient lighting enhanced the experience lol:

20230224_104451.jpg
20230224_104642.jpg
20230224_105233.jpg
20230224_105018.jpg

As you can see, Yamaha has decided to pair all demo units with the RME ADI-2. The local reps weren't sure why except that it was how everything was shipped with clear instructions to match them. They also mentioned the goal was to have a neutral sound without the most extension on either side to make for a non-fatiguing and natural presentation (their words, not mine). In practice, I did note the drop off in the sub-bass which makes this a more mid-bass focused set followed by some of the best mids reproduction. Indeed, I kept thinking about how this is a better HD 650 in that regard, although I would have preferred some more ear gain and upper mids presence. String instruments and piano keys do get their fair dues at the expense of vocals, especially female vocals. The upper treble also dips down but doesn't feel as dark to where orchestral music should be plenty fine here. Overall I'd like to get a set in for review and to see what this can do paired with other sources as I was getting close to maxing out the RME in the default settings they had, I couldn't change anything on it. They also said the UK is getting all of 30 units this year and that right now the team in Japan can't make sets fast enough to fulfill the pre-orders.
I wonder now, what settings they use on the ADI-2 as that can alter the sound quite significantly. RME seems to be the preferred demo unit for Yamaha.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #783 of 1,563
Thanks for the notes. Were you by chance, able to test the other pads and how they compare?
I asked but they didn't want to do that. This was at the Yamaha room at the Bristol Audio Show which lasts through the weekend. So while I was the first person to try at the show I suppose they didn't want to change anything for anyone else thereafter. The other pads looked like hybrid ones with a velour surface and fenestrated leather on the inside + solid leather on the outside. If anything, that might just make the sub-bass dip more pronounced and I didn't have any comfort issues with the stock leather pads anyway.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #784 of 1,563
I asked but they didn't want to do that. This was at the Yamaha room at the Bristol Audio Show which lasts through the weekend. So while I was the first person to try at the show I suppose they didn't want to change anything for anyone else thereafter. The other pads looked like hybrid ones with a velour surface and fenestrated leather on the inside + solid leather on the outside. If anything, that might just make the sub-bass dip more pronounced and I didn't have any comfort issues with the stock leather pads anyway.
So what was your overall impression compared to other flagships?

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #785 of 1,563
So what was your overall impression compared to other flagships?
I can't really say much because the demo session was so locked down. The installed pads were also not brand new. Sorry if it feels like a cop out but it's not going to be a proper comparison with the time I had.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #786 of 1,563
My Z1R's also have an eccentric tuning and for me, as good as it was for certain stuff, the excitement wore off after a few years and I find myself wanting more and more neutrality and a do-it-all headphone, as opposed to this kind of approach.
Man, I miss my Z1R's on rare occasions, but only rarely. The VC's more natural tuning allowed it to be a better do-it-all pair.

But, I have to agree, at least it's unique and shines in some niche.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #787 of 1,563
Man, I miss my Z1R's on rare occasions, but only rarely. The VC's more natural tuning allowed it to be a better do-it-all pair.

But, I have to agree, at least it's unique and shines in some niche.
I thought about selling it, but I mostly use it for gaming now, and when I want to rock out to some stuff during work...it's great. I still miss the detail of the Elites, but that bass is just second to none so far. At least in fun :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #788 of 1,563
Another thing that I would like to say about this headphone is how well does it pair with DAPs? I’m looking at stuff like the SP3000, the P6 Pro and whenever that rumored LP7 drops. I’m not a headphone guy but have been curious. I have an LCD i4 and just want a neutral headphone with excellent staging.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #789 of 1,563
Another thing that I would like to say about this headphone is how well does it pair with DAPs? I’m looking at stuff like the SP3000, the P6 Pro and whenever that rumored LP7 drops. I’m not a headphone guy but have been curious. I have an LCD i4 and just want a neutral headphone with excellent staging.
Two japanese posted comments on combo of YH-5000SE and SP3000.

"Balanced out of SP3000. With DAP, it has incredible staging and resolution" (audition at an event)
https://twitter.com/MrBullet_audio/status/1593813369386979329

"Volume 75 of SP3000. Comfortable listening. Classical music will demand more volume, but still enough" (an owner)
https://twitter.com/kansan/status/1620664923109068800

Some others mentioned DAP (non specified) and YH-5000SE. In general, they agree that power is enough thanks to high sensitivity and impedance of YH, but quality not always satisfied them.

I myself do not have a good DAP so I cannot tell my own impression, though, with iFi gryphon's 3.5mm out it sounded well.

You can find more from my translations bellow:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #791 of 1,563
A review from Korea with lots of graphs and analysis. I think the English subtitles are a little confusing in places. But it's a unique style of review.

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #793 of 1,563
No one has listened to them at CanJam NYC yet?
20230225_105113.jpg

I had a chance to listen to them on the Suede pads. First impressions are mostly positive.

I plan on listening again on the leather to help form more opinions on them, but the one thing that stands out is how the comfort is unbeatable for a Planar.

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #794 of 1,563
20230225_105113.jpg

I had a chance to listen to them on the Suede pads. First impressions are mostly positive.

I plan on listening again on the leather to help form more opinions on them, but the one thing that stands out is how the comfort is unbeatable for a Planar.
I think we have comfort down :p How is it vs D8k Pro Le?

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #795 of 1,563
I think we have comfort down :p How is it vs D8k Pro Le?

Outside of comfort (I know, I know LOL) and build, D8K Pro LE is superior, without a doubt, based on my initial impressions on the suede pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back